The Prayer For France That Angered LGBT Rights Activists

You may have heard that the French Catholic pro-marriage ‘Prayer for France’ was read out at French Catholic churches as the Feast of the Assumption was being celebrated and that it provoked accusations of homophobia from gay rights groups.

If some of you are interested, you can read my English translation of this prayer. :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’ll agree with me that accusing the French bishops of “homophobia” was really a bunch of malarkey.:shrug:

I agree, I don’t see where it was homophobic at all. Sounds like they need to take a step back and actually listen/read what was said.

The prayer never specifically targets any group. It simply stated proven facts about what circumstances are best for children.

An interesting thing about France (if you didn’t know):
Marriage has been legally defined in the constitution as between one man and one woman for the purpose of creating a family. As an alternate option to full-on marriage, the French government recognizes PACS – civil solidarity pacts (pacte civil de solidarité), aka “marriage lite;” much like civil unions but with customizable legal terms – that are open to any two individuals regardless of gender.

IMHO, I think France’s experience is very telling that civil unions will not be sufficient for gay marriage activists should the United States choose to pursue that route. Clearly, groups in France are still actively lobbying/striking for marriage open to couples of the same gender even though they have complete access to a “marriage lite” that is available to everyone. In other words, it’s becoming very clear that they want marriage to be open to any two individuals, regardless of gender. :frowning:

The prayer never specifically targets any group. It simply stated proven facts about what circumstances are best for children. :shrug:

An interesting thing about France (if you didn’t know):
Marriage has been legally defined in the constitution as between one man and one woman for the purpose of creating a family. As an alternate option to full-on marriage, the French government recognizes PACS – civil solidarity pacts (pacte civil de solidarité), aka “marriage lite;” much like civil unions but with customizable legal terms – that are open to any two individuals regardless of gender.

IMHO, I think France’s experience is very telling that civil unions will not be sufficient for gay marriage activists should the United States choose to pursue that route. Clearly, groups in France are still actively lobbying/striking for marriage open to couples of the same gender even though all consenting adults have access to “marriage your way.”

In other words, it’s becoming clear that these groups want marriage to be open to any two individuals, regardless of gender, even if such a union exists outside of traditional marriage. :frowning:

Some people wake up every morning looking to get offended by something.

I think if they would all just basically back off and stop trying to shove their lifestyles down everyone’s throats, everybody would be a lot happier. Stop with all the parades, and over-the-top exhibitionistic behaviors to draw attention to yourselves. Basically, just grow up and stop doing things that shout “look at me, look at me!!!” Maybe people just don’t want to look at you.
Live your lives without trying to force everyone to tell you that you’re ok. If I don’t think your lifestyle is moral, or upright, or ok no amount of temper tantrums, hissy fits or lawsuits are going to change my mind.
I guess the bottom line here from me would be - just grow up already, for goodness sakes!

You can’t assume something like that, and I’m offended by your statement.

Here’s the prayer. I have thee-thou-i-fied, and exemplified it so the main requests are prioritised. (If I could thing of more -ied’s, I’d make a great street preacher).

Brethren,

On this day during which we celebrate the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, under whose patronage France was placed, let’s present our trustful prayers for our country to God through the intercession of Our Lady:

I-During these times of economic crisis, many of our fellow citizens suffer from miscellaneous restrictions and are worried about the future; let us pray for those who have the power to make decisions in this matter and let us ask God to make us more generous still when it comes to solidarity with our neighbours.
II-For those who have recently been elected to pass laws and govern: that their sense of common good of society may outweigh special requests and that they may have the strength to follow their consciences.
III-For families: that their** legitimate expectation that society will support them** may not be disappointed; that their members may support one another with loyalty and tenderness throughout their lives and especially during painful moments. That the commitment that spouses have made to themselves and to their children may be a sign of the faithfulness of love.
IV-For children and young people: that we may all help each one of them find his own path to happiness; so that they may cease to be the ***objects of the desires and conflicts of adults in order to fully benefit from the love of a father and a mother.

Lord our God, we entrust Thee with the future of our country. Through the intercession of Our Lady, grant us the courage to make the necessary choices so that all may have a better quality of life and so that our youths may blossom thanks to strong and faithful families. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

True. I feel like these people tend to decide what you’re going to say and how they’re going to react to what you’re going to say before you’ve even said anything :confused:

Unfortunately, you’re right :frowning:

BTW, I love your “Je crois en l’Église, une, sainte, catholique et apostolique . . .” signature! :thumbsup:

Haha! I think so, too!

Ugh, someone showed me pictures that were taken during the Paris Gay Pride parade and I was absolutely disgusted at some of the things that happened there. :eek:

Well said! :thumbsup:

Do you think I should thee-thou-i-fy my translation?
frenchandcatholic.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/the-prayer-for-france-that-angered-lgbt-rights-activists/

Nah, it’s fine with the You and Yours, as that’s what would be used in English anyhow…but it’s just a preference of mine :smiley: Yours is alright as is.

I’m offended that they’re offended.

I don’t get it. Where’s the homophobia? :shrug:

They are not really offended, that’s just a ruse to let them get up on their soapbox and rant and rave for another bit.

:smiley:

So am I! :mad:

I’m sure they wouldn’t be able to point it out themselves… 'cause there’s no homophobia in the text.

I think you’re right. These people delight in acting offended :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.