The pope and apostles

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand all of the popes are descendants of Peter. Can a pope do everything that Peter could when he was alive? Did Peter bind anything on earth that made his descendants able to take up the mantle he had? Sorry to keep asking questions but this leads to another question. What did the apostles do to allow people to pick up their “power” (for lack of my ability to think of another word) after they were gone? I’ve heard of “laying on hands” what is this? Are the apostles’ descendants called Bishops or what now? Thanks for all of your help in my getting to better understand the workings of the church.

[quote=newbiefound]Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand all of the popes are descendants of Peter. Can a pope do everything that Peter could when he was alive? Did Peter bind anything on earth that made his descendants able to take up the mantle he had? Sorry to keep asking questions but this leads to another question. What did the apostles do to allow people to pick up their “power” (for lack of my ability to think of another word) after they were gone? I’ve heard of “laying on hands” what is this? Are the apostles’ descendants called Bishops or what now? Thanks for all of your help in my getting to better understand the workings of the church.
[/quote]

You are talking about the successors to the office of the papacy, not Peter’s “descendants.” Yes? The binding and loosing refers to the forgiveness of sins, not to how authority is passed on from one pope to another. The laying on of hands is the physical action that initiates the grace of ordination onto succeeding bishops, priests, and deacons. The pope is the Bishop of Rome and the Vicar of Christ for the whole Church.

Apostolic succession is conferred by “the laying on of hands,” or what is now called Ordination or Holy Orders. The Apostles were the first bishops. They ordained others to follow them by the laying on of hands.

St. Peter was the first pope. He eventually came to Rome and was bishop of that city. His successors succeed him in the Papacy when they are appointed or elected as Bishop of Rome.

The first four Popes were Peter, Linus, Anacletus, Clement.

I cannot recall anthing Peter bound, but I do know that he loosed the dietary restrictions and necessity of circumcision.

Here’s some scripture to support the Sacriment of Ordination. Enjoy!

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]Here’s some scripture to support the Sacriment of Ordination. Enjoy!

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

This is very helpful, I most appreciate it. From what I can tell this deals only with apostolic authority. Can you give me something similar for the papal authority?

ScriptureCatholic.com has a library for all the major topics. If you look at the left hand side, you’ll see them listed in gold.

Good luck, and God Bless,
RyanL

Apostolic authority and Peter’s authority are clear to me now. Thanks for your help. Who was the second “pope” that Peter laid hands on before he died? Did Peter or anyone else say that he would have powers like him? Again, thanks for your help.

Also a more direct question that I’m sure you guys know is: Can the pope command the other bishops? It’s clear that Peter was the top apostle but he didn’t seem to do any commanding. Are there any apologetics you guys can give me for this? Thank you all for your help, I’m trying my best to understand.

[quote=newbiefound]Apostolic authority and Peter’s authority are clear to me now. Thanks for your help. Who was the second “pope” that Peter laid hands on before he died? Did Peter or anyone else say that he would have powers like him? Again, thanks for your help.
[/quote]

St. Linus

Maybe I should rephrase the question. What authoritative powers does the pope have? What authoritative powers did Peter have? Are they the same?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.