The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist is a belief not limited to the Roman Catholic Church. It is a fact of history that every church founded by one apostle or another believes in the Real Presence, even if they’re not in union with Rome.
In addition to Roman Catholicism (founded by Peter and Paul), the following Apostolic churches hold that Christ is really present in the Eucharist:
– The church in Iberia (Spain), founded by James the Greater.
– The church in Jerusalem, whose first bishop was James the Lesser.
– The Coptic Church in Egypt, founded by St. Mark
– The Assyrian Church of the East (predecessor to the Chaldean Church), founded by St. Thomas
– The Greek Orthodox Church, founded by Paul
– The Antiochian Orthodox Church, founded by Peter
– The Syrian, Georgian & Byzantine Churches, founded by St. Andrew
– The Armenian Orthodox Church, founded by Jude and Bartholomew
– The Syro-Malabar Church in India, founded by St. Thomas
That’s 9 different Apostolic churches founded by different Apostles, spread out over thousands of miles, and they all believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, a highly ritual form of worship centered on Christ’s sacrifice re-presented, and an ordained priesthood. There’s no record of any of these churches teaching that the Eucharist is just a symbol. There’s no record of the Real Presence spreading from one community to another. There’s no dissension or disagreement among these Churches on the Real Presence. There’s no record of any council called to debate the Real Presence.
Isn’t this as close to proof as you can get that the Apostles taught the doctrine of the Real Presence to the first Christian communities they established? After all, if the Apostles taught that the Eucharist is just a symbol, then all these Apostolic churches managed to plan and execute the most perfectly conceived change of doctrine in the history (or future) of all mankind! They managed to get every Apostolic church to believe the opposite of what the Apostles taught, and they all adopted that “heresy” immediately and concurrently, without so much as a whiff of someone crying foul!