The results of rejecting Catholic tradition

I am reading this book, and it is tough to digest. I never learned about this in school!! books.google.com/books/about/Rise_and_fall_of_the_Anabaptists.html?id=p3EaAAAAMAAJ

It is well-written. Approaches the social-class dynamics without fear (to the point that Google picks up insights on Marxism) . When the Bible was translated into the vernacular, many people ran with all sorts of personalized interpretations, particularly with the rejection of original sin.

It is peculiar that this public domain book in English is the only one available. There are a lot of other recent books in English available, probably because so many analogies can be drawn with the issue of Mormonism-- and their early practice of holding property in common, and polygamy. One wonders why the opposition to the Mormons at Nauvoo chose to not attack the town itself-- learning from the siege of Munster is the reason. Yet today’s Mormons are so bitter at the death of Joseph Smith, when it could have been so much worse.

Also helps us understand the Amish and Mennonite traditions, and how they learned so much from the violence of radical Anabaptists. No wonder that my Amish and Mennonite friends and acquaintances are so much in accord with my views on Mormonism. A worthy read. Anybody willing to help me digest this?

I wouldn’t say that people “ran” with their own translations of the Bible. The “running” happened prior to the reformation and the first council of trent. From there the flood gates were opened. Change should of happened from within but politics and power prevailed in that instance.

As for Joseph Smith, what bugs me to the most about the Mormons is their complete refusal of fact. At the very least the Bible can be traced with archeological records as well as written historical records from the likes of Flavius Joseph. Smith’s work in the Book of Mormon can not be supported this way and Smith himself had a very questionable lifestyle before it. If the facts are staring you in the face how can you refute them?

The “running” happened prior to the reformation and the first council of trent.
Human nature and original sin. Cropped up many times in the history of Catholicism and Christianity.
From there the flood gates were opened.
:frowning:

Change should of happened from within but politics and power prevailed in that instance.
Sad that there were so many uneducated Catholics at the time. With the introduction of the printing press, so many changes happened at once. Lesson on technology-- again, the Amish rejection of technology. So much pain.

Smith’s work in the Book of Mormon can not be supported this way and Smith himself had a very questionable lifestyle before it.
Yet, the BoM also contains a personalized interpretation of the Bible.

Various civilizations cultures and other social dynamics develop ,
we try to analyse them with certain parameters and analyse them accordingly.

The thing most people forget while discussing these dynamics an relations is
that apart form a catholic tradition we have received a faith in god which i
believe trumps all and goes beyond the dynamics of time and culture.
the church suffering the church triumphant and the church militant
which is the bride of Christ.

I agree, everyone has something within which points them towards the Light. Sometimes, even religion can get in the way. I just got directions on how to find the house of the nearest Amish bishop. He might have some interesting insights.

LOL as a side-comment, you might find this interesting.

Alma 3

Verse 4
And the Amlicites were distinguished from the Nephites, for they had marked themselves with red in their foreheads after the manner of the Lamanites; nevertheless they had not shorn their heads like unto the Lamanites.

Verse 13
Now we will return again to the Amlicites, for they also had a mark set upon them; yea, they set the mark upon themselves, yea, even a mark of red upon their foreheads.

I have always found the Anabaptists interesting, especially their offshoot the Amish. I remember I wanted to be amish once. :slight_smile:

A lot of people have a certain romantic affection towards the Amish lifestyle. Evidently the history of how it happened is not so pleasant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.