The Resurrection in Judaism

Belief in the eventual resurrection of the dead is a fundamental belief of traditional Judaism. It was a belief that distinguished the Pharisees (intellectual ancestors of Rabbinical Judaism) from the Sadducees. The Sadducees rejected the concept, because it is not explicitly mentioned in the Torah. The Pharisees found the concept implied in certain verses.

Belief in resurrection of the dead is one of Rambam’s 13 Principles of Faith. The second blessing of the Shemoneh Esrei prayer, which is recited three times daily, contains several references to resurrection. (Note: the Reform movement, which apparently rejects this belief, has rewritten the second blessing accordingly).

Passages in the Hebrew Bible traditionally interpreted as referring to resurrection include:

• Ezekiel’s vision of the valley of dry bones brought to restoration as a living army, which is commonly taken to be a metaphorical prophecy that the house of Israel would one day be gathered from the nations, out of exile, to live in the land of Israel once more:
    "He said to me, 'Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they come to life.”’ So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life, and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army. Then He said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel; behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.’ "Therefore prophesy, and say to them, 'Thus says the Lord God, “Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, My people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel.” (Ezekiel 37:9-12)
  • Samuel - “The LORD kills and makes alive; He brings down to Sheol and raises up.” (1 Samuel 2:6)
  • The prophet Elijah raises a young boy from death (1 Kings 17:17-24)
  • Similarly, Elisha raises the son of the Shunammite woman (2 Kings 4:32-37); this was the very same child whose birth he previously foretold (2 Kings 4:8-16)
  • Job - “Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God” (Job 19:26)
  • Isaiah - “Your dead will live; Their corpses will rise. You who lie in the dust, awake and shout for joy, For your dew is as the dew of the dawn, And the earth will give birth to the departed spirits.” (Isaiah 26:19)
  • Daniel’s vision, where a mysterious angelic figure tells Daniel, “Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.” (Daniel 12:2)

Cited works:
JewFAQs, Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife - Resurrection and Reincarnation
Wikipedia, “Resurrection” article

Well, as I understand the modern tradition of Judaism, there are many ideas which are held to be matters of oppinion. Resurrection of the dead is regarded as a matter of oppinion I believe. I have met jews who attend a synagoge and had never been taught anything about the resurrection of the dead.

Christianity would make more philosophical sense if it allowed broader areas of personal oppinion. I believe judaism is a stronger system of faith because they do not let narrow ideas become dogma.

Best regards…

Belief in the resurrection is a principal of faith in Judaism. Some Jews don’t know about the resurrection, though, because they aren’t taught about it. Judaism lacks a magisterium, so you aren’t taught about stuff. You can go to a rabbi and learn, or read the Scriptures and learn, but you aren’t taught.

One rabbi may regard ressurection as a principle of faith, but there are many rabbis and they have differing oppinions. On some issues jews seek a Rabbinical oppinon, but many questions are regarded as matters of personal oppinion.

It is not a matter of opinion, it is a principal of faith in Judaism. Reread the OP.

Bumping so people can see what Judaism teaches about resurrection :slight_smile:

I read the OP. The OP does not contradict what I stated. The saducees are an example of Jews who did not regard resurrection as a matter of faith. They held a different oppinion.

Judaism today does not speak through one authority, there are several forms, and many oppinions.

Do what Jesus told you to do, if you have questions ask a rabbi. A Rabbi will tell you, he knows the scriptures and the tradition.

Are you saing a non-rabbi Jew wouldn’t know the Scriptures and the Tradition? I got the info from JewFAQs. Just accept the fact that the bodily resurrection is a fundamental belief in Judaism.

There is no need to get your underware in a bunch. The Rambam is very authoritive for most Jews, but that does not mean that every Rabbi of every form of Judaism will support resurrection. The Sadducees didn’t.

Talk to a Rabbi, he will set you straight.

A quote from Jewfaq:

“Be aware, however, that many Jews do not follow all of the traditions described here, or do not follow them in the precise form described here.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.