The Robe ... movie

have u seen this movie? it follows Christs robe after hes crucified.

really a beautiful movie.

Richard Burton, Jean Simmons Victure Mature

its on youtube, excellent.

Quite a good one. “Were you … out THERE?!” “Go … both of you … to your kingdom!”

You might enjoy these excerpts from the Robe and its sequel “Demetrius and the Gladiators” featuring the anti-Christ stylings of Jay Robinson as the creepy Caligula.

I must say, some of these vignettes made me think of current events (on a smaller, but still Government gone wild scale).

youtube.com/watch?v=orinm_we_YY

jay robinson was genius.

Last time I saw it was about 45 years ago. Don’t remember much besides the emperor who had a slave killed and, putting on the robe, tried to command him to come back to life.

It was a great movie. You might also elect to seek out the movie’s sequel, “Demetrius and the Gladiators.”

God bless,

Saw it years ago.

And also made around the same time was Quo Vadis?

Great tale of a pagan General who falls in love with a Christian slave girl during the reign of Nero.

Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, and Peter Ustinov as Nero.

The venerable Finlay Currie played the apostle Peter. Leo Genn as Petronius. Great flick.

Quo Vadis got its author the Nobel Literary Prize in 1905.
It’s available to read in its entirety here:
gutenberg.org/ebooks/2853

Thanks Tenofovir! I’ll check it out.

I know the title was from a (nonbiblical but edifying) story about St. Peter (supposedly) fleeing Rome and martyrdom. As He was going down the Appian Way, he saw Jesus going TOWARD Rome.

Quo vadis Domine? (Where are you going, Lord) Peter asked.

“To Rome to be crucified again,” Jesus said (in the tale).

With that Peter did an about face, returned to Rome and preached until he was arrested, then martyred.

Tradition has it that he asked to be crucified upside down because he was not worthy to die in the same way as the Lord had. (Which is why sometimes the Pope - Peter’s successor - is seen with an inverted cross, the cross of Peter, NOT a Satanic symbol but another symbol of a Satanic defeat, the martyrdom of St. Peter).

I haven’t yet read the book, but I’d bet that it, like the movie “Quo Vadis?” contains that Peter meets Jesus scene and its aftermath. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.