The process of listening to the Holy Spirit

I’m curious about something. The Church is the pillar of knowledge and Truth correct? This Truth comes from the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit protects the Church from error. So when whoever was deciding doctrine decided it, how were they sure the spirit was with them? What did it feel like?

Just to narrow it…when whoever it was got together to decide on the books of the Bible, how did they decide? By vote? If it was by vote shouldn’t the vote have been unanimous if it was truely the Holy Spirit? Who made the decisions regarding the Bible’s authority? (I mean of course the human involved, who was the speaker of the group for the Spirit?) I am also curious if there is a record of this meeting or council? I think it was Hippo was it not? I have looked that council up and tried reading about it but it’s just jibberish to me, too much history and it’s hard to decypher. Is there anything written for teenagers or something that is simpler to understand?

Thanks a ton!

[quote=zachattack05]I’m curious about something. The Church is the pillar of knowledge and Truth correct? This Truth comes from the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit protects the Church from error. So when whoever was deciding doctrine decided it, how were they sure the spirit was with them?** What did it feel like?**
[/quote]

Tomorrow you will be curious about something else and this won’t matter.
Next week you will be curious about what something else feels like and the Conviction of The Holy Spirit won’t seem important when based on “curiousity.”

Just to narrow it…when whoever it was got together to decide on the books of the Bible, how did they decide? By vote? If it was by vote shouldn’t the vote have been unanimous if it was truely the Holy Spirit? Who made the decisions regarding the Bible’s authority? (I mean of course the human involved, who was the speaker of the group for the Spirit?) I am also curious if there is a record of this meeting or council? I think it was Hippo was it not? I have looked that council up and tried reading about it but it’s just jibberish to me, too much history and it’s hard to decypher. Is there anything written for teenagers or something that is simpler to understand?

Thanks a ton!

The Church is The Pillar and mainstay of Truth.
“whoever” was also known as; The Apostolic Authority, The Magisterium…
They were all of One accord after Prayer, discussion, Prayer, discussion, Prayer…

If you read Acts 15 (The Council at Jerusalem) It will give you insight as to how Councils take place.
The Magisterium’s main responsiblity is to assure that all that is taught, written and held as “Scripture and Tradition” is in accord with The Teaching of The Apostles, The New Covenant.
Which comes from The Teachings of Christ. (Matt. 28: 20)

If you read Matt. 11: 25-27…you may receive insight on how and to whom Jesus opens up the understanding so as to receive Revelation.

The best way (not out of curiousity) to undrestand is to get started firmly,
Truly on THE JOURNEY OF FAITH (The New Living Path) Heb 10: 20
and as you "walk along " (like the men on the road to Emmaus), Jesus will upen your mind to the understanding of the Scriptures as he does in Luke 24: 45

It all unfolds as we progress along THE EXODUS which He has set in place
for us to follow THROUGH.

Simplified block diagram:
(1). Make sure you are honestly walking on The New Living Path.
(2). Jesus will reveal to us as he decides when we need a “specific revelation” according to ho much He trusts us.

God Bless.

gusano

[quote=zachattack05]I’m curious about something. The Church is the pillar of knowledge and Truth correct? This Truth comes from the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit protects the Church from error. So when whoever was deciding doctrine decided it, how were they sure the spirit was with them? What did it feel like?

[/quote]

What you are missing is the aspect of obedience. Jesus is the One Who is the Truth, and He imparted to His chosen Apostles a certain amount during His life and before He ascended. He gave further revelation to the Apostle Paul and finally to John. So initially it was all confirmed by Christ Himself, Who only later sent the Holy Spirit. Ever since then, we rely on those Jesus appointed as Apostles, and their successors, headed by Peter and his successors.

So how we know the Spirit is with those deciding whatever, is that they were acting in obedience to Christ, namely, to Peter and his successors. I would say that it felt like they were obeying someone else’s Will, that they were protected, and at peace, knowing they were visibly under the authority that Christ Himself started and promised to preserve.

hurst

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.