The rise of drug overdoses in the US

The rise of drug overdoses in the US

This is most from the overuse of prescription pain medicine. I see this every day in my job as a nurse. This is a huge, huge problem!

Between 2000 and 2010 the number of people that died from drug overdoses more than doubled from 17,000 to 38,000, according to the most recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In 2009, for the first time in US history, more people died from drugs overdoses than from traffic accidents or firearms, although that is partly because the numbers of gun deaths and road deaths are both decreasing. So what is causing this epidemic?

The data suggests the number of people overdosing from pharmaceutical - or prescription - drugs has trebled over that decade, just as the quantity of prescription painkillers sold to pharmacies, hospitals, and doctors’ offices has quadrupled over the same period.

As a result in 2010, prescription drugs killed more than 22,100 people in the US, more than twice as many as cocaine and heroin combined.

:frowning: :mad:

Frustrating, to say the least.

This is quite a problem because there are millions who need and use their pain medications exactly as prescribed, but regulations and rules are making it more difficult and cumbersome to get pain meds prescriptions filled. I don’t know what the answer is, but I don’t want any more rules making it harder for the non-abuser to get his meds.

The thing is, they used to be cautious about prescribing pain medicines. Then the focus shifted to treating the pain. Well, workers were getting treated for an injury then becoming addicted to opiates, and in the end dying. I was surprised the first time I saw a child with a broken wrist being given Fentanyl. When I was young you walked home, and your parents told you to stop crying, and drove you to the hospital.

I guess there is beginnings of a shift away from prescribing pain medicines again. Which will require some adjustment on the part of patients who have been treated with them in the past. Like everything related to todays medicine, you have to be your own advocate.

ATB

Well said!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.