The Purposes of Chrisitanity and Islam

Hi.

There was a quote in another thread that basically said “Don’t go to a dentist when you have a stomach ache” referring to Christians who ask Christians about Islam rather than Muslims.

Quick question…not meant as an insult, but more of an exercise in logic…if going to the dentist (Christian) is incompatible with a stomach ache doctor’s work (Muslim), then it is implied that the two serve different purposes.

**What purpose do Muslims view Christianity serves?

What purpose do Muslims view Islam serves?**

and…

**What purpose do Christians view that Islam serves (no insults please)?

What purpose do Christians view Christianity serves?**

Now I know that what I quoted above was not the view of all Muslims. But I also sense that it brought up a good question.

God bless,
Aaron Magnan

Christianity keeps people out of Hell and gets them into Heaven. It allows us to know our Creator. It gives glory and acknowlegment to our Creator for the wonderful things He has done for us, and for His majesty. That’s the piurpose of Christianity.
Islam gives people who are not willing or not ready to acknowledge Christ’s sacrifice for them a way to feel religious and hope for paradise. but it is a false hope in their case. The way to paradise is through Jesus Christ. Islam therefore serves only the lesser part of its purpose.

It is perhaps better that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself explain how Muslims view earlier Prophets like Jesus, Moses and Abraham (pbut).

Abu Huraira reports that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

“My position, in relation to the prophets who came before me, can be explained in the following example: ‘A man erected a building and adorned his edifice with great beauty, but he left an empty niche in the corner, where just one brick was missing. People looked around the building and marveled at its beauty, but wondered why a brick was missing from that niche! I am like unto that one missing brick and I am the last in line of the prophets.’” (Reported by Bukhari and Muslim.)

Therefore, the Message that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) brought is only a continuation of the revelations brought by earlier Prophets and the deen (way of life) of Islam has been completed and is perfect in the eyes of God as told in Surah 5:3 of the Qur’an:

“This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.”

And so then, if the Creator Himself has said that Islam is perfect and has promised to preserve it till the Day of Judgment, then who are the creations to disagree with Him?

And my own view of the Qur’an with regard to the Bible and all other earlier scriptures is like this:

Why read last week’s newspaper when today’s edition has just been delivered to your door-step?

Why refer to an old obsolete book which has many of it’s pages either missing, torn or defaced to the point of being unreadable when the very latest complete and revised edition of the book by the very same author is now available at your neighbourhood bookstore?

How does Islam validate its claims to authority?

Bearing in mind that the Qur’an is the heart and soul of Islam, there is indeed a foolproof method to test and ascertain the validity of Islam…

1 Thessalonians 5:21
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

The fullproof method hasn’t passed, as explained by posters in that exact thread, perticularly by Valke2 at the beginning.

You need to read the whole thread till the end in order to ascertain whether or not the method has passed.

What is it?

You need to click on the link provided and read all the proofs and evidences presented in the thread in order to ascertain for yourself whether they are true or not.

By insistence of inerrancy reinforced by the scimitar.

No, what I need the standard of falsifiability you are using, and the aspect of the koran you claim meets and beats that test.

It’s a simple question and I see no need to wade through another thread to have it answered.

Hello, This is the opinion of us Muslims on this matter.

Christianity is not what Jesus believed. Nor was it what Jesus Preached . Jesus was a worshipper of the one true God of All times, the God of Moses and Abraham and Noah. Muslims believe that the accounts that has been attributed to Jesus are not trustworthy in their entirety. Either they are misinterpreted or are not authentic. The evidence of this is its clear outright contradiction with the Torah in regards to Jesus bieng God or son of God or God incarnate etc…

The mission of Jesus was to bring back the people of Israel to the essence of the proper belief in God and give them the taste of spirituality of faith more than just the strict literal rules with no life in them . He was / is their mesiah , and to prove this to them he brought them wornderful miracles. He came to them with forgiveness of past sins if they follow him and ease in previous restrictions that have been levied on them due to past disobediences.

The Mission of Islam is the above except it is directed to the not only to the tribes of Israel but to whole world . Since some followers of jesus misunderstood him and amde him into God , and since the jews rejected him as an imposter all togeather. God sent a final prophet to correct both of them . He sent Muhammed with the Quran. It was sent to the world .

Islam serves as the religion God accepts from mankind to use to understand him and worship him.

Current mainstream christianity serves as a wayto understand God however, in muslim opinion , isnot a correct way , and would not be accepted on Judgement day.

with respect,

Meedo

Islam is a false and violent religion founded by an illiterate killer who had sex with young girls. The Koran is full of lies and deceit. Mohammad must be Satan’s star student!

I don’t know and I don’t care.

What purpose do Muslims view Islam serves?

I don’t know and I don’t care.

**What purpose do Christians view that Islam serves (no insults please)?

No insults? Drat. In that case, nothing.

(If insults were permitted, I would have much more to say about Islam (note: not about Muslims in general)).

What purpose do Christians view Christianity serves?

To bring all men to salvation through Jesus Christ our LORD and GOD!!! AMEN!!!

Problematic to Catholics is determining when and where this supposed corruption and deviation occured. Biblical texts from the Peshetta to the Vulgate are in agreement, and writings of the Early Church Fathers - in some cases the same writings of the same fathers in different codexes in different languages agreeing.

So when and where this defection took place is the first thing we want to know. Then we want to know the standards by which it has been judged and determined a defection occured (Muslims are really making scholarly appeal to problematic understandings of how to reconcile Christianity to the Torah???).

If the Catholic Church is wrong, when and where did we go wrong? If the teachings of Jesus can be demonstrated to be corrupted without simple recourse to the argument, “The Koran says, Christinaity doesn’t follow, so they must have been corrupted for surely it should!” (or “The Koran says so”) let us know. We will head to our closest mosques *post haste. *

Well jesus himself didnt give a book to be kept. What muslims beleve that his words are not kept fully intact and comments and beliefs from other people at his time contradict with what he himself says or believes. It is not a case of a book bieng forgered or added to , its more of a case of meanings and beliefs said to be supported by Jesus when he really didnt hold such beliefs or preached them.

Many standards can lead to very obvious contradictions . First, in Christianity as it is believed today Jesus appears to have come with totally heretical ideas , very new and different to what is in the Old testament. Things that are the very pillars of the faith of the people of israel for a long time.

for example, the idea of him bieng God. That eating pork is allowed . That salvation is only through his personal death . and so forth.

ll this that is bieng attributed as the faith of Jesus or what he implied from his words are completely heretical and contradictory to mroe than a thousand years of Consensus of belief in the history of the People of Israel .

Second Even if we take the current sayings of jesus in the Gospels as his words , he himself doesnt explicitly support any of these radical changes in belief. he never claimed to be God , never asked people to worship him, refered to other thanhmself as God , prayed etc… Therefore it is very likely that other parts of the NT is written by people whom would have a different idea of belief other than Jesus himself. Thus would not be a true reflection of the message that Jesus delivered .

The above are the simple but compelling arguments that the current belief of Christianity is not the belief of jesus or what he himself has preached. I am not talking here about what Islam said . I am simply critically looking at the Modern christian belief in relation to the Old testament, Jewish belief at the time and Jesus own words.

thanks

Meedo

There are a number of possible answers to these questions, but I think the answer to ‘What purpose does Islam serve’ and ‘What purpose does Christianity serve’ is both aim to union and relationship with the One and True God.

Looking from the outside at the Abrahamic faiths, and ignoring some theological squabbles, to say each worship a different God is meaningless. All monotheistic religions clearly believe in one Absolute, and this Absolute or Real is personal, and reveals himself and his will in scripture. The accepted scriptures in each religion are different, but if one examines and compares the writings of the main theologians and philosophers, their conception of God and his attributes is generally very similar. The main exception is Christianity, in the sense it attributes in the Godhead three persons, while for Jews and Muslims God is one Being and also one Person in the same Godhead.

The above are the simple but compelling arguments that the current belief of Christianity is not the belief of jesus or what he himself has preached. I am not talking here about what Islam said . I am simply critically looking at the Modern christian belief in relation to the Old testament, Jewish belief at the time and Jesus own words.

I have to disagree with you on all points, particularly on the quality of the arguments. The Islamic assertions betray an investigation whose outcome was predetermined before it began. It judges Christianity with the presumption Islam is correct from the outset.

Furthermore, despite all the Islamic rhetorical gesticulating, there is even less support for the idea Jesus practiced anything close to Islam than there is for the same claim about Christianity (as if Islam is unfamiliar with unique prerogatives reserved to a founder).

First, in Christianity as it is believed today Jesus appears to have come with totally heretical ideas , very new and different to what is in the Old testament. Things that are the very pillars of the faith of the people of israel for a long time.

…ll this that is bieng attributed as the faith of Jesus or what he implied from his words are completely heretical and contradictory to mroe than a thousand years of Consensus of belief in the history of the People of Israel .

All of which can be rabbincally justified if one has a knowledge of the OT and no talmudic axe to grind. One would think the original Christians didn’t appear until the NT was codified.

The people of Israel were given certain specific signs to look for in the OT. Some ignored them, and some payed attention. The official rejection of those signs by the leadership of Israel ushered in a new era in which the truths of God and His plan for mankind were hidden from them.

Even if we take the current sayings of jesus in the Gospels as his words , he himself doesnt explicitly support any of these radical changes in belief. he never claimed to be God , never asked people to worship him, refered to other thanhmself as God , prayed etc…

This is simply studied ignorance. Jesus did all those things if one simply accepts what the Church teaches and the Biblical text says.

If the Bible had a verse in which Jesus says “I’m God,” muslims would simply claim he didn’t really say that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.