The Raccolta - A request

Hey all,

first post here.

A little about me. I enjoy fixing things. Traditional Catholic with a steadily growing clan of children. I enjoy reading. Mix the 3 together and you’re soon trying to fix books.

I figured that the liturgy and sacraments forum would be the appropriate forum to post this on. If I’m wrong, I apologise in advance.

I have a project that I haven’t been able to fix (yet). It’s a 1951 copy of “the Raccolta - Official edition” which I am in the process of repairing. The previous owners dog liked the book better than they did. It has teeth marks thru the first 12 pages of the book and a couple pages with a third of the page torn off. The cover was toast. Luckily ebay had damaged books for cheap.

Here’s a link to the google scan books.google.com/books?id=aJHKTdv3gncC&pg=PR5&dq=the+raccolta+1951&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_Eo6U6GAN8PNsQTa9oHgBw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=the%20raccolta%201951&f=false
This is the exact copy that I have.

If you notice, the first 12 pages of the google book are greyed out and unavailable.

So far, I’ve taken the cover off, and carefully cut the thread holding the first 12 pages from the front of the book and scanned them. (Missing chunks and all.)

What I’d like to do is get some scans of those missing pages. I have a freeware program called GIMP, which is like a poor mans version of photoshop. If I can get some donor scans, I can cut and paste the missing text onto my damaged page scans, adjust the contrast/color/brightness, reprint them, and re-sew them back into the book.

Any members with this year/copy available to help scan me a couple pages?
Most every Catholic I used to know had libraries of books and were well read, but most have died off as I got older. Who knows where their books are now?

If I can figure out how to post pics on the forum, I’ll do a little tutorial to share my progress on the repair. It’s fun to fix stuff and learn!

Are you not aware that you can buy a new copy of the Raccolta from Leaflet Missal? It would probably be less expensive in the long run too :slight_smile:

Go to Amazon to Thrift books and buy one for cheap-cheap!

The dog bit your pages sounds like the dog ate your homework! :smiley: Asking for others to scan the torn pages into their computers so you can cut and paste sounds a little tricky to me. They are copyrighted, so is there an infringement? Check with your lawyer about it.

I just looked through my copy and guess what? I found no copyright marks in the book. It is published by Loreto Publications and is a reprint of the edition originally printed by Benziger who had the necessary permissions to publish. Interesting. The text contains no copyright marks, only a permission issued by the Holy See to Benziger. I guess you could contact the Publisher and see how many pages or portions of pages you’re allowed to get scanned an share over the Internet before you’re in trouble. That might be smart.

Glenda

AndrewSTX

I’m trying to fix what I have, and get some practice repairing books. I wouldn’t get that experience by buying new books.

If I’m unsuccessful finding the missing pages, I’m still intending on recasing it and using it.

GlendaB

Yes, it appears either a dog attacked the book, or a child with a sharp object.

I’m needing scanned pages to cut and paste pieces back into the originals which are missing chunks of paper. I’m not printing out an entire book. I am using a photo program to repair my original sheets on the computer, vs. actually gluing them back together.

Since the raccolta has officially been replaced with the enchiridion, the permission to copy and print out 12 pages from the publisher seems like a moot point.

Thanks.

Agree.

I just fixed the missing pages with the photo edit software. Enough searching online and I found enough information to cut, paste, and fix the missing ripped out text.

If you’re wondering about the legality of it, as long as you own the book, there is nothing wrong with printing out pages to replace missing or torn pages from scanned books.

Libraries do this as part of their book restoration and maintenance when a member destroys the pages beyond standard repairs.

Thank for reading.

Andy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.