The Rapture

Lately I’m hearing a lot of Protestants talk about the rapture, I’m kind of wondering what exactly the Church teaches about it. I don’t think we believe in it, however I’m not quite sure. Please explain why we do or do not, being a former Protestant I’m not exactly sure how to approach the issue…it seems, like many things pushed by fundamentalist groups, to have merit, but does it really???

There is lots of Rapture reading right here on this website:

catholic.com/search/content/rapture

You are correct, this is not Church teaching.

The teaching of Rapture began around 1800 in Evangelical Protestant circles and forms no part of the “deposit of faith.”

ICXC NIKA

I also have a blog article that might help you somewhat. The Rapture?

I deal with this in my family and I just state that rapture basically means we’re going to be caught up to Jesus when He returns for us. I know that they carry other meanings with it but I’ve found it’s just best to share the definition. We’ve had discussions which are good but, of course, everyone understands it in a relatively different way…

Blessings, all!

Rita

Once you depart from true Christian doctrine, you start looking around for a “Get Out Of Purgatory Free” card. It seems that this doctrine has its ancient genesis in those about whom Saint Peter wrote in his second letter.

2 Peter 3:3-4, 9

Knowing this first, that in the last days there shall come deceitful scoffers, walking after their own lusts, Saying: Where is his promise or his coming? for since the time that the fathers slept, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation…The Lord delayeth not his promise, as some imagine, but dealeth patiently for your sake, not willing that any should perish, but that all should return to penance.

The rapture will happen, the Church teaches it, the bible supports it…it will be at the end of times, not pre-tribulation…and Jesus only comes again once…not again and again as proposed by Protestants subscribing to Disponsationalism Ala Darby.

Rather, this is the Parousia.

Long story short, the protestant understanding is faulty. Those who are “taken” are actually the bad guys…the goats. The sheep are left on earth and must persevere until the end.

Polar opposite of what you will hear nightly on TBN

LOL, I like that, however doesn’t St. Therese (little flower) teach that purgatory is not the rule, but the exception? I thought it was her that started teaching that the more we trust in God the less chance of us visiting purgatory? Please correct me if I’m wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

Anyway, I tend to agree more with you, there does seem to be some statements in scripture which taken completely by themselves may suggest the rapture but I think the mind sees what it wants to see in a lot of cases. Who was that 16th century “prophet” who has “seen” everything from his time till ours if you just find the correct prophecy and apply it very generously to any number of events in the last 500 years???

Well thanks for helping me out with this, take care, God Bless!

-Read about Our Lady of Good Success!!!

I think that Saint Therese and her views on a limited purgation process relied heavily on finding joy in suffering in this life. Thus, the cleansing (Rev. 21:27) can be accomplished here on earth, purifying the soul and rendering it acceptable to God. There is a Saint Therese Novena booklet produced by TAN Books and Publishers which is entitled “Joy in Suffering.”

The Dispensationists think that every “true believer” and their dog will get raptured but Jesus can’t do that for His mother. :shrug:

I remember when I first heard of the “rapture” many years ago from a protestant friend who started talking about it and after going on for awhile about it, I was like, “what’s the rapture?” She looked at me like I had three heads. I thought I had missed some essential teaching of Christianity the first seventeen years of my life. The rapture is not part of Catholic theology.

Haha, that’s a very good point! Never thought of it that way before!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.