The Rapture

I was listening to Father Paul and he was antagonizing the “Rapture” therory saying that it was unscriptural. Other than it was somthing about the end times I have no idea about what the rapture is. What is the Rapture? Is it as bad as Father Paul said it is? If so how did people get this Idea? If someone comes to me trying to prove it what should I tell them about the scriptures they bring up trying to prove it? And what should I give them (Dogma and scripture proof) to replace it? Thanks and God Bless.

See The Rapture by Catholic Answers:
catholic.com/library/rapture.asp

Keep the Faith
jmt

The rapture is simply the raising of the dead and the living into the heavens for the final judgment at the end of time, at the second coming of Christ. It comes at the end of the world. No thousand year reign. Just a final general judgment.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was listening to Father Paul and he was antagonizing the “Rapture” therory saying that it was unscriptural. Other than it was somthing about the end times I have no idea about what the rapture is. What is the Rapture? Is it as bad as Father Paul said it is? If so how did people get this Idea? If someone comes to me trying to prove it what should I tell them about the scriptures they bring up trying to prove it? And what should I give them (Dogma and scripture proof) to replace it? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Montie, either this is a huge coincidence, or you and I attended the same Mass this morning! Father Paul in my parish spoke this morning about the errors of the Rapture and the Left Behind series of books. There is an insert in the bulletin regarding these erroneous beliefs. I don’t have the bulletin with me (I left it in the car), but I will take a look later and see if there is something helpful for you there.

[quote=juno24]Montie, either this is a huge coincidence, or you and I attended the same Mass this morning! Father Paul in my parish spoke this morning about the errors of the Rapture and the Left Behind series of books. There is an insert in the bulletin regarding these erroneous beliefs. I don’t have the bulletin with me (I left it in the car), but I will take a look later and see if there is something helpful for you there.
[/quote]

“The Rapture” was probably spoken of in a lot of parishes, as the second reading in today’s Mass is often used by those who subscribe to that theory. The reading does speak of the Parousia, but the Catholic understanding of that event is different than that put forth by the “Left Behind” series. That theory (a very recent one) has the Tribulation coming after the good people are all snatched up, and then, after the Tribulation, Jesus comes again (the Third Coming!) for the final judgement.

[quote=Sherlock]“The Rapture” was probably spoken of in a lot of parishes, as the second reading in today’s Mass is often used by those who subscribe to that theory. The reading does speak of the Parousia, but the Catholic understanding of that event is different than that put forth by the “Left Behind” series. That theory (a very recent one) has the Tribulation coming after the good people are all snatched up, and then, after the Tribulation, Jesus comes again (the Third Coming!) for the final judgement.
[/quote]

I know. My comment about it being a coincidence was in reference to Montie Claunch listening to Father Paul (which is also the name of my priest) speaking against the Protestant idea of the Rapture, as it is understood by Tim LaHaye, et al.
It is always good to distinguish between what the Church teaches about the Second Coming, as opposed to the relatively recent Rapture doctrine as taught by pre-millenialist protestants, however. So thank you for making the distinction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.