The Pope in Sydney, Australia v Christianity

On the corner of Bligh St and Hunter St in downtown Sydney, Australia stands a long forgotten memorial to Richard Johnson with the following inscription:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN COMMEMORATION OF
THE FIRST CHRISTIAN SERVICE
HELD IN AUSTRALIA
FEBRUARY 3rd 1788

RICHARD JOHNSON B.A.
THE CHAPLAIN
BEING THE PREACHER

Richard Johnson had been hand-picked by the leading evangelicals John Newton (author of ‘Amazing Grace’) and William Wilberforce ( abolishment of slavery) as a suitable Bible believing, born again Christian to plant and propagate the gospel in Sydney, in fact Wilberforce had recommended him as such to the British Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger (they were very close friends).

Richard Johnson stood alone with his King James Bible in hand before a mixed congregation of godless soldiers, criminals and Irish Catholic rebels, the text of his sermon was from

**Psalm 116: **

12 ***What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? ***
13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

“I do not address you as Churchman or Dissenters, Roman Catholics or Protestants, as Jews or Gentiles…But I speak to you as mortals and yet immortals…
The gospel…proposes a free and gracious pardon to the guilty, cleansing to the polluted…happiness to the miserable”

Johnson faithfully preached Christ and Him crucified for 12 years in the State of New South Wales.

Over the years the two main downtown streets George (named after King George III the reigning monarch at that time) and Pitt (named after the British Prime Minister) have seen faithful men of the cross standing on these streets preaching Christ and Him crucified to the people of Sydney.

During WYD 2008 the State Government led by Roman Catholic politicians instituted unconstitutional laws to prevent anyone protesting against the popes visit including preventing the preaching of the gospel by Street Preachers. In answer to prayer, God used the ungodly homosexual coalition to challenge the State Government in the Federal Courts which overturned these laws.

It was sad to see the Prime Minister of Australia Kevin Rudd (who claims to be an evangelical Christian) and the Premier of NSW Morris Iemma (Roman Catholic) giving homage to and calling the pope ‘Holy Father’. It was also sad to see so called Christians Guy Sebastian and Darlene Zschech of Hillsong Church performing for the pope.

We are certainly living in the end-times of total apostacy.

However, a small remnant of Independent Fundamental King James Bible believing Baptists distributed over 4,000 gospel tracts and preached the gospel to thousands of pilgrims, and if only ONE soul got saved it would have been worth it all.

We are now bracing ourselves for God’s judgment to fall upon Sydney for allowing our great City and nation to be invaded by the Church of Rome.

Shame on you Sydney and you apostate ‘Christians’ for allowing this to happen. A city and nation that was founded on Biblical Christianity and not Roman Catholicism.

drbible1611
Street Preacher from Sydney

Sydney was invaded by Peace and Joy. Please Rome, invade us more!!!

And you know, it wouldn’t suprise me if, after the 4,000 Gospel tracts were handed out, a few of the people who read them DID convert to the Truth of Catholocism. THAT is what would have made it all worth it.

I’m glad that the Pope’s visit and all those pilgrims positively impacted you and the city, Charlie! :slight_smile:

Catholicism IS Biblical Christianity.

The original and still the best.

What a powerful testimony. The pope’s, that is. Thank you, Jesus, for granting your servant the pope such a successful visit to Sydney! Please continute to bless him abundantly!

One can only hope that those Atheists of the NoToPope Coalition will be on hand to defend true Christianity in Australia.

Do you mind sharing the Gospel with us Catholics here and now?
Lets see some of these tracts and us Catholics can see if these tracts are being faithful to Scripture.

I have no reason to accept your testimony and tracts until I compare them to what the Bible says.

Pope envy? :slight_smile:

Well … theoretically, one wouldn’t envy Catholics for having a pope if one simply decided to become his own pope by infallibly deciding on his own what the Bible really means and declaring anyone who disagrees “apostate.”

Why would you give out 4000 tracts to Christians? Wouldn’t it have been better to give them to those who are truly lost and don’t know Jesus?

Shame on you, drbible1611, for saying such hateful things about Christ’s One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I pray that the Lord will show you mercy when you stand before Him.

FYI: Jesus and His Apostles were not independent, fundamental, KJV-only Baptists, nor is the Church they founded.

Richard Johnson stood alone with his King James Bible in hand before a mixed congregation of godless soldiers, criminals and Irish Catholic rebels, the text of his sermon was from

**Psalm 116: **

12 ***What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? ***
13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

“I do not address you as Churchman or Dissenters, Roman Catholics or Protestants, as Jews or Gentiles…But I speak to you as mortals and yet immortals…
The gospel…proposes a free and gracious pardon to the guilty, cleansing to the polluted…happiness to the miserable”

Crying shame you couldn’t have done the same.

His message was obviously more scriptural than your own is. And delivered with far greater charity no doubt.

…Anxiously awaiting an answer from Dr Bible…

In case you forgot the questions…
you were asked to post the tracts, explain how your “Christianity” is more bible oriented and to prove that Catholicism is not Biblical. :wink:

oh… and you were also asked if it were not better to bring Christ to those who don’t know him or to bring your own version of Christ to those who know him intimately well…

I’m also curious as to why one would need a tract to explain “Biblical Christianity.” Why isn’t the Bible enough? Why do we need a tract? If they really believe in “Biblical Christianity,” then why not hand out Bibles?

:shrug:

:thumbsup: A very good point!

Dear dribible 1611,

I am sure you must have heard that million times during the WYD week while protesting and I am very proud to say this once again:

“Viva il papa, Benedicto!!!”

I pray that our separated brothers and sisters (including you) will come home one day.

Pax Christi,

Francis

AMEN!! Catholic Church leads the WAY!

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him - Proverbs 26:4

I think that is a verse that drbible1611 quoted to me in a PM after a lengthy series of exchanges where I pointed out his errors and misinformation. :rotfl:
[/size]

He’s also posted it publicly when repeatedly confronted with his mistakes.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=3955633#post3955633

Perhaps he is unconsciously trying to tell people to ignore him?

:shrug:

Perhaps he is unconsciously trying to tell people to ignore him?

:shrug:Works for me… :shrug: [/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.