The Relationship between the (Roman) Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

I must say that I am confused about how this works…

So, apparently, both churches accept all of each other’s sacraments as valid, that is, in theory, a Catholic can receive communion from a orthodox liturgy (although in practice no), etc.

And the beliefs of the Catholic Church is equivalent to Orthodox Church’s.This includes worship texts, too.

A few weeks ago, there was a first installation of the Greek Bishop of Singapore, which the Roman Catholic Archbishop Nicholas Chia was present (I don’t think he was involved in the liturgy).

So perhaps the line between these two churches are really exaggerated?

I just want to understand… :blush:

I must say that I am confused about how this works…

So, apparently, both churches accept all of each other’s sacraments as valid, that is, in theory, a Catholic can receive communion from a orthodox liturgy (although in practice no), etc.

Concerning the Eucharist: Many Orthodox Christians do view the Roman Catholic Eucharist as the Body and Blood of Christ; others today would not subscribe to this. The answer is linked to whether one believes that Roman Catholicism is “with grace” or “devoid of grace.” Orthodox Christians are not permitted to receive Communion in non-Orthodox communities, including the Roman Catholic. To do so would imply a unity that in fact does not yet exist. Also it implies that we are “united” to the faith community from which we receive the Eucharist.

In brief, while Roman Catholicism sees Orthodoxy as a “sister church”, Orthodoxy sees herself as the fullness of the Church, not the “other half” of the Church, as implied in the notion of a “sister church.”

And the beliefs of the Catholic Church is equivalent to Orthodox Church’s.This includes worship texts, too.

There are teachings held by Catholics that the Orthodox view as Heretical. There are Western rite Orthodox Parishes that worship similarly to Roman Catholics, Anglicans, or Lutherans.

So perhaps the line between these two churches are really exaggerated?

Orthodox Christianity has not reached a consensus on the Balamand statement, in part because not all of the world’s Orthodox Churches participated in the gathering, and in part because controversy has risen over the “sister church” or “two lung” theory. While there are some Orthodox who would perhaps ascribe to these notions, it is my understanding that Orthodoxy is the Church, not half or part of it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t another “sticky point” the fact that if the East and West were to reunited, the East would either have to accept any councils that have taken place since 1054, or the West would have to disregard them?

The later.
There’s no way the Orthodox would accept those councils.

Edit: Those councils would be downgraded to General Western Councils. They would lose their “Ecumenical” status and the East wouln’t have to accept them.

Does the Roman Catholic Church really believe in the “sister Church” view? It suggests an equality between RCism and Orthodoxy that the RC Church does NOT accept, as you know.

To me, the “sister church” idea sounds more like an “ecumenical game ploy” that does not exist in RC ecclesial praxis.

If it did exist, would not the RC invite the EC Churches, founded on unionist principles Rome has now rejected for future ecclesial reunion, to rejoin their Mother Orthodox Churches? (I know that’s not going to happen for numerous reasons.)

If it did exist, why does the RC Church persist in trying to convert Orthodox (I’ve seen it myself and even argued with those promoting who told me . . . well, I won’t repeat it here).

Alex

Does the Roman Catholic Church really believe in the “sister Church” view? It suggests an equality between RCism and Orthodoxy that the RC Church does NOT accept, as you know.

To me, the “sister church” idea sounds more like an “ecumenical game ploy” that does not exist in RC ecclesial praxis.

If it did exist, would not the RC invite the EC Churches, founded on unionist principles Rome has now rejected for future ecclesial reunion, to rejoin their Mother Orthodox Churches? (I know that’s not going to happen for numerous reasons.)

If it did exist, why does the RC Church persist in trying to convert Orthodox (I’ve seen it myself and even argued with those promoting who told me . . . well, I won’t repeat it here).

Alex

I’m Anglican and I don’t quite understand how Rome is coming to this either. How can you view a Church you sister or equal when they reject the Papacy ,purgatory, the immaculate conception etc.? Its like saying these are dogmatic for Catholics but not dogmatic for Churches that are our equal. In order for them to be truly unified Rome has to reject these teachings as dogma or the Orthodox has to accept them. Either the Pope is the universal Bishop and infallible or he is not. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Unless Rome wants to adopt the Anglican branch theory. If the Orthodox do not have to believe it then why would the Roman Catholics have to believe it? We saw this with the Eastern rite Catholic Churches not being required to believe in Purgatory.

As you can see (even if I may not have the most accurate information) I am so confused about the relationship between RCC and EOC, lol.

A bit like a good assortment of pickled vegetables: sometimes sweet, sometimes bitter, but always with a trace of sour.

I’m not all that enthusiastic about re-union anymore. I see it as something to be desired, but not something that humans can resolve. Someone must budge, and the Holy Spirit alone knows who. I leave it to prayers.

PS:- The Orthodox can be sisters but not equal.

What do you mean in saying “The Orthodox can be sisters but not equal”?

To me “time” becomes of relevance, not so much the daily difference.

In my mind I can see the deal sealed already but I am only here this small finate moment. These churchs very well may decide to contemplate on this for who knows how long, especially depending on temporal rulers.

Seems to me in a period of mass communication we would move from perhaps horse delivery to internet. Apparently not so, however I see in the foward movement what is of issue and what isn’t of issue.

The world is still waiting for the Pope to define his role in the Universal Church which is where He left the dialogue in 2010. Seems to me since then his heath and age are now showing a bit.

I was hopeful that with his understanding of the Orthodox Church he would have moved foward a bit more. Truth is I just don’t see that in this Pontificate anymore.

The Church recognizes all their communions around individual bishops as true churches- Particular churches, in the sense that Catholic dioceses are true churches. But the communion that they have among themselves outside communion with the Bishop of Rome that we call “Eastern Orthodox” is most certainly not equal to the communion that has its unity around the Bishop of Rome- ie, Catholic Church. So they cannot be equal, but only in the same way that the SSPX are not equal, until they join themselves with the Pope.

That’s what I meant. I am not talking about their Spiritual heritage, faith, sacraments, Church life, or individual Christians or Saints not being equal or even superior in some instances, to their Western Counterparts.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.