The Rosary, and my troubles

I’m having trouble getting back into the habit of praying the Rosary daily. I seem to pray it every other day instead of every day. I’ve prayed about it, but I’m still having problems. I’m also having trouble concentrating on the mysteries while reciting the decades.

I recently started going to Eucharistic adoration regularly, on Sunday mornings and Tuesday evenings, and the Rosary seems less important to me now than it did before. However, I want to get into the habit of praying it every day if possible. Any suggestions?

Josh, Mary always draws us to Jesus, and it appears that your efforts to say the rosary are drawing you closer to her Son.

If it weren’t for the apparitions at Fatima, I would have probably never even considered Eucharistic adoration in the first place, so I think you’re right, that Mary is leading me to her son. However, I still would like to get back into the habit of praying the Rosary daily.

Hi Josh. It might help you to get a copy of the Rosary on DVD… and play it, and pray along with it. This helped me quite a bit… when I was getting back to praying the Rosary.

Here is a link to EWTN’s Religious Catalogue. I think they have several versions of the Rosary, on DVD. But this is one of them. Hope this helps.

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/THE+HOLY+ROSARY+IN+STAINED+GLASS+DVD/keywords=Rosary+DVD/page_no=1/edp_no=6211/shop.axd/ProductDetails

I already have a CD of the Rosary, but when the people on the CD get to a mystery, they stop and reflect on the mystery for a couple minutes before they pray the decade. Even then, I still have trouble keeping my mind focused on the mysteries while praying the decades. The DVD wouldn’t help me any more than the CD, since I’m totally blind, but thanks for the suggestion.

Almost seven years ago, when I was going through RCIA for the first time, I eventually got to where I was able to concentrate on the mysteries pretty well while praying, and I prayed the Rosary on most days. Now, I’m more Catholic than I’ve ever been in my whole life, but I can’t get it together when it comes to the Rosary. If I’m not concentrating on the mysteries while praying the decades, doesn’t it become vain repetition?

Well, you might ask your Guardian Angel then, to help you concentrate. I have asked mine, and he has helped me many times. God bless.

Josh, you sound just like me!!! I have always had this problem, for many years really. I’ve learned to not get depressed about it or even fret about it. I feel the fact I’m praying it at all makes our Lady and Lord very happy. To try and improve this I bought one of those Rosary rings at the Catholic shop and leave it in my truck so I can pray while I’m driving. Here’s the kind I have, makes it easy to use while driving:
cilice.co.uk/images/ROSARY_RING1.jpg

As for meditating on the mysteries, I do this in different ways depending on where I’m praying. In the truck I’ll just say what the mystery is after “…fruit of they womb, Jesus.” part of the Hail Mary. For instance, for the first Joyful Mystery, The Annunciation, I’ll say “…fruit of they womb, Jesus (whom you obediently conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit). .Holy Mary…”. You can come up with your own that are easier for you to remember.

In the quiet of my home I use my regular Rosary and mentally picture the Mystery as well as think of the Spiritual Fruit I hope to obtain. For instance, for the Second Sorrowful Mystery, the Scourging at the Pillar, I’ll picture the event and think “Mortification of the senses”. Sometimes this has gotten very intense. One time while praying the Second Sorrowful Mystery I got so lost in the mental image of Christ being whipped, flesh torn, blood everywhere, that when the decade was done I was weak, exhausted and tears streaming down my face for the shame I felt in my sins being a reason for his scourging. It’s not always that intense but to me that was a grace-filled blessing to have experienced it.

With all that said, I still don’t pray the Rosary every day. I’d like to but I’m also disinterested at times, preferring to do other things. It’s my human weakness and I’ll keep working to overcome it. But I’m not fretting over it.

Keep at it! I’ll keep you in my prayers!

trob

I said this on another thread of yours but I would think a good heart-to-heart with a spiritual advisor might be helpful.

EVERYBODY has trouble recting the decades and concentrating on the mysteries at the same time. The key is to let your mind repose on the mystery without attempting discursive meditation.

The Rosary is not necessarily for all people at all times in their lives. I used to pray on the beads: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Son of Mary: have mercy on us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

It’s awesome that you want to say the Most Holy Rosary every day. The Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary must be speaking to you!! :slight_smile: :smiley: :heart: :slight_smile: :smiley:

After all, Our Lady of Fatima said, “Say the Rosary every day… Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners…I’m Our Lady of the Rosary… Only I will be able to help you…In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph.”

Sister Lucy of Fatima said: “She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem; no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations, that cannot be solved by the Rosary.”

Our Lady of Kibeho said, “Pray the Rosary.”

St. Padre Pio said, “Love our Lady, make others love her. Always say your Rosary and say it well. Satan always tries to destroy this prayer, but he will never succeed. It is the prayer of her who triumphs over everything and everyone.”

Here are my secrets for concentrating enough to say the Most Holy Rosary every day. They come from The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort: which explains the origin and name, prayers, mysteries, marvelous effects, proper dispositions, ways to combat distractions and pray the Rosary effectively, and Confraternities (so you can have the benefit of other people’s Rosaries as well) montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

1. Kneel. This shows great respect to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary
  2. Add a little line to the Jesus in every Hail Mary reflecting the mystery. For example, if you are saying the First Sorrowful Mystery: The Agony in the Garden, say: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus in His Agony. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
    Others to use for other mysteries:
    Jesus, incarnate
    Jesus, sanctifying
    Jesus, born in poverty
    Jesus, sacrificed
    Jesus, Saint among Saints
    Jesus, in His Agony
    Jesus, crowned with thorns
    Jesus, carrying His Cross
    Jesus, crucified
    Jesus, risen from the dead
    Jesus, ascending to heaven
    Jesus, filling Thee with the Holy Spirit
    Jesus, raising Thee up
    Jesus, crowning Thee

Here is a link to more methods: montfort.org.uk/Writings/MSR.html
3) I like to remember someone or someone’s intention in my Most Holy Rosary. I know that the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary can apply the Most Holy Rosary to anyone they see fit, but it helps me to think I am helping someone else by praying for them :slight_smile:
4) Say the Most Holy Rosary in a church or with adoration, you can adore right here at home by opening up this weblink:
louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
5) Practice True Devotion to Mary, this has made my prayer life easier. When you consecrate your whole life 100% to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary for her will, do you think it will become harder or easier to pray? montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
6) Try to implement the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus revealed to us by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, such things as practicing humility and reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus:
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
7) Enroll in the Rosary Confraternity: You pray for all people in this confraternity and they pray for you once you do nothing more than enroll and pray the Rosary regularly: rosary-center.org/nconform.htm Hundreds of thousands of Rosaries that include you in their intentions :slight_smile:

His Holiness Pope John Paul II practiced True Devotion to Mary. Here are his reflections: michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm

And here is a Papal document on devotion to the Blessed Virgin (ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM) It even mentions how the method we have given you above to say the Most Holy Rosary with devotion used to be practiced more frequently

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Pray as you can, not as you can’t.

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Some other tips: I read in St. Faustina’s Diary that the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary told her to pray prostrate on the ground or with arms outstretched for a capture of souls. I also read that the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary gave this advice to one of the seers who saw the Virgin or Mother of the Word, when she prophesied the Rwandan genocide if people did not change their ways. Here is a New York Times link to this prophesy: query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E4D81738F93BA35757C0A96F958260

This tires the arms greatly, but if done during the Sorrowful Mysteries, it helps me to concentrate on the sorrow that the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary must have felt while crucified on the cross with arms outstretched, nailed in fact to the cross. It also reminds me of how I think it was Moses had to raise his hands for the Israelite people to win some war, and when he was too tired someone else - was it Joshua, I can’t recall - had to raise his hands for him. It also creates physical pain, so if one cannot mentally focus completely, one is always physically focusing and imitating the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I also find it helpful to learn as much as I can about each Mystery in order to have things to meditate on while thinking about the Mystery. For example, reading about the Seven Sorrows of Mary gives much greater perspective on the birth of the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the presentation, the finding in the temple, and every single one of the sorrowful mysteries. On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus provides some perspective on how the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary felt while on the Cross, what he was thinking, where his thoughts were that provided new insight for me: Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus comes from St. Margaret Mary Alacoque’s revelations/apparitions and the comments of her confessor.Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Here is more information about the Immaculate Heart of Mary: **The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

That’s my parish! However, I can’t connect to the adoration chapel, because it’s saying something about the page using Java, and it prompts me for a username and password. Do I need to register or something in order to make it work?

What helps me concentrate on the mysteries of the Rosary, is the Scriptural Rosary.

There is a little book that has all the mysteries of the Rosary in it, and before each Hail Mary is recited, there is a line of Scripture appropriate to the mystery. This helps with focusing very much.

You don’t even have to purchase the book. Just do a search online for “Scriptural Rosary” and you can find several sites that have it and it can be printed out for your use.

I just found a good site for the Scriptural Rosary…here it is:

ainglkiss.com/ros/sr.htm

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Jesus, I trust in you! Jesus, I trust in you! Jesus, I trust in you!

Ask for graces in your Most Holy Rosary. May the grace of the Immaculate Heart of Mary come down into my soul! May the grace of the Immaculate Heart of Mary come down into my soul! May the grace of the Immaculate Heart of Mary come down into my soul! May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary gift us with the graces that we most desperately need! May the Holy Spirit, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, gift us with the graces that we most desperately need! May the Holy Spirit, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, gift us with the graces that we most desperately need! Come Jesus through Mary Come, Fill our Hearts with Shouts of Gladness, Come Jesus through Mary Come, Let your Spirit reign!

Pray at 3:00, the hour of crucifixion

YES, I needed to install java when I first visited that site:) :smiley: :thumbsup:

Jesus, I trust in you! Jesus, I trust in you! Jesus, I trust in you!

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Holy God, Holy Mighty One, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us!

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I have the same problems. When your mind wanders dont beat yourself up about it just try to refocus. Having a motivation to say the Rosary such as in reparation for sins and/or for the conversion of sinners really helps me.
Also google the promises of the Rosary
and you might be interested in this Marian apparition approved by then Cardinal Ratzinger with Mary talking about the importance of saying the Rosary. What she says is a bit scary but it might inspire you.
michaeljournal.org/akita.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.