The Quran and Jesus’ Crucifixion

I read something tonight that I tried to link, but to no avail. Anyway, it said that Muslims believe that Jesus didn’t die on the cross, but that it was someone else, thought to be Jesus. This is in the Quran.
How many years after Jesus’ death was the Quran written? How many years after Jesus’ death did Muhommad live? How many years after Jesus’ death did Islam appear?

Hello friend,

Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet of Allah and (as the Muslim logic goes) it would be an abomination for one of Allah’s chosen prophets to die such a humilating death.
They believe he was swapped out at the last minute and it is believed that Judas was the one crucified.
Sura 4:157.

Jesus probably died around the year 30 and the Koran was not finalized until 632, with the death of Muhammed. The actual Koran was not compiled until the 640’s-650’s after much research was done to see what were Muahmmed’s sayings and revelations and which ones were not.

Muhammed lived from 570 - 632, so over 500 years after Jesus. Islam appeared along with Muhammed during Muhammed’s lifetime and began to take off ever since.

Ironically enough, the Koran in Sura 19 quotes Jesus speaking as an infant (this is one of his miracles according to Islam): “Peace be on me the day I was born, the day I will die, and the day I am risen back alive.” This is a contradictory statement to Islamic theologians. They deny that Allah’s prohets could be killed (nevermind the other prophets before Jesus who were killed before him) but yet apparently the infant Jesus spoke about his own death.

*In the Koran, sura is the same as a chapter.

Once you begin reading the Koran along with Catholic supplementals, you will realize that Catholicism is the only one true faith. But there is no denying the impact Islam is and continues to have on the world.

God bless.

Google is your friend…

• Muslims believe that the Quran was verbally revealed by God to Muhammad through the angel Gabriel (Jibril), gradually over a period of approximately 23 years, beginning on 22 December 609 CE, when Muhammad was 40, and concluding in 632, the year of his death.

• Despite concerns about the reliability of early sources, most historians (non-Muslims)[1] believe that Islam originated in Mecca and Medina at the start of the 7th century. Muslims however believe that it did not start with Muhammad, but that it was the original faith of others whom they regard as Prophets, such as Jesus, David, Moses, Abraham, Noah and Adam.

• That they said (in boast), “We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah”;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:- Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;- — Qur’an, sura 4 (An-Nisa) ayat 157–158

unless you are a conservative…stirring

they also don’t believe Jesus is the son of God or in the trinity. this is why it is so interesting to see christians defend the muslim faith. only one can be true.

Hmmm, I’m quite conservative, I just use the tools available to me and do my best from there.

just my brand of humor,not meant to offend

If everybody relied on the information they Googled, there would be very little to discuss here on CAF.

I know next to nothing about Islam, despite having known a few Muslims. So, the belief that Jesus wasn’t crucified was started by the writings and teachings of Mohammed?

Well, there’s a big difference between the writings and teachings of Muhammed (the Hadith) and the revelations he received from Allah (the Koran).

The Hadith and Koran are two similar yet different things. It’s not like the Catholic Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture.

The revelation of Jesus not being crucified was in the Koran, so it’s the literal word of Allah. It’s different than the Hadith, which is the life, sayings, and teachings of Muhammed.

So, to answer your question, Muslims do not believe in the crucifixion strictly because the Koran says it did not happen. A good Muslim would never question the word of Allah, irregardless if it contradicts itself in the Koran.

God bless.

I thought Muhammed wrote the Quran, no? And if Allah (or as we call Him, God) said Jesus wasn’t crucified, how can we know He wasn’t, since that is coming from God Himself?

I actually have a Muslim friend that challenges the accuracy of the Bible as he claimed it was “corrupted”. (He’s a legitimately nice guy, and I do like talking to him, but he’s wrong). Yet, look how long afterwards the Quran came about. I’ve seen plenty of extrabiblical evidence that Jesus was crucified. I’ve seen no convincing evidence he wasn’t.

Islam is literally just a Christian heresy.

He did. Muhammed believed he was receiving word-for-word revelations from Allah. (Allah is simply Arabic for God).

How do we know? Well, the Koran is not an inspired book. It is not the revelation of God. There are many blatant historical errors not to mention the abundance of theological questions that arise from it. The abrogation theory also hurts Islamic apologetics because anything that is said in an early part of the Koran can be cancelled (or abrogated) by another later part.

There are multiple non-Christian sources (Pliny the Younger, Publius Cornelius, Josephus) who mention explicitly in their work the crucifixion of Jesus.

Mostly all Christian denominations (excluding JWs, etc) acknowledge Jesus’ crucifixion. There is good reason to believe He was crucified because of the Roman sources.

Except that, unlike the Christian Faith, no one ever heard Allah speak. Nor did anyone ever hear the purported angel speak to Mohammed. Nor, did Mohammed ever compile a Koran. The Koran which Muslims rely upon is by a fellow known as Uthman. He presented his after he burned the piles and piles of debris that Mohammed left behind.

Whereas, Jesus Christ, God the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, was incarnate and walked this earth. Witnessed by many, He performed many miracles and left many signs. He established a Church and the Church still stands. He commanded the Church to Teach His Commandments and the Church still does so. This is what is called Sacred Tradition and it is taught by word and by Scripture.

You’re right. No comparison.

As the story goes, an angel appeared to Mohammed and dictated the Quran. But Mohammed didn’t put pen to paper. He, in turn, dictated it to his 40 secretaries. Those 40 received different chapters. But sometimes, Mohammed corrected his chapters and dictated them to the wrong secretary. By the time of his death, the Quran was in shambles. When the 40 secretaries tried to sort it out, they couldn’t make heads or tails of it. So, a fellow named Uthman stepped in. He had 39 of the Qurans burned and put his version in their place.

There’s no way to confirm that:

1. Mohammed actually spoke to an angel. He’s the only purported witness.
  2. the Quran in use today is actually the one Mohammed dictated.

So true. Muhammed performed no miracles. At the time, it was customary for a prophet to be asked to perform miracles to demonstrate authenticity. Of course, Muhammed always had a revelation from Allah that he did not need to perform a miracle (what are the odds).

Muḥammad also severely doubted his original revelations early on and was only reassured by his wife at the time, Khadija. He also turned very angry towards Jews and Christians later in his life. He originally preached peace to them; however, once they rejected his message, he turned very violent on them.

There is no way to confirm that:

The angel spoke to the virgin Mary. She was the only witness. Same for the transfiguration. Oh, and no witnesses at all climbed to the resurrection.

There is no way to confirm that the New Testament writings are actually the ones first written down. (And lots of reasons to believe they are not)

Muslims believe that Jesus had previously revealed the Koran that Muhammed received; however, the early apolstles corrupted it for their own gain (money). I was always puzzled at this claim as it would take a world-wide effort by the apostles, Paul, and the early church to cover this up and there is never any mention of Koranic teachings before the time of Muhammed. Never once do we hear of this claim that some of the apostles were sticking to the truth revealed by Allah and some were these “Christians” trying to corrupt it for material gain. It doesn’t make sense. Plus, the apostles and early church saints died horrible painful deaths for a coverup? It’s not human nature to be torn apart by lions or burned to death to simply cover something up. The Islamic logic does not add up; however, you’ll never be able to make inroads in a Muslim dialogue because Muslims will never question what Allah revealed.

Are you making the claim that the Koran came before the New Testament? I would disagree with this

Actually, you have that exactly backwards. There are lots of ways to confirm that the New Testament writings are actually the ones first written down. (And very few if any to believe they are not.)

Here are a few of the many ways to know they were reliable and written early.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit