The Pope Who?!?!

i dont get the idea of a pope. its not supported in scripture… no man on this earth is closer to god that any other man. The Pope is just some guy on the other side of the world… how does he effect me? he doesn’t represent me or my beleifs… <>

Hi there. Just a heads up. Vulgar language does not get your question answered. If you would really like to discuss the topic, please use language more appropriate to a grown up discussion.

Scripture is filled with referring to one’s “Father in Faith.” St. Paul himself says it. I am sorry that you don’t have an understanding of it yet. Pope is an English version of Papa. Papa is Italian for Father.

The Pope and Bishops have the same relationship as Peter and the Apostles–Our Lord entrusted His flock to Peter and gave him the keys to the kingdom. This is straight from the Bible.

way to not give me any answers… and what is the deal with praying to saints… i dont get why i cant just pray to christ… this whole catholic thing is screwed up.

Please refrain from foul language. We have children who read these posts.

With reference to the question, Your Church doesn’t have a chief Pastor?

Exactly what is “the whole Catholic thing”? You ignorance of the Church does not negate the truth. Try reading for a change.

i just don’t get why i can’t read and study the bible on my own without some big organization “the catholic church” looking over my shoulder… the catholic church has almost become exactly what how jesus viewed the pharisees in matthew 23… I go to a catholic and we have required mass… and 90% of the people in there are just “going through the motions” of mass. there is no heart in it, Jesus wasn’t into organized religion, i don’t see any better example of this then in matthew 23. People are so used to getting preached at, this whole religion thing has lost its heart.

“try reading for a change” what kind of ignorant comment was that… if anyone is ignorant its you. i have to sit through catholic teachings everyday at school and get fed the same bs everyday… and trust me, i’ve approached catholism open minded, but there is so much stuff in scripture that shows christ wasn’t a religious person at all.

Who says Jesus wasn’t into organized religion. I seem to remember something about Jesus telling the apostles to follow the pharisees words, because they were on the seat of moses.

In addition, Jesus was a Jew, that is an organized religion.

I would say seek the truth with your whole being rather than simply going with what you think the bible says. It seems you have approached the bible with a set of assumptions (that Jesus was not religious, and that this religion thing is what he was against) I do not know if you have approached with these assumptions, but I would suggest looking at the history surrounding Jesus time and seeing if you can make more sense out of what he is saying rather than just reading the bible and saying you know what it means.
A lone Raven

acctually if you go back he told them not to follow their words… they sit at the seat of moses and they have false power… try reading it again

Catholic Who?
I don’t get what you mean by “catholicrats”.

Is this some sort of an insult?

Not only that. You used an cursed word.

That is very disrespectful.

“The teachers of the law (the scribes) and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So, you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach” (Matt. 23:2-3)

A lone Raven

“christians” today are separted from truth because of their ignorance… i don’t think christ came so we could sit in mass and go through the same motions. most christians act like their perfect and there are people killing themselves in the “church” today because no one is open to talk about their problems. christ medicated the sick, him and the apostles didn’t sit around and for 30 minutes sunday and pat eachother on the back and then go back to their sinful lives, no they were out “living” God’s message and dying for it.

The Catholic church in no way resembles the Pharisees in matthew 23.
"All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don’t do their works; for they say, and don’t do. "

If i were to negate your view right now, i would do it by first off pointing out that in this chapter, the Pharisees teach, but do not do. However, the Catholic church says and does. we are the catholic church.

90% of all people just go through the motions of life ignoring any piece of Christ at all a lot of the time. How are you just pointing on the Catholic Church? What about the protestant denominations (Or non denominations) churches?

Religion comes from (Latin) i think meaning to re-attach (to God).
(RE - LIG [similarly found in ligament, which hold your body together!])
And considering this verse…
"I Corinthians 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit."
this was taught to Paul by Jesus, himself!
I can conclude that Jesus Was into organized religion, we are one body after all. IF you look at “Organized Religion” correctly, you see people working together to come back to Christ, to God, which we (humans) have fallen from! So without Organized religion, or religion at all, you are stuck.

You are mistaken, If you can honestly believe that the “whole religion thing” has lost its heart, then you have not been searching anywhere, you are closing everything out of yourself, who knows why. But you are wrong in finding it right to take it “out” on the catholic church, this was against what Jesus taught. Way to show love, buddy.
Way to show an uneducated guess in a volatile manner, as well.

I will pray for you.

(also speaking of intercession… you dont HAVE to pray to saints. You can directly pray to Jesus. It’s just an option, so dont feel obligated to do it if you dont even understand it…)
Godbless.

And that’s what we do every day (well, obviously not the dying bit, not yet anyways) - in our workplaces, in our homes and schools, in our communities.

let’s see… the Bible - declared Canonical and Inspired of God by the Authority of Christ’s Church…

(you do the history and identify Christ’s Church - hint: it’s not an “invisible” society of “true believers” because it takes a visible society to make known to us “what is” and “what isn’t” a part of “the Canon of Scripture”)

…reads: Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

so you tell us…was Christ a “religious person” according to what God’s Word affirms as “pure religion”?

Keep the Faith
jmt

If mass is simply about patting eachother on the back, then it is not being done right.

Listen closely at mass and you will hear"I have sinned through my own fault, in what I have done and what I have failed to do" definately not a pat on the back, definately realizing our own sinfullness.
Another time you will hear "Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I will be healed."
While some may pat themselves on the back, others go to mass to be strengthened for the coming week and to become closer to God.

A lone Raven

And how are you doing this? by revolting? by “showing us up” with cursing and criticizing things other people do?
If you arent too familiar with the reading where the Woman is going to be stoned, but Jesus says “You who are without sin shall cast the first stone” and they all left. Maybe its time for you to leave all this petty fighting and get back to your “living God’s message and dying for it” because sofar you might be ruining everyone elses chance to.

“christians” today are separted from truth because of their ignorance… i don’t think christ came so we could sit in mass and go through the same motions. most christians act like their perfect and there are people killing themselves in the “church” today because no one is open to talk about their problems. christ medicated the sick, him and the apostles didn’t sit around and for 30 minutes sunday and pat eachother on the back and then go back to their sinful lives, no they were out “living” God’s message and dying for it.

Hi,
you sound like someone who has some very serious issues and who seems very embittered about both the Catholic Church and organized religion in general. I wonder whether a discussion here on an internet forum will give you the answers, serenity and healing you really seem to be looking for.

Maybe it would be better if you contacted a priest in your area, sat down with him and “threw” your questions at him. A personal conversation could probably help you more than an internet “conversation” - that’s quite impersonal and confrontational after all.

:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.