The prospect of a split decision between the Electoral College and popular vote appears to be growing

The prospect of a split decision between the Electoral College and popular vote appears to be growing.

As the presidential race tightens in the last week of the campaign, the prospect of a split decision between the Electoral College and popular vote appears to be growing.

Trump earns 46 percent support nationally to Clinton’s 45 percent, a difference within the margin of error, according to this morning’s ABC News/Washington Post tracking poll.

Looking at the ABC News electoral map, however, Clinton still has the lead when it comes to the Electoral College breakdown.

abcn.ws/2fdSL3H

As long as the right candidate wins, right… ?

This is a common feature of U.S. elections. For example, in 2000, Gore came in second in the electoral vote but received 543,895 more popular votes than Bush.

I you factor in gerrymandering of House districts, the results are even more skewed. In 2012, Democrats received 1.4 million more votes nationwide for the House of Representatives, yet Republicans won control of the House by a 234 to 201 margin. The results were even more tilted in favor of Republicans in North Carolina, for example, where the two-party House vote was 51 percent Democratic, 49 percent Republican, but the state ended up with four Democrats and nine Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives.

There isn’t going to be a split. Clinton is going to win the popular vote and the electoral vote as almost all polls predict. I understand the news media has an interest in the election appearing to be neck-and-neck but as polling techniques improve reporting on the wild swings of tracking polls is irresponsible.

Trump will win. The MSM has been lying to us and they can’t anymore! Hillary can’t get out of this. She’s caught!

Anything could happen. Praying for a miracle…

Don’t see how she’s “caught”. The FBI aren’t investigating her. In fact it seems it’s the MSM pushing the idea that she is somehow “caught” to artificially narrow the race. This whole campaign has been ratings gold to them. They’ve begun treating it like a reality TV show rather than an important political/social event.

What happens if a week from tonight she wins? Are you going to blame the media and the libearls? Or are you going to be accept the defeat?

Almost all predict that but the Trump backers still need a poll to hang their caps on. The thing is Trump could win FL OH NC NV AZ and still lose the election.

From the latest polls, and from the amount of people democrats are sending to NC, it will be almost impossible for them to lose NC.

Trump would not only have to win Utah, NC, FLA, Pennsylvania, Iowa, NH, Geaorgia, Arizona, Ohio, but also a state like Wisconsin or Michigan

Yippee Skippy! Another several week long fight over chads! :rolleyes:

I heard a commentator say earlier today if Trump doesn’t win NC, we might as well call it a night.

I don’t have to worry about that! Will you do these things?

I have no horse in the race, I am voting for McMullin.

But, what if he loses, what will you do? Will you call the election rigged or will you say, at the end of the day the American people have spoken and even though I don’t like who won, I must respect the decision made by the country?

Yes that is what I heard too earlier today on 2 different networks. Plus at the current time, HRC is winning by more than 7 points in PA and VA

Like I said, I have nothing to worry about. Will Hillary accept the results is the question now.

Well I would think she would be happy she’s been elected, which she has. I don’t even care for the woman but I think this is a pretty obvious answer. :shrug:

Well Trump said he would only accept if he wins. That’s not good, he basically showed his hand already. I think both candidates are going to cry foul Tuesday night. I don’t think either candidate will take defeat very easily.

Not Clinton or Trump

I don’t think they will either. I hope things don’t get ugly on either side. Innocent people get hurt when bad guys don’t get their way. :frowning:

I wish I could take my conscience out of it and laugh like the third party voters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.