The Real Presence - Would A Jewish Understanding Help?

As sort-of an off-shoot of the thread “The Case Against Transubstantiation”, the thought has run through my head that if our separated brethren had understood that Jesus was speaking mainly to the Jews, would it help them better understand what He was referring himself to as the Paschal Lamb? It seems time and time again, non-Catholics who argue against the Real Presence seem to only focus on the surface - IOW, the words of Scripture, without the fuller understanding that Christ was speaking in the context of the revelation of God as understood by the Jews at that time. This seem like a crucial element, not only in the understanding of the Eucharist and the Sacrifice of the Mass, but also in the atonement for our sins.

It is said that it wasn’t just Christ suffering, death, and resurrection that made it possible for us to have eternal life, but also the offering of God’s Son. It’s that offering that seems to complete the work Christ did for us on Earth. We have our Sacrifice, and we offer that Sacrifice to God.

What can we do, as people of faith, to help our non-Catholic brothers and sister see how this total and complete act of Christ is fully realized in the Eucharist as the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ? What scriptural and ECF writings can we refer to in an apologetic sense?

If I’m off-base in my understanding of this, please correct me. Otherwise, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless!

This line of thinking was very valuable in bringing me into the Church, with regard to the issues of baptism and faith-vs-works.

WGT the Passover, a light clicked on when I discovered that the Jews consider that at each Passover celebration one is to consider that they are mystically present at the original event - that in fact every Passover is the same one. But my thoughts haven’t developed much past that. I’m curious about where you’re going with this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.