The recent statement by the CDF approved by Pope Benedict XVI

The recent statement by the CDF approved by Pope Benedict XVI on the Catholic Church being the one true Church. I’m told is a new change back to the old stand of the Church prior to Vatican II. Really??

I found the following documents essentially saying the same thing:

Pope Boniface VIII

Papal Bull Unam Sanctam 1302

Pope Pius IX

On The Unity of the Church 1864

Pope Pius XII

**On the Mystical Body of Christ and Our Union in It with Christ - ***Mystici Corporis *June 29, 1943

Vatican II

**Dogmatic Constitution on the Church - ***Lumen Gentium *November. 21, 1964

**Decree on the Catholic Churches of the Eastern Rite - ***Orientalium Ecclesiarum *November 21, 1964

**Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World - ***Gaudium et Spes *December 7, 1965

**Decree on Ecumenism - ***Unitatis Redintegratio *November 1, 1964

**Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions - ***Nostra Aetate *October 28, 1965

Pope Paul VI

**Paths of the Church - ***Ecclesiam Suam *August 6, 1964

Pope John Paul II

Light of the East** -** *Orientale Lumen *May 2, 1995

**On Commitment to Ecumenism - ***Ut Unum Sint *May 25, 1995

Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

Some Aspects of the Church Understood as Communion May 28, 1992

Declaration In Defense of the Catholic Doctrine on the Church
**Against Certain Errors of the Present Day - ***Mysterium Ecclesiae *June 24, 1973

**On the Unicity and Salvific Universality of Jesus Christ and the Church - **Domium Iesus 2000

Secretariat for Promoting Christian Unity

**Directory on Ecumenism - ***Ad Totam Ecclesiam *May 14, 1967

Anyone have any additions?

Don’t forget Leo XIII’s Satis Cognitum (On the Unity of the Church) 1896 :slight_smile:

Just some thoughts…

I only have thoughts on this. I understand why the catholic church was claimed to be the one true church. I also believe this to be true. However, I have issues. I will never stray from the catholic church. I love her teachings and most importantly the eucharist. My issue is that we are christians, as other religions are. We are all followers of Jesus Christ (christians) teachings. Whether it is true or not does not get you into heaven any faster. Sometimes I think all religions focus on the wrong things. Religion is great for the foundation, but we need to be able to take that religion to a spiritual level and know God and have a real relationship with him.

But some Christians reject certain teachings of Jesus Christ and follow counterfeit teachings. This cannot be good for one’s salvation.

Whether it is true or not does not get you into heaven any faster. Sometimes I think all religions focus on the wrong things. Religion is great for the foundation, but we need to be able to take that religion to a spiritual level and know God and have a real relationship with him.

Generally, this is a good point. Yes, as St. Albert the Great said, we are not pagans who learn truth for its own sake, but rather to have communion with God. But this is why truth is so fundamentally important and why it is so integral to salvation. Jesus came to bear witness to the truth because only in truth can we love to the depths He calls us. To know and love God and to love our neighbor, the two things necessary for salvation, we have to know how God desires us to love Him and our neighbor. Truth is important because love is the greatest–and without truth, love is not what it should be. Truth is important to salvation because love is.

This is why evangelization and ecumenism (bringing separated Christians back to the fullness of truth and unity) are so fundamental to the Church’s mission.

The reason the Church needed to restate this was because other organizations or communities are claiming to be Christ’s Church. This of course is much different from other Baptized persons claiming to be Christians. Every validly Baptized person is a Christian and in some way because of that is united to the Catholic Church. Other Organizations or Communities of Christians cannot claim to be the Church or part of the Church of Christ.

This teaching is also in Leo XIII’s Praeclara Gratulationis Publicae (The Reunion of Christendom) 1894

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.