The prayer to St. Michael at the end of mass

I missed mass a few weeks ago and the next week and every week after we’ve been saying the prayer to St. Michael at the end of mass and I missed the explanation.
Does any of your parishes do this? When and why did it begin?
Thanks

https://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/prayers/leonine-prayers-after-low-mass.html

"These prayers after Low Mass which were prescribed by Pope Leo XIII who composed the Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel, and were reinforced by Pope Pius XI and Pope Pius XII to pray for the conversion of Russia. "

This is an old custom that has been recently coming back.

Some priests at parishes I attend will say the prayer at the end of Mass, some say it at announcement time, some say it after Communion.

i wish the prayer to St Michael would be said more

i don’t see it being said at any parish i attend

at the “shrine” i go to ; yes

same for the “Hail Mary”

both are becoming forgotten & neglected prayers… :frowning:

That’s a shame. There are about 3 priests I’ve run into who say it regularly after Mass or after Communion.

You just have to find those spiritual old priests. Often they’re from a foreign country

The St. Michael prayer being said after mass started with Pope Leo XIII who ordered it, along with other prayers to be said after every low mass.

We have said the St. Michael prayer after weekday and weekend Masses for many years.

A parish I was part of in the past said the St. Michael prayer, after the final announcements after the communion reflection. Someone complained to the bishop that it was not a part of the proper of the mass. The solution was to say the St, Michael prayer after the priest (or deacon) would say, "The Mass is ended, go in peace (or some other wording.) Seems everyone was happy with that.

Before mass, wsay the rosary -
then finish with the Saint Micheal prayer.
Mass
Then the Saint Micheal prayer, lead by the Priest, to conclude the mass.

(Then the Priest goes before the altar - kneels
and we sing the adoration song.)

I heard the Priests say -
It’s because so many kids / young people -
have died of overdosing in the town.
One Priest even called it an ‘epidemic’.

I’ve never heard the prayer said after Mass, but it would be really nice if they did.

As soon as Father kisses the altar either he starts it or the person who was the reader that day starts it.

Sometimes Father leads us in a Hail Mary during the last minute or two of cleansing the Communion vessels.

Today he actually did it twice. Our Divine Mercy Group has started announcing upcoming funerals during the announcements so that we can all perform works of mercy by attending the funeral or praying for the deceased.

Today after the funeral announcement he had us say another Hail Mary for the deceased.

I think it’s great when he adds in little prayers like this. I personally wouldn’t get bent out of shape over whether the prayers are officially part of the Mass or not.

The only time I have heard it at all has been at the end of week day Masses.

Every Sunday at my parish ever since we got a new priest. The St Michael prayer followed by the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be… at the end of mass.

I’m glad this custom has started and should increase :slight_smile:

I’m a cradle Catholic (lapsed to various degrees between like 199? to 2014) and had never heard the prayer until all the “old people” (no offense intended) were saying it after mass where I used to live (beautiful traditional old church built in the neighborhood in 1962). I started saying it with them, then started learning who St. Michael was since I hadn’t even learned that as a cradle Catholic. Can you guess my son’s name?

I’m glad I discovered him when I did because he’s more important to us now today than ever. Pope Leo’s prayer worked for those 100 years, but do you think the enemy rests? 1Pt 5:8 I can see a lot of his work looking just back through my own lifetime and wonder what life would be like today if we had stuck with the prayer. I can also wonder how we can thwart the enemy if we prayed it again. Eph 11-16

As the USCG says semper paratus

The prayer to St. Michael is now being said in two parishes in my diocese. There may be more, but I don’t get around that much.

Meanwhile we can mention it to our pastors, and we can also say it several times during the day silently while we are about our work.

There is a great spiritual warfare going on, and St. Michael helps a lot!

Your post was interesting to me, because I am aware that there are Catholics who know next to nothing about the existence of the angels and the battle that took place in heaven before the creation of our world.

Thankfully, my pastor when I was a little girl, did not hesitate to tell us of those spiritual things. He said it in a way that was simple to understand for our young years.

We have a wonderful supernatural faith, with saints and angels and our Blessed Mother to help us on our journey with our Lord Jesus Christ!

A few bishops have declared it must be said after mass again in their dioceses, since the McCarrick & PA Grand Jury Scandal, plus fall out. Plus, a few other Bishops did it before the McCarrick scandal.

There have also been some individual pastors around the country - in different dioceses - following their lead.

God bless

I have had people on this forum object when I said the priest at one church prayed it after communion, because it was supposedly adding to the Mass. The same priest prays the Miraculous Medal Novena during homily time before he gives the homily. Apparently no one in his parish has a problem with that and he is a very good older priest, so I’m not worried about it.

In a post at https://twitter.com/BishopCaggiano/status/1032984939564855296/photo/1 Bishop Caggiano of Bridgeport has a photo with this text of the prayer:

“St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness
and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.”

A different text of the prayer is in the liturgical book “Exorcisms and Related Supplications” copyright © 2014, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation as published in ISBN 9781601375674 “Prayers Against the Powers of Darkness” page 42.

The main changes are:
“defense” is replaced with “safeguard”;
“and do thou” is replaced with “and you”;
“cast into hell” is replaced with “cast down to hell”;
“all the evil spirits,” is replaced with “the other evil spirits,”;
“prowl about” is replaced with “prowl through”;
“seeking” is replaced with “for”.

There are also some other changes things like replacing “.” with “;”.

Some information at the front of the book:
“Published by authority of the Committee on Divine Worship, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops”.

“First printing, September 2017
Second printing, November 2017
Copyright © 2017, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Washington DC. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without permission in writing from the copyright holder.”

So if a bishop wanted people to pray this new text, could he publish it on Twitter?

I think he could, according to the last page of ICEL’s copyright policy at http://icelweb.org/PubPolicy.PDF with both twitter.com and Catholic Answers satisfying the six conditions (such as “there must be no fee charged to access the Site” and “The appropriate ICEL copyright acknowledgment must appear”).

So here is the complete text and copyright acknowledgement:

SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL, defend us in battle;
be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
and you, O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
cast down to hell Satan and the other evil spirits,
who prowl through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

The English translation of the “Invocation to Saint Michael the Archangel” from “Exorcisms and Related Supplications” copyright © 2014, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Inc. All rights reserved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.