The Promise of the Spirit

Non-Catholic Christians search the scriptures and find several passages referring to the Holy Spirit that suggest to their ears that all belivers will be led into all truth and able to interpret the Bible correctly for themselves.

Catholics examine those same passages and find that Jesus’ promise that the Spirit would lead “into all truth” was made to a small, finite group of men in a closed room which suggests to their minds that it is the Church (through its leadership) and not the individual believer that has been promised the charism of infallibility.

What do you think?

I think we need to stick with what the apostles taught to their desciples. The Church has kept the same teaching for two thousand years. The writings of the Early Church Fathers corroborate this teaching.

Just because Pastor Bob down the street, who was “ordained” out of thin air, came up with a new invention as to how to interpret Scripture shouldn’t mean diddly to anyone.

I don’t think there is a dichotomy between the promise of the Holy Spirit to every individual and the promise of the Holy Spirit to the Church.

It is only through the Holy Spirit that I am able to believe that Jesus gave us a visible Church who posesses the fullness of Truth.

Are you implying that every single Protestant church is nothing more than the followings of many “Pastor Bobs from Down The Street?” I should certainly hope not. Are you going to call the Arch-Bishop of Canterbury Pastor Bob from Down the Street?" The Anglican church is only a hairdsbreath away from the Catholic church in doctrine and even in dogma (especially High Anglican). Also the ELC community of the Lutheran church is very mainstream and very not radical, so I don’t think you will find “Pastor Bob from Down The Street” there either (Missouri Synod on the other hand, that’s a different story… heh…). I really do no like your implication.

Pastor Bob aside, you’ve given a glimpse of the variety found among the Protestants. Dozens of denominations… hundreds or thousands if you consider every non-denom group a denomination in fact. This fact of division speaks directly to the result of every-man-his-own-interpreter-of-Scripture. Given the sayings of Jesus in the New Testament about unity, and about unity being a signature, this disunity can’t be a good thing. While we Christians are scuffling over interpretations and authority, the unsaved world is laughing at us.

Im thinking that both of these are inaccurate. Ive never heard that non catholics (being one) that I am going to correctly interpret all by myself. No ones a island and it totally leaves out accountability, Anyone who will not be accountable to another is not to be listened to.

And there is something wrong with the other description, maybe I dont get the history but a small group in a room deciding, doesnt that kind of leave out a whole bunch that lead to decisions over the yrs to arrive at conclusions. And I dont remember Christ saying He was sending the Holy Spirit to talk to a small group that will sit in a room.

Both of these are sorta stereotypical are they not? How is stating them going to achieve any unity like Allweather said? Its sort of like people complaining about a christian charity group possibly mentioning God of all things, All the while the poor starve.

What I am saying is that Christ promised His Holy Spirit to His Church. He promised His eternal protection to her and her alone. When someone proclaims something different from this Church, which proceeds from the apostles through their successors, and then claims to be led by the Spirit, well…let’s just say it ain’t the Holy Spirit who is confused.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.