The Protestant Harvest Festival

Well I am 17 and my best friend has been asking me for 4 years to go with her to the Harvest Festival and I have been telling her that I don’t want to go because I don’t feel comfortable going to a Protestant Celebration. So I have been wondering about the differnent veiws that Catholics have on the Harvest Festival. Any Comments, concerns and/or Opinions galdly welcomed.

God Bless Everyone!

I have no idea why this would be a problem. Is your faith strong? If so, it's not like your soul is in peril...

What does the Harvest Festival entail? Is it just a sort of fair/carnival fundraiser-type celebration?

For starters, I think that we can take a lot of Catholicism for granted if you have nothing to compare it to. It’s nice to be able to see what others believe; it helps you to be better able to pick up on similarities and differences between faiths, and better appreciate what you have. And it helps you to be able to see other denominations in their “home territory” and get a better grasp of what it is they believe. Granted, you need to have a solid foundation first in your own faith. :slight_smile: If the Harvest Festival is a religious celebration, you should go if you feel solid and confident in what you already have, but stay away if you feel it would cause spiritual damage for some reason.

That being said, I wouldn’t see any problem with going to someone else’s church’s fundraiser festival and eating their funnel cakes and winning a prize or two at their booth. :slight_smile:

Is your concern that you will be treated poorly or that others will try to convert you?

They used to have these at my old “non-denominational” elementary school. It’s basically a way for fundamentalists to celebrate halloween (even though they think it’s evil) by limiting the celebration to their own circle of friends and using a different label instead of “halloween”. :smiley:

FWIW I would be like the only Catholic at those things and nobody ever tried to “convert” me. Then again I was part of the group of people they knew already.

Since it seems to be a Protestant, maybe Fundamentalist replacement for our Traditional Religious All Hollows Eve (Commercially replaced as “Fun” ‘Halloween’) I’de say no thanks; We appreciate the original idea of Respecting Our Deceased. God Bless you asking. [LIST] It’s always Best for us to not Support any other denomnations service; can be Ok to simply attend, as I have Orthodox Divine Liturgy. I once attended an Anglican Sunday ‘mass’, was stared at by all, because I didn’t participate in ‘communion’ for everyone there.
[/LIST]

Mostly that’s what they are around here - an anti-Halloween event.

However, there is one Church near where I used to live where it was an all-out old-time revival with music, preachers and multiple altar calls.

It would be prudent to find out if the OP’s Harvest Festival is the former or the latter type.

Sorry about the confusion about what the Harvest Festival is about let me explain. In california it takes place in the Angel's baseball Stdium because it is a large event and it is where protestant bands play music of all types from rap to metal and then have the paster Greg Laurie preach to the perople and try to convert the non protestant people attending the Harvest Festival to protestant christians. I am strong in my Faith that I will NOT convert but it makes me feel pressured by everyone there to convert.

The church-sponsored harvest celebrations in my community - don’t know about elsewhere - aren’t worship services. They essentially parties where kids dress up in costumes, adults hand out treats, there there are carnival-type games and small rides in the parking lot, cider and donuts, bales of hay, pumkins. It’s essentially a Halloween party with no mention of Halloween or ghosts or gouls or anything spooky. It’s Haloween-lite, if you will.

There’s a non-denominational mega-church down the street from our home, and when our girls were in 1st grade we went to their harvest celebration in lieu of going trick-or-treating. We went because I was nosey, basically. It was nice enough. No one prosthelytized, but the girls did get some religious tracts in their candy bag. Nothing anti-Catholic, just Bible quotes and biblical scenes they could color.

If the thought of going really bothers you, share your concerns with your friend and listen to what she has to say. If she’s your best friend she shouldn’t want to put you in any situation that makes you uncomfortable, and she should be respectful of your religious beliefs.

OH… well… that changes things a bit… I thought maybe it was just a festival type gathering… not a preachin’ from the pulpit type thing!

[quote="Catholic15, post:1, topic:249926"]
Well I am 17 and my best friend has been asking me for 4 years to go with her to the Harvest Festival and I have been telling her that I don't want to go because I don't feel comfortable going to a Protestant Celebration. So I have been wondering about the differnent veiws that Catholics have on the Harvest Festival. Any Comments, concerns and/or Opinions galdly welcomed.

God Bless Everyone!

[/quote]

Honey if you don't feel comfortable going then do not go if you friend is a true friend she will understand I am a convert from a pentecostal background so I know how these people work but thanks be to God I am now a Catholic that knows the truth.

[quote="Catholic15, post:8, topic:249926"]
Sorry about the confusion about what the Harvest Festival is about let me explain. In california it takes place in the Angel's baseball Stdium because it is a large event and it is where protestant bands play music of all types from rap to metal and then have the paster Greg Laurie preach to the perople and try to convert the non protestant people attending the Harvest Festival to protestant christians. I am strong in my Faith that I will NOT convert but it makes me feel pressured by everyone there to convert.

[/quote]

This isn't "Harvest" as in the season of Autumn.
It's "Harvest" as in Harvest Ministries, one of the mega-churches.

You are right not to go based on this more detailed description. Not only would there be pressure to respond to the "call" but the theology of Havest Ministries is not very compatible with Catholic teaching.

They would share the Gospel in an event like this. It is an evangelical tool to pass on the good news. In and of itself, that is a good thing, if you just don’t know Jesus. The music is usually pretty good and generally Jesus music.

Now that being said…very often they may have been taught that you are in a dead religion and don’t know Jesus as your personal lord and savior.

As Catholics, he is personal and communal…if you pray and converse with Jesus…and go to reconciliation and church on sunday, pray, you know all the things you might just do already…spending quiet time with just Jesus…you DO know Him and He knows you.

Do you think your friend would try to convince you to convert or does your friend really experience the Holy Spirit and just wants to share? These things can work in other ways too…if your Catholic community has Matt Maher/Audrey Assad and Ike Ndolo come or a conference where there is Eucharistic Adoration and lots of teaching and music, your friend might like to come. Talk to your mom and dad they might want to go with you.

[quote="mamaslo, post:13, topic:249926"]

Do you think your friend would try to convince you to convert or does your friend really experience the Holy Spirit and just wants to share? These things can work in other ways too...if your Catholic community has Matt Maher/Audrey Assad and Ike Ndolo come or a conference where there is Eucharistic Adoration and lots of teaching and music, your friend might like to come. Talk to your mom and dad they might want to go with you.

[/quote]

This is the only reason I'd consider going... reciprocity!!! ;)
If you're strong in your faith and aren't concerned about being "converted" then maybe this would allow you the opportunity to invite him to a Catholic event of some sort... or to come along to Mass! "I'll go with you if you come with me!" :p :D

not enough info

how is a “Harvest Festival” a form of Protestant worship? unless they have changed radically

what is a “Harvest Festival”, sounds like an alternative entertainment for children and teens for those who have a hang-up about Halloween, but unless it means some kind of worship it is fine to attend.

Well our Church is promoting unity between us. Often protestants think we believe in all kinds of things. It could promote unity. Frankly, I want everyone I know to have the fullness of faith, but finding a way to communicate where they are at is important.

I will give you a chance to work on your apologetics, and philosophy. You also may learn where your friend is coming from.

If it’s a concert and preaching, there is worship. Same God different theology…if it is games and dunk the pirate youth minister…well no harm done.

If you know what you believe, it can give you a chance to dialog…like the Pope and the Orthodox leaders.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:15, topic:249926"]
not enough info

how is a "Harvest Festival" a form of Protestant worship? unless they have changed radically

what is a "Harvest Festival", sounds like an alternative entertainment for children and teens for those who have a hang-up about Halloween, but unless it means some kind of worship it is fine to attend.

[/quote]

She is exactly correct: She feels uncomfortable as Known Catholic going to a "Protestant" festival. She knows what it Is. And it is the opposite of our All Hollows Eve tribute to Our Deceased: the all sales, all commercial invention 'halloween.' She has great intuition! IMO: Correctly. :thumbsup:

The Roman and Orthodox Churches do Not want us Supporting, Promoting Other Faiths. I have for a Decade been a leader in an Annual ‘Joint Word/Worship’ locally, of about 8 denominations. We Avoid Any Dogma or major differences, Only Non-Conflicting to any Joint choir Hymns and 2 minute Christian General thoughts by Each Pastor. It’s Ideal; [LIST]
Never joint Religous Services. Only Adult led proper Word/Worship, as the WCC/Vatican have agreed to. WCC/Vatican world Agreement guidelines, favoring, promoting Neither.[/LIST] A local Lutheran Pastor invited my Catholic Pastor to Jointly observe Reformation Day. Very Small turnout in their Church, but Ideal joint Choirs singing, brief calls for working for reuniting, by Each Pastor. [SIGN]The Vatican rules/guidelines on Joint Ecumenicism, for universal Good[/SIGN] Formal ‘evangelization/ecumenicism’ Individually can be highly damaging To The Church, because of The Misunderstandings/mistakes/arguements Resulting. Casual Chats with otrhers at Work, anywhere are Encouraged, but only if we Know what the Church is Talking about. [SIGN]LEGION OF MARY[/SIGN] is the World Ecumenical door-to-door Outreach Of The Church: over a Million in Every part of The World, Properly Organized, courteous: Recognized such by Every Pope since the 1920’s. The Pastor is the Leader of Each Pasrish Legion, which Reduces his time in Outreach. We have 7 Praesidia in Our big Parish, including [SIGN] Junior Legion of Mary[/SIGN] for Under 18.

I don’t understand your point…I did suggest she talk to her parents. The event is with a friend and would be a dialog with her and maybe her family. If she doesn’t know how to describe her beliefs this would be a good learning experience as there are less compassionate people out there who she might face in the future.

I would invite a protestant friend to a Matt Maher concert…actually Matt Maher and Audrey Assad both toured with Jars of Clay. The concert was amazing and they were able to find community. I am sure there were conversations amongst the members and they both grew in charity.

So maybe, you are saying the same? I don’t understand what your point is…(not being strong or mean just don’t understand).:shrug:

oh... joint worship isn't what was being talked about. You must be speaking about something official. This is not official...but personal. We are sent to evangelize...and from what I have learned...that includes loving someone where they are now on their journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.