The Prayer of Jesus in John 17

I have been thinking a lot about the prayer of Jesus in John 17, as it has been in the Gospel the past few days. It is absolutely beautiful and overwhelming to read and pray with. I love it so much.

I am not trying to sound like I am doubting it at all, but this question is entirely out of curiosity. How do we know that Jesus prayed that prayer and how do we know what He actually prayed? He was alone when He prayed that, so I’m wondering who actually knew enough about it to write it down and put it in the Bible.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and help. :slight_smile: God bless!

The first and most important point is that the Holy Spirit inspired the authors, and what things that the authors did not learn by experience and being told by Christ or other great witnesses, the Holy Spirit provided directly by way of Divine revelation. For St. John, who was very close to Christ, may have been told by Jesus, or when St. John was putting his account into writing the Holy Spirit provided him with the information.

Where does it say that He was alone?

[FONT=Georgia]29 His disciples said, “Ah, now you are speaking plainly, not in any figure! 30 Now we know that you know all things, and need none to question you; by this we believe that you came from God.” 31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32* The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, every man to his home, and will leave me alone; yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33* I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Chapter 17

1* When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify thy Son that the Son may glorify thee, 2 since thou hast given him power over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent. 4 I glorified thee on earth, having accomplished the work which thou gavest me to do;

[/FONT]

Note that St John was sitting next to Him at that Supper.

[quote="Joe_Kelley, post:3, topic:326650"]
Where does it say that He was alone?

Note that St John was sitting next to Him at that Supper.

[/quote]

That was going to be my question. We just read this today in the mens Bible study I attend. I could think of no where it saying he was alone. The impression I got was that He and the Apostels were still at the table folowing the Last supper.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.