The Rapture (is it even mentioned in the bible?)

I know that the RAPTURE is a protestant thing about the end times.

I guess my question is that is the Rapture mentioned in the Bible?
and where do I find scriptures regarding this subject.

[quote=mario_p]I know that the RAPTURE is a protestant thing about the end times.

I guess my question is that is the Rapture mentioned in the Bible?
and where do I find scriptures regarding this subject.
[/quote]

There is a rapture-like event mentioned in 1 Thess 4:16 (4:17 in Protestant Bibles):

Then we who are alive, who are left, shall be taken up together with them in the clouds to meet Christ, into the air, and so shall we be always with the Lord.

Note I use the phrase “rapture-like event” and not “The Rapture.” I believe in the former, but not the latter.

-C

The only place it is mentioned explicitly is in 1 Thessalonians 4:17. The Rapturists have built a whole erroneous theology around this one verse. For more info, see the Catholic Answers tract, “The Rapture” available here:

catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

[quote=Calvin]There is a rapture-like event mentioned in 1 Thess 4:16 (1 Thess 4:17 in Protestant Bibles):

Then we who are alive, who are left, shall be taken up together with them in the clouds to meet Christ, into the air, and so shall we be always with the Lord.

Note I use the phrase “rapture-like event” and not “The Rapture.” I believe in the former, but not the latter.

-C
[/quote]

The word rapture in protestant use comes from the Latin word raptura which means “to be caught up.” While there is nothing wrong with the word, the general teaching in popular rapture theology like The Left Behind Series is seriously flawed.

The Church teaches about a “Rapture” like at the end of times, but it is as triumphant God, namely Jesus, returns from the clouds, as He ascended. As Jesus descends, we’ll be raptured up and descend with him… a different kind of Rapture that a lot, not all, protestent believe in. There is no escape of the end times tribulations for believers…

Let our Lord Jesus come…:thumbsup:

I would look for backup between CCC and Bible, but it is late, and should go to bed…

In His loving peace,
Luigi

“The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen is a great defense against any Protestants who try to “prove” that there will be a rapture. And no, the Bible speaks nothing of a specific rapture.

Look at all of the 1 thess 4…there is talk of a shout and sound of a trumpet. That cannot be a sudden, secret rapture (we will hear it coming). They also cite the time Jesus mentioned that one would be taken and one left (not left behind). He stated that first, it would be as in the days of Noah ( the rightous were left), and second, that those taken would be where the eagles were (eagles held the same connotation as vultures do to us: carrion eaters). There is no Biblical reason to beleive in the rapture as taught by Left Behind

Briefly, the Rapture was invented by John Nelson Darby in 1827. No Christian, Catholic or Protestant, had ever before proposed or taught about such an event. At the same time, Darby invented “dispensationalism.”

JMJ Jay

The Church doesn’t speak fallibly about the Rapture that the scripture speaks about…I just flipped through the CCC. But the Written Word of God is clear that the Rapture isn’t the secret rapture people invented…it just doesn’t work with Holy Scriptures and the deposit of faith. If we look at Mathew 24:30-31 “And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory, And He will send out His angels with a trumpet blast, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.” Jesus direct words from the Written Word of God…

Key is to look at the whole picture. Jesus came once and will come again in Glory…to judge the living and the dead. a trumpet call is by no means a secret rapture, and as “the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven” He will “send out His angels with a trumpet blast” Ok, He is descending in Glory on a cloud as He ascended and there is a trumpet blast and “His angels…will gather His elect from the four winds” sounds like a rapture, bringing His elect up with Him as He descends to judge the living and the dead. This matches with what St. Paul speaks about in Thessalonians 4:13-18. His elect the risen dead first and the remainder elect one which are alive on earth who are “left” on earth will be caught up (he uses trumpet as Jesus comes down in Glory)…St. Paul would admonish people if they misused his writings that way…St. Peter talks about misusing St. Paul’s writings as well.

I just don’t understand how some truth seekers who rely on the Holy Scriptures alone as authority can misunderstand and misuse the written Word of God…but then, at the same time, it doesn’t surprise me at all.

In His loving peace…now I am really going to bed…is there therapy for Forums??? (I have read much more then posted, it is still a problem…)

Your brother in the Lord,
Luigi

[quote=Andrew Larkoski]“The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen is a great defense against any Protestants who try to “prove” that there will be a rapture. And no, the Bible speaks nothing of a specific rapture.
[/quote]

“The Truth Behind Left Behind” by Mark Hitchcock and Thomas Ice is a great defense for those that believe in a rapture. And yes, the Bible speaks much about it: John 14:1-3, Romans 8:19, Corinthians 1:7-8; 15:51-53, Philippians 3:20-21;4:5, Colossians 3:4, 1 Thessalonians 1:10;2:19;4:13-18, 2 Thessalonians 2:1,3, Revelation 2:15;3:10, etc. You get my point. True, the word “Rapture” is not found specifically in the Bible, but neither is the word “Trinity”.

[quote=Katholikos]Briefly, the Rapture was invented by John Nelson Darby in 1827. No Christian, Catholic or Protestant, had ever before proposed or taught about such an event. At the same time, Darby invented “dispensationalism.”

JMJ Jay
[/quote]

Good Day, Katholikos

Would you be so kind as to share your understanding of the Didache:

Chapter 16. Watchfulness; the Coming of the Lord. Watch for your life’s sake. Let not your lamps be quenched, nor your loins unloosed; but be ready, for you know not the hour in which our Lord will come. But come together often, seeking the things which are befitting to your souls: for the whole time of your faith will not profit you, if you are not made perfect in the last time. For in the last days false prophets and corrupters shall be multiplied, and the sheep shall be turned into wolves, and love shall be turned into hate; for when lawlessness increases, they shall hate and persecute and betray one another, and then shall appear the world-deceiver as Son of God, and shall do signs and wonders, and the earth shall be delivered into his hands, and he shall do iniquitous things which have never yet come to pass since the beginning. Then shall the creation of men come into the fire of trial, and many shall be made to stumble and shall perish; but those who endure in their faith shall be saved from under the curse itself.** And then shall appear the signs of the truth: first, the sign of an outspreading in heaven, then the sign of the sound of the trumpet. And third, the resurrection of the dead – yet not of all, but as it is said: “The Lord shall come and all His saints with Him.” Then shall the world see the Lord coming upon the clouds of heaven. **

Peace to u,

Bill

In charity, let’s all come to an agreement that there is a difference between

1. a private Rapture and a public Rapture.

2. Between a Rapture and then time spent on earth and then the coming of the Lord as opposed to a Rapture at Jesus’ second coming as He descends in His Glory

As catholics we can think that a rapture is possible, but it needs to make sense in the light of the Church’s Tradition (with a capital T) and it cannot go against scripture.

So, the rapture as the “left behind series” NO, we are not allowed to think of it in that term, it is a bad thing when people think this might happen.

A rapture as the didache mentions, as the Scriptures mentions and as other scholars have mentioned (the ones that don’t go against the truth we know we have)

In His Love,
Luigi

P.S. it is very common in history, that when a triumphant king/ruler/person would come into a town, that his people would go meet him before hand and join him in his coming…The Lord is beautiful!

There may in fact be a “rapture.” ON THE LAST DAY. no multiple raptures. Nothing pre- or mid trib…on the last day.

As far as the “left behind” drool being spilled. Look at scripture. Being left behind is what happens to the Good Guys. As in the days of Noah…who was left behind? Noah and his family. The rest were taken.

My wife has the entire Left Behind series. She has not read one book from it so far since she began buying them several years ago. Her fellow protestants praised the series. When she started learning about the anti-Catholic hatred in the series and the false man made theology she decided to wait to read it, and wait, and wait,…

Anyway, we have all the books in mint condition. I may read them someday when I have more time to see firsthand what they are like.

[quote=Malachi4U]My wife has the entire Left Behind series. She has not read one book from it so far since she began buying them several years ago. Her fellow protestants praised the series. When she started learning about the anti-Catholic hatred in the series and the false man made theology she decided to wait to read it, and wait, and wait,…

Anyway, we have all the books in mint condition. I may read them someday when I have more time to see firsthand what they are like.
[/quote]

I forced myself to read the first book just so I could intelligently discuss it. Believe me, it was a work of sacrifice just to get through it. I didn’t bother to waste my time reading any of the others. I suggest your wife sell her collection and use the proceeds to purchase and read *Will Catholics Be Left Behind?, * by Carl Olsen. Here’s his web-site:

carl-olson.com/wcblb_home.html

[quote=mario_p]I know that the RAPTURE is a protestant thing about the end times. I guess my question is that is the Rapture mentioned in the Bible? and where do I find scriptures regarding this subject.
[/quote]

The doctrine regarding the the future rapture of all true believers is not a “Protestant” thing, otherwise ALL Protestants would believe the doctrine. It is a Biblical doctrine based on a consistent, literal interpretation of Scripture. The most specific passage, as others have mentioned, is 1 Thess. 4:15-18. First those who have died believing in Christ are bodily resurrected, then those who are physically alive at the time are translated, and both caught up to meet the Lord in the air.

In 1 Cor. 15:51-52 Paul tells us of a mystery, that we (true believers) will not all sleep (i.e.,die), but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. The dead are raised imperishable, and we (referring to those who don’t see death) shall be changed.

This is all in reference to Christ saying to those who are His that He goes to prepare a place for us, and He will come again and recieve us to Himself that where He is we may be also (Jn. 14:3. It is an answer to His High Priestly prayer in Jn. 17:24.

Also in Phil. 3:20-21, Paul speficially states that Jesus Christ, for whom we wait, will change this humble body (not dead body, in context he is not referring to those who died) into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of His power.

The truth is, according to God’s Word, *“we shall not all sleep” *but one generation of true believers will be caught up alive to meet the Lord in the air.

[quote=Kinsman]The doctrine regarding the the future rapture of all true believers is not a “Protestant” thing, otherwise ALL Protestants would believe the doctrine. It is a Biblical doctrine based on a consistent, literal interpretation of Scripture. The most specific passage, as others have mentioned, is 1 Thess. 4:15-18. First those who have died believing in Christ are bodily resurrected, then those who are physically alive at the time are translated, and both caught up to meet the Lord in the air.

In 1 Cor. 15:51-52 Paul tells us of a mystery, that we (true believers) will not all sleep (i.e.,die), but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. The dead are raised imperishable, and we (referring to those who don’t see death) shall be changed.

This is all in reference to Christ saying to those who are His that He goes to prepare a place for us, and He will come again and recieve us to Himself that where He is we may be also (Jn. 14:3. It is an answer to His High Priestly prayer in Jn. 17:24.

Also in Phil. 3:20-21, Paul speficially states that Jesus Christ, for whom we wait, will change this humble body (not dead body, in context he is not referring to those who died) into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of His power.

The truth is, according to God’s Word, *“we shall not all *sleep” but one generation of true believers will be caught up alive to meet the Lord in the air.
[/quote]

What you write is true, and the Church doesn’t teach contrary to this, but the problem is the term “Rapture” by itself. In these last few generations, and especially now, the term has been corrupted. You will get some catholics to be totally against the term “Rapture” because of its current implications of a private Rapture. The problem lies in the teaching of the “Rapture” weather it is consistent with the written Word of God and the Word of God that was passed on orally that we are supposed to keep intact as well.
So the Rapture isn’t a protestant thing per se, but the more recent teaching of the Rapture is. (By the way, I am using the word “protestant” loosely here)

As Jesus returns in His Glory descending as He ascended, will, in a public and continuous sense, rapture His Elect, first the dead, and then those who are still alive on earth at His return, and ALL will come down and judge the living and the dead. This is worth our “…wait in joyful hope for the coming of the Lord…”

Amen, Come Lord Jesus, Come!!!

Your brother in the Lord,
Luigi

[quote=Malachi4U]My wife has the entire Left Behind series. She has not read one book from it so far since she began buying them several years ago. Her fellow protestants praised the series. When she started learning about the anti-Catholic hatred in the series and the false man made theology she decided to wait to read it, and wait, and wait,…

[/quote]

I am in the process in reading the last book in the series - The Glorious Appearing! I, personnaly, agree that the theology is seriously flawed and there is a smattering of anti-Catholicism in the beginning but for the most part it is pure Protestant teaching - salvation by faith alone - which is also seriously flawed!
As long as you understand this - read the books. They are exciting reading and great fiction! I’ve enjoyed reading them.

The rapture is term (not in the Bible) invented by some reformers in the late 19th century… there are scriptures in Revalation that with a beer or two in you, you could probably make a case for Rapture… but no serious theologian buys it…

There’s also a parable and I can’ find at this moment that makes a case for Rapture if you need it to fit…

My biggest problem with Rapture is this big battle that Christ is supposed to have with the Devil… It doesn’t wash… God will wash him into hell with a thought, there’s no need for any gathering in the field of the forces of good and evil… that battle is being waged right now…

when the trumpet blows, and Jesus returns the judgment will be made… i really don’t think you need to worry about left behind and all that wash…

Get yourself ready now, and you won’t have to worry later… keep fighting the good fight and running the good race… Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul… Love your neighbor as yourself… the rest is gravy… :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote=space ghost]The rapture is term (not in the Bible) invented by some reformers in the late 19th century… there are scriptures in Revalation that with a beer or two in you, you could probably make a case for Rapture… but no serious theologian buys it…

There’s also a parable and I can’ find at this moment that makes a case for Rapture if you need it to fit…

My biggest problem with Rapture is this big battle that Christ is supposed to have with the Devil… It doesn’t wash… God will wash him into hell with a thought, there’s no need for any gathering in the field of the forces of good and evil… that battle is being waged right now…

when the trumpet blows, and Jesus returns the judgment will be made… i really don’t think you need to worry about left behind and all that wash…

Get yourself ready now, and you won’t have to worry later… keep fighting the good fight and running the good race… Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul… Love your neighbor as yourself… the rest is gravy… :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I just lost all that I wrote, I will try to write what I remember…

There are a lot of posted threads that speak about the gathering the elects, after the “public blowing of the trumpet” by His angels.

What spaceghost writes is partially true, but the notion of “rapture” is found in the bible…the latin word means “caught” and St. Paul uses this word in Thessalonians 4. But beside the point, it isn’t against Church teaching, nor the Bible to believe in a rapture. The problem lies in believing the rapture as it was defined, or taught, in the 19th century 'til today. The “Left Behind Series” shows the fallacy, and it is contrary to the Teaching of the Church and Holy Scriptures. To believe something like the series may happen is a devious thing. The main problem is even the title…Left Behind. God isn’t leaving anybody behind, in our human history(from OT), anyone left behind was always a good person. The bad, or unworthy, were always taken. The other problem, is that the tribulations happen after the rapture nonsense. All faithful that will be alive during the tribulation will not be spared the tribulations, we are to be the light to the nations. Also, if people are caught up, or raptured, it implies that Jesus comes, but doesn’t judge the living and the dead. It means that Jesus is supposed to come a third time, and this is just a lie of the devil to confuse some people during the times of the Antichrist. (most of this last part is my own belief, nothing to back it) It is also heresy (the third coming).

So what SpaceGhost writes is true…“keep fighting the good fight and running the good race… Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul… Love your neighbor as yourself…”

The result is: beatific vision…:bowdown:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.