The Power of Modesty -- Why Dress Modestly?

Hi. I have not flagged anyone here. I liked his different perspective…:blush:

2 Likes

Her shoulders are showing, not too modest ! Wink wink!

9 Likes

Well, I like his vids. He’s Canadian ya’ know.

Anyway, modest dress will have folks admiring your clothing instead of your body. For example, you walk past a construction site in New York City. Now, you will hear “Hey baby, nice attire and well accessorized!”

OK, maybe not.

6 Likes

I think that’s fabric, like a bit of chiffon between her shoulders and her neck, then it has piping around the neck.

It looks like a 1970’s bridesmaid dress.

3 Likes

That’s actually a ruffle around her shoulders. The neckline is at her neck.

2 Likes

You are right. I enlarged it and yes there is a sheer covering sewed to a collar. But still can see her shoulders-----"oh my! ". Y’all know I AM JOKING!

7 Likes

It does look like an off the shoulder dress from the 1970’s.

I couldn’t carry that look off. I’m too short and full figured.

3 Likes

I would keep wanting to pull the fabric up, it would definitely bother me.

6 Likes

I have a vague memory of reading something back in the day, when flesh colored fabric was considered sinful, as was sheer fabric…

2 Likes

I did find a shirt that was a little off the shoulder (but not too much) that I thought was cute. The darn thing didn’t want to stay down XD then my mom told me one day I looked like a “lady of the night” if I did that anyway. So least I don’t need to worry about it, couldn’t pull it off anyway!.

3 Likes

Actually I remember wearing a white cheesecloth dress, same style with the large frill so it could be worn off the shoulders or up over the shoulder, and the frill kept things modest. It only went to mid-shin though, not floor length. Also had to be careful how one stood wrt how the light shone through the dress. Petticoats helped.

2 Likes

If the op wants to discuss the video he posted, why is everyone bullying him? Just “change the channel” if you don’t want to read another modesty thread.

1 Like

Who the heck is going flag-happy?

Get real.

6 Likes

I honestly wasn’t bullying anyone in this thread, so do not understand why both my previous posts have been flagged.

My first post was supporting the wearing of modest dresses and just recalled how back in my youth those fabrics were not deemed modest.

And my second post, I was relating how I had a dress in similar style to what is in the OP picture - how is that flagworthy? I was commenting on it, but not specifically commenting on the article itself.

Apologies to whomever was unintentionally offended by my innocent comments. Am now leaving the thread as I have not been disrespectful to the OP or anyone else for that matter.

And as both of my posts related to the OP, I don’t see how my previous two posts were off topic - yet apparently that was the reason for the flagging.

@camoderator

8 Likes

No, you weren’t bullying the OP. I don’t see a single bullying post here. Someone is abusing the flagging system. I’m sure @camoderator will straighten it out.

9 Likes

Modesty is all about being a lady and being ladylike in what you wear. Anybody can wear a miniskirt no matter what size we are but SHOULD WE, is the question?

2 Likes

I brought extras.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

5 Likes

Yummy! Can I have some?

1 Like

Answering with light hearted responses is not “bullying”. No one has been unkind, some have been quite witty.

I am having flashbacks of Gunnie Sax dresses and have to laugh about those hideous things!

6 Likes

Years ago my mom was wearing a beige, apparently nearly flesh colour blouse. There was a very odd fellow (who happened to play the organ at the local Catholic church) who apparently saw my mom from a distance and remarked to his daughter “Is that Tracy walking naked down the street?” to which the daughter replied “no father, Tracy is a Christian woman.” The account was relayed to my mom by the daughter… with a straight face. Odd family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.