The Protestant church(s) foretold by Jesus in Scripture?

The House built on The Rock…

Matthew 7
“Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew
and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
“But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”
And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching,
for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Some things to consider?
For the Hebrews, water sometimes represented spirit (ala’ when Christ gave up His spirit, water poured from His heart, baptism in water, water turned to wine/spirit turned to flesh/Holy Spirit manifests itself in Christ to produce His first miracle, etc…).

Spirit was also represented as wind (Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit upon The Apostles, Jesus let out His last breath and died, etc…).

House often referenced a church (“Did you not know I’d be in My Father’s house?” when Jesus was found teaching in the Temple, Jesus calls the Temple His Father’s house when turning over the tables of the money changers, etc…).

Sand, made of soil; man is made of soil.

Best for last…rock, foundation of The Church,The Rock…Peter.

Matthew 7 then?

Those who build their churches on men, their churches are destined to fall apart when tested by the spirits of descent, of jealousy, of courruption, of discourse, of disagreement, etc…
(can we say 34,000+ denominations?)

Where those who adhere to The Church that was built upon Saint Peter The Rock, their Church will stand firm in the face of adversity and the storms of life.

Now, which Church is it that has shown itself to be built upon The Rock?

Dont forget one of my favorites, “itching ears” in 2 Tim 4:3

LOL!

You know something?

Timothy cannot be read in Protestant churches.

Just about every verse in those books are Catholic “friendly”.

Know what I want to do one day?

Take a group of Protestants to a Catholic Church and have them read how The Church is described in Revelation and Exodus.

Then, as they describe something “in” The Church, I’ll stop them and point to it (Priestly Vestments, Altar, Tabernacle, Candles, Incense, etc…).

That is why I jokingly call Timothy aNd Titus to be T ‘N’ T because they have many passages that demolish Protestant doctrines.

Being a baptist convert to Catholcism, I can tell you the book of Revelation makes baptist’s eyes glaze over. :confused: They haven’t a clue about the book. :eek:

Titus!

Yes!

I love Titus!

James and Peter also.

I notice they NEVER quote from those books!

LOL!

To the Peter denyers, I love to tell them that the term “Jesus, Lord and Saviour” comes from Peter!

Of course, they for some reason get angry at me!

LOL!

Revelations 8:3 and 5:8 drives them up a wall!

LOL

The scriptures you referenced refer to the altar of God in heaven where our sacrifice of prayer is brought before God. Incense is used in sacrifice and was used in the Temple in Israel. Since the coming of Christ, there is no need any further sacrifice on earth. Our prayers now are the sacrifice the Lord wants from us, and the only altar at which they are accepted is the one in the house of God.

Whoops, sorry, I just realized that I posted in a thread I was not supposed to.

Thanks for the encouragement to reread Timothy I and II as well as Titus again. They were very uplifting and instructive! (But I’m not Baptist, so…)

Maybe they need a copy of Lamb’s Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth :wink:

That’s because God made the supreme sacrifice and the Mass takes us back to Calvary to offer God the Father his own offering.

But only Catholics understand this as we have 2000 years of sacred tradition, was taught and had this handed down to us from generation to generation since the original apostles, the New Testament was written by Catholics for Catholics, and canonized into the Bible we have today by Catholic Bishops. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

Being an ex-baptist, I was never comfortable being in a faith that popped up just a few hundred years ago that keeps on splitting and splintering because they have no first hand knowledge to fall back on, no way to or even the authority to decipher scriptures, etc.

I couldn’t sleep at night until I became Catholic and could participate in the Mass. And Jesus said himself we could not enter the gates of heavens unless we ate of his body and drank of his blood. You can only do this at the Mass.

2 Timothy 3:16 is quoted all the time, though for some reason they claim it supports sola scriptura, though it says nothing of the sort, instead it says all Scripture is inspired and useful, which all Christians should believe. Though interesting that the NIV deliberately mistranslates bishops as overseers so that the church Episcopal structure is less obvious from it.

The Catholic Epistles are the ones that are never read, the name Catholic Epistle clearly meaning more than one thing.

James 2:14-20 (esp verse 20)
1 Peter 1:7
2 Peter 1:20-21
1 John 1:9
1 John 5:16-17

They’re the most stand out verses from the Catholic Epistles, though there are many others I’m sure.

Also 1 Maccabees 2:52 is virtually identical to sometimes quoted verse Romans 4:3 which is actually said by St Paul to be a scripture quote!

You mean “one” of the scriptures I quoted.

Any comment on the other two?

Ok, but could you provide any scriptures that say that we don’t need to make a sacrificial offer anymore?

I know that Jesus didn’t undo “The Law” given to Moses which required an altar. He professed that not one letter of The Law would be done away with until His return.

So we know that God never said The Altar was to become obselete. In fact, He’s the One Who commanded it’s construction.

We also know that Jesus never said that The Altar would become obselete. In fact, He’s the One Who emphasised on how we were to properly offer a sacrifice.

We also know The Altar is seen in heaven too.

So, Altar in the past, Altar in Christianity and Altar in Heaven.

Where among all that did it state that The Altar was to become obselete?

Who said it?

Scripture?

:slight_smile:

Everytime I hear one of these stories, I think of this:

Luke 15:
20So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21"The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.[a]’

22"But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, but I easily devour that scripture by pointing out that their taking it out of context and that that verse is only a “fragment” of a verse…what happens when you include the sentence as it is written?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Two points; one, “work”? LOL! They don’t even want to go there with me on the issue of Christians doing “Good Work”! LOL!

Two? “All Scripture”? Being that The Bible didn’t exist when Paul wrote this, what Scriptures was He referring to? He didn’t know that a Bible was going to be written. He was referring to The Old Testament which was what The Primitive Church used to prove Christ.

Of course, they didn’t use the Protestant version of the OT (it didn’t exist yet). They (Paul and The Apostles) used the Septugaint which included all the books on which a bulk of universal (Catholic) Christianity is based on.

So Tim does them no good…at least not after I’m done with them.

:smiley:

Another thing, the quote applies to Priests (man of God), not to common folk.

The Baptist Church, Of course

Really? :hmmm: Which Baptists attended the council of Nicea in AD 325 where they discussed such things as “qualifications, precedence and jurisdiction of bishops and priests (canons 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 19), the proper role of deacons at the celebration of the Eucharist (canon 18), measures to ensure the validity of the ordination of bishops (canon 4), uniformity in the celebration of the Church’s Eucharistic Liturgy (canon 20), the preservation of the celibacy of the clergy (canon 3) and the treatment of penitents and their reconciliation (canons 11, 12, 13, 14).”?

Was it a Baptist who defined the word “Trinity” to mean One God in Three Persons?

Which Baptists were present at the Councils of Hippo and Carthage when the New Testament was formally canonized?

Where can I find writings of Baptist leaders in the church during the post-apostolic era?

:smiley:

No! They have a different definition for “rock” than what scripture defines it as.

To “them”, the rock that Jesus built His Church on was either Peter’s confession
(which is odd because if it was, Jesus gave The Keys to The Kingdom of Heaven to a bunch of words floating in the air! LOL)

or Jesus Hiimself

(which would make Jesus Christ ileterate [LOL! Would you believe that I had to look up the word ileterate to find out how it’s spelled? LOL]) since His usage of the word rock twice as two different persons or objects is incorrect.

Oh wait, I love this one
"When Jesus said ‘upon this rock’, He was pointing to Himself!"

LOL!

The Baptist Church, Of course

:confused:
Is that your answer for everything?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.