The Protestant's Virgin

The protestant doctrines also worship a Virgin because the Church is represented by a woman through out the Bible.

If we tell any protestant brother that his/her church's doctrine is wrong, most likely they ae going to act in a defensive manner and imediately will point out their church's doctrine as the only way to heaven.

The only difference, however, is the fact that our Mother, Mary or our Church has been on earth for over two millenniums. As oppose to their Church, which is new. And the scripture says in the last days false prophets with false doctrines will apppear.

[quote=Ricardo Gomez]The protestant doctrines also worship a Virgin because the Church is represented by a woman through out the Bible.

[/quote]

I am a Catholic and:

WE DON’T WORSHIP MARY!!!

Ricardo, I hope you meant venerate. :confused:

A) If you are serious that you worship the church or Mary then you seem to be sinning. Learn a bit more about your church it worship was used intentially

B) I don’t know of many Protestand churches that preach their particular dogma is the only way one gets to heaven. Every protestant church has some basic truths we agree on; Jesus was crucified and rose from the grave to save us from eternal deperation from him, one should be babtized, and one shoud live a life according to the teachings left gor us in scripture. The only denomination that has told me that I would go to hell if I didn’t believe in their churches dogma is the Catholic church.

[quote=Shlemele]A) If you are serious that you worship the church or Mary then you seem to be sinning. Learn a bit more about your church it worship was used intentially.
[/quote]

I agree, but I rather think the poor guy only meant veneration, as in the kind of feelings one naturally has towards one’s mother or religious community.

B) I don’t know of many Protestand churches that preach their particular dogma is the only way one gets to heaven. Every protestant church has some basic truths we agree on; Jesus was crucified and rose from the grave to save us from eternal deperation from him, one should be babtized, and one shoud live a life according to the teachings left gor us in scripture. The only denomination that has told me that I would go to hell if I didn’t believe in their churches dogma is the Catholic church.

Well, your experience is very different from mine, then. When I was a Pentecostalist, we believed that only those who had “accepted Jesus as personal Lord and Savior” were going to be saved. Everyone else, including Catholics and mainline Protestants, who didn’t believe as we did were damned for sure.

The Catholic Church doesn’t say you have to believe in their dogma, as far as I know, to be saved. If you know that it is the Church established by Christ and leave or are not in it on the other hand…that’s another story. We believe that you must be united in the Catholic Church to be saved, but there are other ways than professing the Catholic faith. It’s something that took me a while to grasp how the concept works, but I think I get it now.

[quote=Shlemele] The only denomination that has told me that I would go to hell if I didn’t believe in their churches dogma is the Catholic church.
[/quote]

Whoever told you that, doesn’t understand the Catholic Church.

[quote=Shlemele]The only denomination that has told me that I would go to hell if I didn’t believe in their churches dogma is the Catholic church.
[/quote]

That is most certainly not true. The Catholic Church would be teaching that other Christians would be going to hell if this were the case. In fact, the Catholic Church (and Orthodox to the best of my knowledge) is the only one teaches that it is possible for even non-Christians to go to heaven.

Exactly, I know according to the Catholic church Protestants are saved, but I was just trying to make the point that we get this stuff to, I can’t tell you how many times growing up in a predominately Catholic town I was told I was not going to heaven beacuse I was of the Christian religion and not Catholic like them :rolleyes: . The only cure for it is to EDUCATE yourself in both the scriptures and in theology (and not just that of your church).

[quote=Shlemele]The only cure for it is to EDUCATE yourself in both the scriptures and in theology (and not just that of your church).
[/quote]

Yes. But the Catholic/Orthodox Church has a huge bonus. We have 2000 years of history that interprets that Scripture and teaches us that theology. :wink: That is the Church!

[quote=Ricardo Gomez]The protestant doctrines also worship a Virgin.
[/quote]

Ummm no,
Thats incorrect sir… atleast in my church. We make references to Mary but in no way do we worship her. I believe ALL praise and worship goes to God, and in my life, thats where it goes.

we don’t worship either, we venerate:)

[quote=Ricardo Gomez]The protestant doctrines also worship a Virgin because the Church is represented by a woman through out the Bible.
[/quote]

You must go to confession. NOW!

Deutoronomy 5:7 **You shall not have other gods besides me.

**If you worship Mary you have automatically excommunicated yourself from the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Mary is blessed, Mary is the Mother of the Church, Mary was the first Christian and she must be venerated but she IS NOT DIVINE!

[quote=Shlemele]Exactly, I know according to the Catholic church Protestants are saved, but I was just trying to make the point that we get this stuff to, I can’t tell you how many times growing up in a predominately Catholic town I was told I was not going to heaven beacuse I was of the Christian religion and not Catholic like them :rolleyes: . The only cure for it is to EDUCATE yourself in both the scriptures and in theology (and not just that of your church).
[/quote]

Excuse me sir, but Catholics were the first Christians. Without us, you would have no Bible. You wouldn’t know what to call your Bible (since the word Bible is not in there), you would not know when to celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc. :wink:

Kind of a circular arguement Semper, since there was no devide before the Reformation, the catholic church did exist but it was lower case, since there was only one church. Also to be honest the catholic church adopted pegan holidays since nobody really knows when to celebrate the birth of Christ (nobody took that date down). Have you guys been around a while? Yes. Does it mean that you have always been right? No. I support the Catholic church, My wife is Catholic as well as many of my closest friends, so don’t get me wrong I’m not anti-Catholic. I just feel that BOTH our churches have a long way to go before all our members understand their faith.

A festival of the birth of the Unconquered Sun (or Dies Natalis Solis Invicti) was celebrated in the Roman Empire around the time of the winter solstice, when the duration of daylight begins to increase—a “rebirth” of the sun. It is conjectured by some to have originated with the Sol Invictus cult of the “unconquered sun”, and to have been promoted by Emperor Aurelian (270-275 CE) as a means of linking this rebirth with the perpetual renewal of the Roman Empire, even though sun-worship was not Rome’s official religion. Others conjecture that it was instituted and promoted by Aurelius as a pagan rival to the Christian celebration of Christmas.

Reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_of_the_birth_of_the_Unconquered_Sun

More than likely the early Romans took this date from Christians, not the other way around.

[quote=Shlemele]Kind of a circular arguement Semper, since there was no devide before the Reformation, the catholic church did exist but it was lower case, since there was only one church. Also to be honest the catholic church adopted pegan holidays since nobody really knows when to celebrate the birth of Christ (nobody took that date down). Have you guys been around a while? Yes. Does it mean that you have always been right? No. I support the Catholic church, My wife is Catholic as well as many of my closest friends, so don’t get me wrong I’m not anti-Catholic. I just feel that BOTH our churches have a long way to go before all our members understand their faith.
[/quote]

This is your opinion, Shlemele. My belief is that Christ instituted the Catholic Church 2000 years ago and promised that the gates of hell shall not prevail. Yes, the same Catholic Church that is here today. Have we always been right? Yes. The Holy Spirit does not lie. However, the father of lies and division made some leeway back in—oh, say about 1517? I’m not saying that anything that is not Catholic/Orthodox is evil. I am not anti-protestant. I’m saying that the fullness of truth became watered down when Martin Luther set off his unfortunate chain reaction.

Peace and blessings,
Mickey

[/quote]

Which protestant doctrines?

Do all drivers get drunk and kill people?
Do all trees lose their leaves?
Do all mountains erupt in fire and bury whole civilzations?

[quote=Shlemele]Exactly, I know according to the Catholic church Protestants are saved…
[/quote]

Schlemele,

Actually, this is not true. It’s also not true that the Catholic Church teaches that all Catholics are “saved” in any final sense of the word. You want to be saved? Do the following:

1. Repent, and believe in Jesus Christ.
  2. Observe God’s commandments.
  3. Avail yourself of all of the sacraments Christ left to administer His grace.
  4. Never fool yourself into thinking you cannot lose your salvation.
  5. Perservere to the end.

Do these, and you may know you have eternal life! Belief is not intellectual assent; it is a way of life! This is “the obedience of faith” (Rom 1:5, 16:26), the phrase which stands like bookends around St. Paul’s letter to the Romans. This is the context with which he uses the word “faith”. These are the words God gave to us through St. Paul (and others), and this is how we may know God’s will. If you attempt any other way, you are demanding that God have mercy on you in a way which He never promised. The Church longs for a prize such as you - I hope you see the truth that I write, and understand the charitable nature in which I this was written.

May God bless you and your family richly,

RyanL

[quote=Semper Fi]Excuse me sir, but Catholics were the first Christians.
[/quote]

This is true based on facts and history.

Without us, you would have no Bible.

True again but, they might still have an OT. They let non-Christians edit their OT after all. They allowed it in in the 1500’s by Luther when he tried to delete 11+ books of Scripture. Also later in the 1800’s (English publishing houses)when they followed NON-Christian cannon for their OT decided on by a small isolated group of non-Christians in 90 A.D.

You wouldn’t know what to call your Bible (since the word Bible is not in there),

Yes they would only they would call it the Book Of Mormon or something like that.

you would not know when to celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc. :wink:

You mean like the JW’s! Or the SDA’s without Christian Sunday worship.

There are so many versions of the Protestant Bible with conflicting verses and such. The one thing they all have in common is the proof that anyone can write their own Bible and sell it. No authority needed. The Catholic Church on the other hand has the authority and duty given her by God to maintain the purity of Scripture. Thus fewer versions but more acurate ones.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.