The Rite

I’m wondering if anyone has seen this movie? Any thoughts? I’m wondering how accurate it really is to the real events and characters. Does anyone know how one would go about finding out?

[quote="Genesius, post:1, topic:244570"]
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this movie? Any thoughts? I'm wondering how accurate it really is to the real events and characters. Does anyone know how one would go about finding out?

[/quote]

I saw the movie after it came out on DVD. I enjoy all Sir Anthony Hopkins movies. I'm afraid that I cannot comment on a comparison between the movie and the actual events depicted in the movie. As far as movies go however, I'd rate the movie 3 stars out of 5. The story was decent, special effects were... lacking, acting was fair, but overall nothing to write home about.

I've seen the movie three times. I read the book as well. The book, as expected, is better. According to the priest from the book (in which the movie is depicted), the movie is realistic except for a few parts where they've taken typical Hollywood license. He was not an undertaker. And he was not a seminarian when he became an exorcist. I would recommend the book over the movie, if this particular subject interests you.

The movie is worth it for the last 10 minutes. I saw the movie for my own interest the first time. The other two times--- the two people wanting to see it were to afraid to watch it alone.

Sir Anthony is a wonderful actor, and his role (when the priest is kind) reminds me of one of my parish priests back in the '90s.

I would recommend this movie with caution, and pray during the parts of the movie that disturb you. That's what we did.

Blessings

[quote="Tietjen, post:2, topic:244570"]
I saw the movie after it came out on DVD. I enjoy all Sir Anthony Hopkins movies. I'm afraid that I cannot comment on a comparison between the movie and the actual events depicted in the movie. As far as movies go however, I'd rate the movie 3 stars out of 5. The story was decent, special effects were... lacking, acting was fair, but overall nothing to write home about.

[/quote]

Actually the lack of special effects and the fair acting is what I thought added to it's realism. I liked Hopkins' character's line, "What were you expecting, turning heads and green vomit?"

I was just curious as to whether a priest was actually possessed or if that part was Hollywood. :rolleyes:

The book is awesome, I learned a lot from it.

I liked the book much better. The movie I felt was not faithful to the book at all. It took a few true elements, but that's pretty much about it.

Here's another thread that I started about the movie if you are interested in reading the replies I got to my thread as well. You can find that thread here.

The Movie: The Rite

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=576497

God bless.

I actually really like it. It was nice to see the Catholic church not demonized in a movie for once. Also I found it to more of a story of a young man trying to find his way verses just an exorcist type movie. Plus it wasn't scary....so Yes I did like it and would recommend it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the book more, though.

Catholic film critic Stephen D. Greydanus has reviewed this film:

decentfilms.com/reviews/rite

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.