The Powers of The Pope

Public revelation is binding on all Christians, but private revelation is binding only on those who receive it. The Catholic Church teaches that public revelation was completed with the death of the last apostle
(Including the Pope) "Throughout the ages, there have been so-called ‘private’ revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ’s definitive revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history.
catholic.com/library/Private_Revelation.asp

Papal Infallibility

1. “the Roman Pontiff”
  2. “speaks ex cathedra” (“that is, when in the discharge of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority….”)
  3. “he defines”
  4. “that a doctrine concerning faith or morals”
  5. "must be held by the whole Church"
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

if he is morally bound to take advice and to follow the dictates of prudence, he is not legally obliged to obtain the consent of any other person or persons, or to observe any particular form; his power is limited only by Divine law, natural and positive, dogmatic and moral. Furthermore, he is, so to say, the living law, for he is considered as having all law in the treasury of his heart (“in scrinio pectoris”; Boniface VIII. c. i, “De Constit.” in VI). From the earliest ages the letters of the Roman pontiffs constitute, with the canons of the councils, the principal element of canon law, not only of the Roman Church and its immediate dependencies. but of all Christendom; they are everywhere relied upon and collected, and the ancient canonical compilations contain a large number of these precious “decretals” (decreta, statuta, epistolae decretales, and epistolae synodicae). Later, the pontifical laws are promulgated more usually as constitutions, Apostolic Letters, the latter being classified as Bulls or Briefs, according to their external form, or even as spontaneous acts, “Motu proprio”. Moreover, the legislative and disciplinary power of the pope not being an in communicable privilege, the laws and regulations made in his name and with his approbation possess his authority: in fact, though most of the regulations made by the Congregations of the cardinals and other organs of the Curia are incorporated in the Apostolic Letters, yet the custom exists and is becoming more general for legislation to be made by mere decrees of the Congregations, with the papal approval. These are the “Acts of the Holy See” (Acta Sancte Sedis), and their object or purpose permitting, are real laws (see ROMAN CURIA).
newadvent.org/cathen/09056a.htm

The Catholic Church teaches that public revelation was completed with the death of the last apostle

I did not know that?

I too, a sinner have been priviledged by God to receive private revelation. The revelation was to 'put my arms around God, embrace HIm and love Him by embracing all whom I meet, doing them well and refraining from doing them harm.

The revelation also was that if I wished to embrace God the infinite omnipotent existence which is greater and vaster than all that exists and all that remains uncreated but which will exist, then all I have to do is to receive His Sacred Body in Holy Eucharist. In that way, we fullfil the most human expression of love and need to embrace the beloved.

In my revelation my mortality was embraced by God. I witnessed the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Please my friends, based on the power of God which I have expereienced, do not fear for the world or the powers of the world, both man made and sinister. They pale into insigificance when met by the power of Almighty God, who invites us to call Him ‘Daddy’ :thumbsup:

The Pope does not claim to have received public revelation. The “powers of the Pope” are that he is not capable of making errors when teaching on matters of faith and morals because the Holy Spirit guides the Church from teaching error. What are we being invited to discuss in this thread?

Nothing - Info to dispell pre-concieved notions - But if you must discuss something - Ask a Mormon

The Latin Vulgata was declared by Pope Sixtus V to be the “authentic word of God” in 1588.

After Pope Sixtus V died, the Sixtus Vulgate was withdrawn in 1592 and then re-issued after many errors were corrected.

So much for “infallibility” meaning “error-free”.

Cite your source. Infallibility means “free of error when speaking on moral and faith.”

IMO, I don’t think the mistranslation of the Latin Vulgata violated the infallibility of the Pope. Pope Sixtus V did not issue an document and only mention the errors because print at the time was in its infancy.

I also like to point out that Paul point out the errors of Peter in the Book of Acts.

I also like to the that the USCBB in the US uses the New American Bible which itself has errors. Many Catholics prefer either the RSV, or the DR Bible over the NAB.

One source that you may accept is the Catholic Encyclopedia on the internet. Look up Bellarmine there.

It describes how Pope Sixtus V partially distributed a revision of the Vulgate text (Sixtus Vulgate) along with the proposed Bull enforcing its use.

He died before the actual “promulgation”, but the fact that a new revised edition (Editio Sixtina) was necessary is proof enough for me that the claim of papal “infallibility” is suspect.

Papal infallibility has its origins in 1079 not 1880 as someone suggested. But actually it goes back further than that. It is qualified by St Matthew inchapter 28: 19-20.

In this sense we are all by one definition or another infallible.

It is perhaps one of the biggest misnomers and misunderstandings of catholicism. The Catholic Church does NOT teach that the Pope is infallible. He errs the same as the rest of us because like the rest, he too is only human!

But, by virtue of his office as the infallible supreme pastor and teacher of the faithful when he proclaims and confirms a definitive doctrine that pertains to faith and morals, his teaching is infallible.This is by definition also Mat 28 19-20.

Catholics believe the Pope is also infallible when all the bishops are joined with him in an Ecumenical Council.

I believe this also includes when the Orthodox Catholic Bishops are also in synod. But that is a matter of my personal belief, not necessarily shared by my brothers and sisters.

Did the Pope wrote the Vulgate that contain the error? Did he under the Chair of Peter say that the Vulgate was not in error than say it has error?

Papal infallibility did not have a role when the Vulgate has mistranslation. Papal bulls aren’t part of making a document infallible. Papal bulls are infallible documents, only when it concerns moral and faith.

Hey, there’s still nothing to discuss, we believe exactly the same thing, we just couch it in different language. We both believe in continuing revelation but that the Pope/Prophet is the only one who can receive it for the church.

D&C 28:2 But, behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., for he receiveth them even as Moses.

We also believe that the Prophet will not mislead the church:

D&C Official Declaration 1 - The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty.

Ask Karin, she’ll tell you, the Catholic and Mormon churches are so similar!

God reveals new truth all the time about his word. Consider this:

Jerry Falwell believed the Bible supported segregation in the church until a black shoeshine man asked him, “When will someone like me be allowed to become a member of your congregation?” Through those simple words, the Holy Spirit spoke new truth about the ancient biblical texts to the Rev. Falwell, and in obedience he ended segregation at Thomas Road Baptist Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.