The Propehts(pbuh) Last Sermon

This was given just before the prophet(pbuh) pasted away. I got the idea from Munawar.

**O People
Lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefor listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today.

O People
Just as you regard this month, this day, this city as sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. Allah has forbidden you to take usury (interest); therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity.

Allah has Judged that there shall be no interest and that all interest due to Abbas Ibn ‘Abd al Muttalib (the Prophet’s uncle) shall henceforth be waived.

Beware of Satan for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People
It is true that you have certain rights in regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives, only under Allah’s trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat you women well and be kind to them, for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with anyone of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People
Listen to me in earnest, worship Allah, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat.

Perform Hajj if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over a white- except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim, which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not therefor, do injustice to yourselves.

Remember one day you will appear before Allah and answer for your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone. People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well therefore, O people, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and the Sunnah (Hadith), and if you follow these you will never go astray. All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listened to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people." **

wa salam

Matthew 5:1-12 JESUS SERMON ON THE MOUNT

When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
He began to teach them, saying:

**"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. **

**Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. **

**Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. **

**Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. **

**Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. **

**Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. **

**Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. **

**Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. **

**Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. **

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you. "

Pio

[quote=fatuma]This was given just before the prophet(pbuh) pasted away. I got the idea from Munawar.

**People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. **wa salam
[/quote]

Our Lord Jesus Christ said: I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END! He said that about 600 years before your prophet came along. What do you suppose He meant? :hmmm:

[quote=Booklover]Our Lord Jesus Christ said: I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END! He said that about 600 years before your prophet came along. What do you suppose He meant? :hmmm:
[/quote]

Thoughts Fatuma?

God has no end and since I don’t believe a human being can be God, what’s your point?

wa salam

[quote=hlgomez]Matthew 5:1-12 JESUS SERMON ON THE MOUNT

When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
He began to teach them, saying:

**"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. **

**Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. **

**Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. **

**Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. **

**Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. **

May God’s peace and blessings be upon Jesus Christ

**Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. **

Yes, indeed

b]Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you. "

[/quote]

Someone had said on another thread that they didnt persecute the other prophets…only Jesus

[quote=Booklover]Our Lord Jesus Christ said: I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END! He said that about 600 years before your prophet came along. What do you suppose He meant? :hmmm:
[/quote]

what does “the end” mean?

how do you understand these verses

“But now i am going away to the one who sent me, and none of you has asked me where i am going. Instead you are very sad. But it is actualy best for you that I go away because if i dont, the Counselor, wont come” (John 16:5)

"Oh there is so much more I want to tell you but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas, he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. (John17:12-13)

It seems to me that Jesus peace be upon him was telling his disciples that there is someone else coming to guide them. Someone who wont be presenting his own ideas but just relaying the message he receives from God.

sounds a lot like this…

And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the apostle of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad (Quran 61:6)

I know we are going to disagree, and you’ll have your own interpretations. I have come to the conclusion that the idea that Jesus is God/son of God and the idea that he is NOT can both be argued effectively using the Bible.

So, lets just all pray to God to guide us to the truth.

[quote=Faith101]what does “the end” mean?

“But now i am going away to the one who sent me, and none of you has asked me where i am going. Instead you are very sad. But it is actualy best for you that I go away because if i dont, the Counselor, wont come” (John 16:5)

"Oh there is so much more I want to tell you but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas, he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. (John17:12-13)

It seems to me that Jesus peace be upon him was telling his disciples that there is someone else coming to guide them. Someone who wont be presenting his own ideas but just relaying the message he receives from God.

sounds a lot like this…

And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the apostle of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad (Quran 61:6)

I know we are going to disagree, and you’ll have your own interpretations. I have come to the conclusion that the idea that Jesus is God/son of God and the idea that he is NOT can both be argued effectively using the Bible.

So, lets just all pray to God to guide us to the truth.
[/quote]

Jesus was talking only to the apostles in those first two verses you mentioned. He was referring to the Holy Spirit. Read on to chapter 2 of the book of Acts to learn more about the apostles’ encounter with the Holy Spirit, and the fulfillment of all that stuff mentioned in John 17.

Plus, I don’t think the apostles ever met Mohammed… :smiley:

[quote=exoflare]Jesus was talking only to the apostles in those first two verses you mentioned. He was referring to the Holy Spirit. Read on to chapter 2 of the book of Acts to learn more about the apostles’ encounter with the Holy Spirit, and the fulfillment of all that stuff mentioned in John 17.

Plus, I don’t think the apostles ever met Mohammed… :smiley:
[/quote]

But I thought the holy spirit was also there, when Jesus was on earth. That doesnt flow with the “if i dont go, he will not come”

Also, maybe you can clarify but in Acts chapter 2, i dont see any evidence of the fullfillment of what is mentioned in John

The verse actually makes the holy spirit sound like a man, a human being.

OTE=Faith101

what does “the end” mean?

The messenger He meant is the Holy Spirit who descended on Mary and the apostles on Pentecost, who taught them all truths and gave them the gift of tongues so they could swiftly and effectively carry out their mission of conversion, this is the same Spirit that has guided the Church from the beginning.

Remember, that just before his ascension into Heaven, after his mission on earth was complete, Jesus told the disciples to: Go and make disciples of all the nations and baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. Those who believe will be saved and those who do not believe will be condemned.

sounds a lot like this…

I know you’re trying to make the case for Mohammed as being the messenger, but that just won’t wash. First of all, how could any sayings supposedly by Jesus be in the Qur’an and not in the Bible?? Where did they get them from? They cannot be authentic. I believe they’re just fabrications again to claim that Mohammed was the messenger.

I’m not going to argue the matter of whether Jesus is God or not, we’ve all been over that too many times, but please refrain from any more comments trying to prove your point. We both know what we believe.

[So, lets just all pray to God to guide us to the truth.

I do want you to answer me the question as to how sayings by Jesus not in the Bible can be in the Qur’an!

Vickie
[/quote]

[quote=Faith101]But I thought the holy spirit was also there, when Jesus was on earth. That doesnt flow with the “if i dont go, he will not come”

Also, maybe you can clarify but in Acts chapter 2, i dont see any evidence of the fullfillment of what is mentioned in John

The verse actually makes the holy spirit sound like a man, a human being.
[/quote]

Okay… first let’s stick the two verses you mentioned here again, just for the sake of easy reference.

***“But now i am going away to the one who sent me, and none of you has asked me where i am going. Instead you are very sad. But it is actualy best for you that I go away because if i dont, the Counselor, wont come” (John 16:5)

"Oh there is so much more I want to tell you but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas, he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. (John17:12-13)***

Regarding your questions:

[quote=Faith101]But I thought the holy spirit was also there, when Jesus was on earth. That doesnt flow with the “if i dont go, he will not come”
[/quote]

Yes, the Holy Spirit had come to earth before. I’m assuming you mean during Jesus’ baptism? He had not “come” to the apostles yet, though. You assume that by “won’t come” Jesus meant that the Holy Spirit would never have come to earth at all, when he meant specifically the instance of coming to the apostles. This isn’t the case.

[quote=Faith101]Also, maybe you can clarify but in Acts chapter 2, i dont see any evidence of the fullfillment of what is mentioned in John
[/quote]

Specifically,
(Acts 2:2-4)
And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were. Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.

You can read the rest of the book of Acts to find out all the other stuff they did with the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit (God). That’s pretty much the topic of that whole book, along with the formation of the early Christian communities.

[quote=Faith101]The verse actually makes the holy spirit sound like a man, a human being.
[/quote]

Which verse here are you referring to as “the verse”?

I still say the apostles never met Mohammed, though.

Faith101,

It’s funny you are trying to equate Jesus saying that the one who is to come after he ascended into heaven is Mohammed?:eek:

The holy Spirit seemed like a human being? OK, in the Book of Acts 5:3-4

But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart so that you lied to the holy Spirit and retained part of the price of the land?
While it remained unsold, did it not remain yours? And when it was sold, was it not still under your control? Why did you contrive this deed? You have lied not to human beings, but to God."

Where is the human being are you speaking of for the holy Spirit?

Pio

I know you’re trying to make the case for Mohammed as being the messenger, but that just won’t wash. First of all, how could any sayings supposedly by Jesus be in the Qur’an and not in the Bible?? Where did they get them from? They cannot be authentic. I believe they’re just fabrications again to claim that Mohammed was the messenger.

Arent there sayings of Jesus recorded in one Gospel and not the other.

Muslims believe that the Quran is the word of God. God knows what Jesus said even if the men who wrote the bible didnt record it.

Fabricated verses to proclaim that Jesus peace be upon him is among the closest to God. Gee wiz, why would Mohamed (pbuh) ever do that.

I’m not going to argue the matter of whether Jesus is God or not, we’ve all been over that too many times, but please refrain from any more comments trying to prove your point. We both know what we believe.

You are right. Like i said in my post…everyone will have their own interpretations. And it wont be long before we all find out the truth

[quote=Faith101]Arent there sayings of Jesus recorded in one Gospel and not the other.

Muslims believe that the Quran is the word of God. God knows what Jesus said even if the men who wrote the bible didnt record it.

Fabricated verses to proclaim that Jesus peace be upon him is among the closest to God. Gee wiz, why would Mohamed (pbuh) ever do that.

You are right. Like i said in my post…everyone will have their own interpretations. And it wont be long before we all find out the truth
[/quote]

You ask why would Mohammed fabricate those stories? To give himself credibility of course. Why else?

Jesus sent us the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit to complete his work on earth and bring us the fullness of truth. That’s who he meant was coming, not Mohammed.

I feel like pulling my hair out! I get so frustrated. You don’t come here to find out what we believe, but to try to convert us to your way of thinking. Every time we try to explain something, you keep coming back to what you believe, that Jesus is not the Son of God and so on and so on.

Let me see if I have this right? you’re claiming that those sayings of Jesus not in the Bible were revealed to Mohammed and put in the Qur’an? I’m sorry, but I don’t buy that. I believe everything Mohammed said was a lie!

If you don’t like that, I’m sorry, but that’s what I believe!:frowning:

[quote=Booklover]Let me see if I have this right? you’re claiming that those sayings of Jesus not in the Bible were revealed to Mohammed and put in the Qur’an? I’m sorry, but I don’t buy that. I believe everything Mohammed said was a lie!

[/quote]

Booklover, I know you’re frustrated but we know what you believe. I believe it too, but that alone goes without saying. Please don’t add more fuel to the fire here. Remember, that’s exactly what we want to avoid here is the cop-out of answering to something “well that’s just what I believe.” I want the questions posed to people here answered, rather than giving them another option to go on a blind emotional tangent and trying to ignore the substance of the matter.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

[quote=fatuma]God has no end and since I don’t believe a human being can be God, what’s your point?

wa salam
[/quote]

The issue is not whether a human being can be God, but whether God can become human being. To say that God cannot become man is to say that God is not all-powerful. And if God is not all-powerful, then that means that there is no God since by difinition, God is all-powerful.

Jesus Christ is not a human being becoming God, but God becoming a human being.

[quote=Booklover]You ask why would Mohammed fabricate those stories? To give himself credibility of course. Why else?

Jesus sent us the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit to complete his work on earth and bring us the fullness of truth. That’s who he meant was coming, not Mohammed.

I feel like pulling my hair out! I get so frustrated. You don’t come here to find out what we believe, but to try to convert us to your way of thinking. Every time we try to explain something, you keep coming back to what you believe, that Jesus is not the Son of God and so on and so on.

Let me see if I have this right? you’re claiming that those sayings of Jesus not in the Bible were revealed to Mohammed and put in the Qur’an? I’m sorry, but I don’t buy that. I believe everything Mohammed said was a lie!

[/quote]

I dont have the ability to guide anyone. Only God guides.

When i hear someone say “mohamed wrote the Quran” it really sounds so silly. Have you read the Quran?

To you your religion, and to me mine :slight_smile:

[quote=PaulAckermann]The issue is not whether a human being can be God, but whether God can become human being. To say that God cannot become man is to say that God is not all-powerful. And if God is not all-powerful, then that means that there is no God since by difinition, God is all-powerful.

Jesus Christ is not a human being becoming God, but God becoming a human being.
[/quote]

Can God lie? If you say no, then you are putting limitations on God. If you say yes, then please explain

Trying to answer this question will explain what a Muslim is thinking when you tell them that God not being human is putting a limitation on Him

Praise God, who neither needs sleep nor food. He is self-sufficient

[quote=Faith101]Can God lie? If you say no, then you are putting limitations on God. If you say yes, then please explain

Trying to answer this question will explain what a Muslim is thinking when you tell them that God not being human is putting a limitation on Him

Praise God, who neither needs sleep nor food. He is self-sufficient
[/quote]

He can’t lie because he’s inherently good. There’s no limitation on him coming down as a human, unless he was inherently stuck-up.

As to WHY he chose to do this… that’s a whole different topic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.