The Quran and Jesus’ Crucifixion

Could you point a verse in Gospel which declare that clearly?

He said the Bible, not a verse or the Gospels, which are parts of the Bible. To know the message of the Bible, one has to study the Bible, the whole of it, not just some cherry picking of the verses which can bring about misleading understanding, as a verse picked in isolation will not properly explain the Bible.

The Bible is appropriately explained by the Magisterium of the Church, which produced it.

John 20:28 Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

John 8:58 is an appropriate one as well.

“Before Abraham was, I AM”

I AM is the answer that Moses received from God + when Moses asked who He was. For Jesus + to say that He was I AM would be blasphemous unless of course He was God + (which He was and still is and always will be).

When evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and he was alone on the land. When he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning, walking on the sea. He intended to pass them by. But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.” Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded,… (Mark 6:45-52)

Jesus doesn’t just perform a miracle by walking on water, but performs it in the context of taking the divine name (I AM) as his own name.

The wind has come up on the Sea of Galilee and the disciples in the boat are making little progress. At about the fourth watch of the night – in the middle of the night – it is dark, the sea is windy – Jesus comes to them walking on the sea. He meant to “pass them by,” but when they saw him, they thought it was a ghost. He spoke to them. “Take heart, it is I. (ego eimi. Ancient Greek: ἐγώ εἰμί [èɡɔ̌ː èːmí])”

The context here is very important.

1. Jesus is walking on the sea. He is performing a miracle of power over the sea that we have not seen before. Moses parted the waters of the sea so the Israelites could walk dry shod on the ground. It is entirely another thing to walk on the water itself.

2. When the disciples see him, they think he is a ghost. He says, “ἐγώ εἰμί.” How is ἐγώ εἰμί translated? Literally, the words mean “I am.” What is it that determines the meaning? Context. The question is whether it should be translated “It is I” or “I am.” Is there something deeper going here?

What we appear to have here is a theophany, the most famous of which is when the Lord reveals his name to Moses in Exodus 3 . Where does “I AM” (ego eimi: ἐγώ εἰμί) come from? It comes from the most famous theophany of the Old Testament. I AM (the same Greek ἐγώ εἰμί) is the name of God that was revealed to Moses in the most famous theophany of all on Mount Sinai.

So what is Jesus doing here if you put his words in context? He is alluding to the theophany on Mount Sinai. This is even admitted by scholars who don’t think Jesus claimed to be divine, but are just commenting on the Markan text.

When God reveals his name as I AM, it signifies that he is eternal. He doesn’t have a beginning or end, a past or present but just is. He is the one who simply is. As Thomas Aquinas would say later, God is Being Itself. That is what I AM (ego eimi [ἐγώ εἰμί]) reveals to us. He is not “a being,” but BEING ITSELF.

In Job 9, God is the one who removes the mountains, shakes the earth out of its place, God alone who commands the Sun and it does not rise, who seals the stars, who alone stretched out the heavens AND trampled the waves of the sea.

Then Job answered:

“Indeed I know that this is so; but how can a mortal be just before God? If one wished to contend with him, one could not answer him once in a thousand. He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength—who has resisted him, and succeeded?—he who removes mountains, and they do not know it, when he overturns them in his anger; who shakes the earth out of its place, and its pillars tremble; who commands the sun, and it does not rise; who seals up the stars; who alone stretched out the heavens and trampled the waves of the Sea; (Job 9:1-8)

In the Greek version it says, “God alone walks on the sea as if it is dry ground."

So God, according to Job, ALONE walks on the sea in the Old Testament and in verse 11 Job says "Look, he passes me by, and I do not see him; he moves on, but I do not perceive him.”

What does Mark say about Jesus?

He intended to pass them by.

That is the language of theophany. When God revealed his identity to Moses, what did he do? He passes by. When he revealed his identity to Elijah what did he do? He passes by. When he revealed his identity to Job, what did he do? He passes by AND he tramples on the waves of the sea.

What a coincidence! That Jesus does what ONLY God does in the Old Testament at the same time as he takes God’s name I AM.

Well, maybe a coincidence and maybe not. Maybe what this is another theophany. Maybe the reason there is all this language of theophany in Mark is because it is a theophany – God revealing himself.

Moses said to the Lord, “See, you have said to me, ‘Bring up this people’; but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight.’ Now if I have found favor in your sight, show me your ways, so that I may know you and find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.” He said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”And he said to him, “If your presence will not go, do not carry us up from here. For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people, unless you go with us? In this way, we shall be distinct, I and your people, from every people on the face of the earth.”
The Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing that you have asked; for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” Moses said, “Show me your glory, I pray.” And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you the name, ‘The Lord’; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face; for no one shall see me and live.” And the Lord continued, “See, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock; and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen.” (Exodus 33:12-23)

The allusions in Mark 6 to Old Testament theophanies is because this isn’t just a miracle, it is a revelation of God himself to man, a theophany by which Christ is revealing his divine identity to the disciples by means of a miracle – walking on water – that in the Scriptures, at least, would be only something that God could do. More importantly, in the context of the miracle, Jesus takes God’s name as his own.

That is really important. If he is taking the divine name, then he can’t be just a prophet and he can’t just be a messiah. He is also claiming to be YAHWEH himself come in person.

Give one occasion where an angel or a king or anyone else takes I AM (ego eimi [ἐγώ εἰμί]) as their name in the context of performing a miracle. In Hebrew culture your name signifies WHO YOU ARE. So by taking the divine name to himself – I AM – Jesus is making a divine claim. He is not just saying “I have the power of God," he is saying, “I AM.”

What did the disciples do after Jesus got into the boat? They worshiped him. Why?

And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matt 14:29-33)

That seems as if Thomas was surprised to see Jesus alive. Yet Jesus did not say that " I am an incarnation God"

He was. Nonetheless, he finally understood. And Jesus did not deny nor correct him. Nor did anyone else.

You also should remember the Jews were going to stone Jesus for saying He was the Son of God.

Ofcourse Bible and Christianity was conveyed and progressed through Chuch. But the point Christians should take care is that establishing faith(a new one!) without revelation could not be authentic. You can say that Holy Spirit guided and revealed new doctrines but unfortunately that assert is not valid and cannot be proved. Revelation must be consistent by itself which started with Adam and went on through other prophets include Moses and Jesus and Muhammad. Gospels though were narrated by people after Jesus are proportional with Quran. The doctrines which were established more later are not!

The Gospels were written by people with either personal experience of Our Lord or interviewing people who did. Authentic revelation. Quran was a later mishmash of heresies and personal interpretation. I notice that you ignore my posts. I wonder why…:wink:

But it is not clear that Thomas called Jesus as God. Jesus Himself declared that He was just a prophet:

6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house. Mark

Thomas did. " My Lord AND my God! " Notice that Jesus didn’t correct him.

So we should think that Jesus was god not important Jesus did not say that by His mouth?

Did Thomas wonder Jesus was alive or Jesus was God? Why Thomas did not call Jesus My Lord in other times? It was an extraordinary case that Jesus were alive because all people thought Jesus were crucified. Thomas was so surprised to see Jesus alive and Thomas said that words because he was confused. In that case there is no any relation about divinity of Jesus. If Thomas had thought that Jesus was God but that case would not confuse Thomas because God do not die! And nobody can harm a god!

Jesus Himself answered that! .

10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
10:30 I and my Father are one.
10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? John

It is absolutely clear to all those who understand the Word of God and have no predetermined agenda to deny the Divinity of Christ.

You misunderstand this verse. Jesus is not saying, “I am not the Son of God”. He is saying, “If you can be called sons of God, how much more I am who came from heaven.”

Jesus did die on the Cross and there were many witnesses to that. You seem to take it as Gospel that there were witnesses to Muhammad; but not to the Crucifixion? If Jesus was merely a prophet; why wouldn’t He immediately correct Thomas about Him only being a prophet; not God? And your quoting the Psalmist only proves my point. Jesus said He came from heaven. Only God could come from heaven. As for a God dying on the Cross: Are you saying God couldn’t do anything He wanted to in order save those He loves? Your defense of the erroneous Quranic assertions is weak and confused.

I’ve been away for months. Looks again a Muslim here continues the ploy of stopping wherever he wants when the spoken words of Jesus don’t end at John 10::36…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit