The Rosary and the promises of Our Lady

Are these a “private revelation”? How many of you believe them?

1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
  2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
  3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
  4. The Rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
  6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
  7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
  9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
  10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.
  11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
  12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.
  14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

Has anyone had any luck with #11? Would you like to share your experience? How can you be sure there wasn’t a placebo effect at work? I was told that your requests must be within the realm of “the will of God”. So far I haven’t had much luck with it, and I’m not sure I believe any of these promises. I do find recitation of the rosary to reduce anxiety. It is also relaxing and I do not intend to stop my devotion.

My understanding is that the “15 promises” have been specifically disapproved by the Holy See as unreliable.

Mark,
Any documentation on that one?

Thanks!

E.g., here, forbidding these alleged promises to be reprinted.

I don’t know if they are genuine private revleations. I tend to think so. I thought they were associated with St. Louis de Montfort. I believe all of them, but being at most private revelation, and possibly not even that, they are not binding on anyone else.

As for #11, I am a “’'Fraidy Cat”. I won’t ask for the boats, wealth, or the temporal power that I desire. I only have enough faith to ask for those things I know God wants me to have anyway…like faith, hope, and charity. I’m glad to hear that like me, you are drawn to continue your devotion. I believe that if I would ask to be King of the Universe with faith in #11, I believe I would get it if I believed I should get it. But sadly, I don’t believe. Too bad for me. :shrug:

Hi Mark,

I think this is talking about a different private revelation.

The Rosary promises were given by Our Lady to Bl. Alan de la Roche, and yes I believe they are approved by the Church :slight_smile:

I personally believe them

Ah – you’re entirely right, my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, there have been threads on these supposed promises here and here; hopefully there’s something useful that’s been said there.

I also believe that these revelations were given to Blessed Alan and are approved by the Church. I do believe these promises. As for #11, I believe that Our Heavenly Mother uses her motherly discretion in giving what is beneficial for us to reach our Heavenly homeland. Remember she told St. Bernadette that “I cannot promise you happiness in this life but in the next one.”

Thank you Marc for linking those other threads. I read on new advent that Roche may not have been playing with a full deck in that he was delusional and frequently referenced non-existent writings in his sermons. It’s irrelevant because scripture has many passages about prayer and invoking the name of Christ to get whatever you want (in that it conforms to God’s will).

The point of this thread was to just try and get some personal accounts of people who have received some kind of gift as a result of saying the rosary (A request made and granted via #11th promise). I don’t expect people to post that God gave them a yacht or ownership of the L.A. Lakers, but maybe an account of someone converting or a healing of the sick; something that has a good chance of conforming to God’s will that was a direct favor as a result of saying the rosary. Obviously such personal accounts will mean nothing to most Catholics, but those types of stories really interest me.

St Dominic also comes to mind when speaking of the Rosary and it power.

The Blessed Mother in the last days and time which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of Rosary. To such an extent there is no problem, no matter how dificult it is. Be it temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our family. Which canot be solved by the recitation of the Rosary.

“Among all the devotions approved by the Church none has been so favored by so many miracles as the devotion of the Most Holy Rosary” (Pope Pius IX).

“Say the Rosary every day to obtain peace for the world” (Our Lady of Fátima).

“There is no surer means of calling down God’s blessings upon the family . . . than the daily recitation of the Rosary” (Pope Pius XII).

“We do not hesitate to affirm again publicly that we put great confidence in the Holy Rosary for the healing of evils of our times” (Pope Pius XII).

“No one can live continually in sin and continue to say the Rosary: either they will give up sin or they will give up the Rosary” (Bishop Hugh Doyle).

“The Rosary is a magnificent and universal prayer for the needs of the Church, the nations and the entire world” (Pope John XXIII).

“The Rosary is the compendium of the entire Gospel” (Pope Paul VI quoting Pope Pius XII).

“Meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary . . . can be an excellent preparation for the celebration of those same mysteries in the liturgical actions * and can also become a continuing echo thereof” (Pope Paul VI).

“My impression is that the Rosary is of the greatest value not only according to the words of Our Lady at Fátima, but according to the effects of the Rosary one sees throughout history. My impression is that Our Lady wanted to give ordinary people, who might not know how to pray, this simple method of getting closer to God” (Sister Lucia, one of the seers of Fátima).

“How beautiful is the family that recites the Rosary every evening” (Pope John Paul II).

Pope John Paul II has called the Rosary his “favorite prayer,” after the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours.

St. Louis de Montfort warns us against both the ignorant and scholars who regard the Rosary as something of little importance…“the Rosary is a priceless treasure inspired by God.”

I firmly suggest you Pray the Rosary daily and give it an Honest chance. It will change your life.

“The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by my Son”

Akita 1973

God Bless, GT*

In 1980 Pope John Paul II made this following statement as he held up the Rosary…

“Here is you remedy against Evil. Pray, pray and ask for for nothing more, Leave Everything to the Mother of God”

A few comments

We have to take this on faith (pun intended :stuck_out_tongue: )

I suppose this is where the idea that the saint Mary of Nazareth mediates graces comes from.

Hard to prove, yet nice to believe.

I don’t doubt this one bit.

Actually, there are many prayer rules of which it can be said will do the same, such as the LOTH. I am in favor of all of them, especially the LOTH since it is the official prayer of the church.

I suppose that this requires some clarification of the term perish, as used here.

This is difficult to assess.

If one does suffer the misfortunes named it can be asserted that they must have not been devout enough.

Sort of like the discussion between Job and his friends.

Another difficult one to prove. It would be interesting to see a study done. I am sure one can find situations in extreme environments where priests were not available.

To address that we would have to open up an entire discussion over what constitutes a sacrament, with intent, matter and form.

There might be sacraments of desire, but what does the church actually teach on the overall subject (aside from baptism)? Are there Rites of the Sick by desire, Communion by desire, Confession by desire?

Worth looking into.

Hard to argue with this. As above I think this can be said for a lot of prayer rules. Numbers 3, 4 and number 8 seem to be restatements of the same theme.

Supposing there to be a Purgatory for arguments sake, I would say only God delivers souls from it.

If they do not, perhaps they were not true enough?

This seems to suggest Job again.

From another perspective I wonder if it is appropriate for Christians to actually desire great glory. It seems contrary to the concept of genuine humility and may be linked to pride.

This reminds me of the Reverend Ike, or maybe Joel Osteen.

This seems like the chain letter concept. Sorry, it really does! :shrug:

Pending clarification on what constitutes the Celestial Court (and who defined that?) this is like saying “the judge has allowed you all the lawyers in the city”. The judgment is another matter.

Does it mean Our Lord is saying “I will allow them all to hector me until I give in to their pleading”, or does it mean something else?

This I do not doubt.

This is a self-validating prophecy. The argument is circular, although it is not perfectly clear what is meant by predestination. I think most of us expect it to be something very good for us, like election by God.

The Calvinists used to think that monetary prosperity was a sign of election. Here one can ‘opt-in’ by pursuing the devotional practice.

So the question is: “… am I devoted to the rosary because God has chosen me, or did God choose me because of my devotion to the rosary?”

And “if I am elect and predestined by God, do the other promises matter?”

Better not take any chances.

I was struggling with confusion about a year before entering the Church. I kept going back and forth between Catholicism and the Presbyterianism in which I’d been raised. I had reached a point of such confusion that I could not even think straight anymore when it came to matters of religion. I had been praying the rosary twice a week (when my little boy was in preschool) for a while and thought that I should just ask Mary to pray for me to know the direction in which I should go. I asked to be set me on the right path to her Son. I remember going to bed that night in tears, but believing that Mary would pray for my guidance. I awoke the next morning with peace in my heart and mind – a peace I had not known for months. I truly believe this was related to promise #11.

Hope this is of interest to you.

To debate the 15-promise’s of the Rosary with anyone who has never prayed the Rosary becomes a pointless arguement. It would be about equivalent to me debating electricity with another who’s total experience in electrical amounts to screwing in a light bulb? Whats the point?

I would suggest that if you give the Rosary a chance and put a honest effort into praying the Rosary. Than there’s not a doubt in my mind that it will change your life for the better. It will put you directly on the path to Jesus Christ and God, And if you continue to Pray it you’ll hold fast to that path.

Knowing how powerful this combination of Prayers are and knowing the intercession our Blessed Mother continues to exibit in this physical world. It would be foolish to not heed her words and pay particular attention to her direction and the power Jesus Christ has given to the Rosary on her behalf. The Wedding at Cana and the conversation between Jesus and Our Lady gives you a wonderfull glimpse into the relationship between Our Lady and Jesus Christ. He does everything she asks of him. Make no mistake about that. And she in particular spoke on the state of mind of God at Fatima and in the messages given their. When Our Lady said to us; “Only Our Lady of the Rosary can help you now”. You are “Very Safe” in taking that literally, because she meant it literally.

From this point to debate the 15 promise’s of the Rosary would also be to doubt the apparitions, prophesy and miracles of Fatima. To debate the validity and existance of the Blessed Mother herself is to not believe in the existance of Jesus Christ, God or any of the Catholic Faiths teachings. A heretic believes many things that a Catholic believes, But St Thomas points out that a heretic doesn’t have Faith, “Otherwise they would accept everything that God has taught to Jesus Christ and his followers of the Catholic Faith”. Because you choose to accept or reject this or that dogma, then you only have a “kind of opinion” which in many ways agrees with the Articles of this Faith. But because a heretic rejects some dogmas his belief is “not” based on faith, how could it be? The individual who believes everything GOD teaches is true, because the faithfull soul knows that God who is Holy cannot tell a lie. And God who is ALL KNOWING, cannot be mistaken! Mant Catholics don’t understand our total dependance on Garce for any goodness we have and that we depend on it from instant to instant. WE have an obligation, however, to point out that we have to believe the Catholic Faith whole and entire. “Athanasian Creed” Whoever wishs to be saved, must before all else adhere to the Catholic Faith. He must preserve this Faith “whole” and untarnished. Being the creed of the Catholic Church it is also a doctrine that a person must believe in order to be catholic. Once we can fully understand this. Then we can understand that Our Lady is the connection between the Old and the New Testament. She is “the LINK”. Which connects the Jewish Faith to the Catholic Faith.

The Blessed Mother warned us; “If my requests go unheeded”, There will be Wars and Persecution against the Church, the good will be Martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer, and Nations will be destroyed. In the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"

The new efficacy placed on the Rosary in these days, the last days in time. Is a direct intercession of the Blessed Mother on and for the intervention of God. Catholics of the World need to come together in this very difficult time. WE need to put our petty differences aside for the safty of the World and for all the lost Sould with no Faith. We have a great challenge and many more in front of us. Let us Thank God for Our Ladys message of Fatima and her offer to Help. The Rosary is a direct line to Our Blessed Mother. To Pray the Rosary is to re-connect your life line to Our Lady, God and the Catholic Faith.

The TRUTH about Jesus Christ is protected in his Hypostatic Union by the Truth about Our Lady. When one reconizes the place assigned to The Blessed Virgin by dogma and tradition, Then and only then is one solidly rooted in authentic Christology. The truth about Our Lady protects the truth about Jesus. Because Mary is the mother of Jesus and this is a dogmatic truth. This protects something critical about who Jesus is. He is true GOD, but also Man. Jesus has a truly human nature identicle to Our Ladys. This also protects the Redemption. The truth about our Blessed Mother protects Our Immortal destiny. The guarantee “we” will have a resurrection. Jesus is the Redeemer, Mary is the Co-Redeemer, e are the co-redeemerd through the Blessed Mother and Jesus Christ. The Mariology of the Catholic Church comprise’s the correct relationship and necessary integration between scripture and tradition. OUR suffering has a supernatural value; Our suffering is redempative. The Blessed Mother is the Supernatural Mother of “ALL” people, guided by the Holy Spirit. Our Ladys universal meditation for redemption is “The Rosary”.

Until we can arrive at the point of understanding the “correct” relationship of our Blessed Mother and her son Jesus Christ… thus GOD. Then its pointless to debate the 15-promise’s. I “think” the lack of believeing the 15-promise’s has a much deeper doubt. And thats the doubt of who our Blessed Mother actually is and her actual place and purpose in the Catholic Faith, thus the life of Man on Earth and his destiny to Heaven with GOD.

What I find amazing?..“IF” you had a terminal illness. and I said to you “take this Pill and you will be cured of you illness”. You would automatically take the pill and give it a chance to save you.

Yet on the other hand, we say “Pray the Rosary daily and you WILL be saved”! And the confrontation becomes one of doubt. Never mind the 15-promise’s.

AMEN and GOD BLESS you my Brother and Sisters and may our Blessed Mother forgive your doubt.

Have you ever tried the Jesus prayer?

Nice of you to share this. beautifull. i know that Mother would not lead you astray.

The promises are reliable. And I would be extraordinarily cautious about alluding to a Blessed as delusional. (Where did you read this on New Advent?! I can’t find it)

Irregardless…

Just pray the Rosary! Nearly half (if not more) of those promises have been reiterated by numerous Saints of the Church.

“If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins ‘you shall receive a never-fading crown of glory.’ Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practise black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and will save your soul, if-- and mark well what I say-- if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins.” St. Louis de Montfort, The Secret of the Rosary

If you are praying the Rosary solely in hopes of obtaining something you desire (i.e., your focus on the 11th Promise), you are not fully praying the Rosary (or at least you are not praying it with devotion… you are simply praying the Rosary as a means to an end). So just pray the Rosary. Trust the promises, but don’t view them as a kind of contract that obliges God to grant your petition simply because you prayed a Rosary. That’s not how it works.

Thank you ladyofthehouse for sharing your experience. It is helpful. I think it would interesting to see how many people you know who have devoutly prayed the rosary were able to receive all of the sacraments like our Lady promised, as suggested by a sort of “study” by another poster.

I don’t pray it everyday, but I think it averages out to everyday because sometimes I say it more than once a day. But what is meant by “once a day”? 5 decades? 15 decades? The luminous mysteries included 20 decades? Don’t most traditional catholics reject the luminous? My grandmother taught me how to say the rosary and the one I have is her’s. Coincidentaly, it’s from Fatima.

I find recitation also helps me resist ____________ (insert sin here).

Don’t believe me eh? :frowning: Here it is under the article “rosary” on NA. Sorry if ole Alan was a huge inspiration for you:

“Impressed by this conspiracy of silence, the Bollandists, on trying to trace to its source the origin of the current tradition, found that all the clues converged upon one point, the preaching of the Dominican Alan de Rupe about the years 1470-75. He it undoubtedly was who first suggested the idea that the devotion of “Our Lady’s Psalter” (a hundred and fifty Hail Marys) was instituted or revived by St. Dominic. **Alan was a very earnest and devout man, but, as the highest authorities admit, he was full of delusions, and based his revelations on the imaginary testimony of writers that never existed (see Quétif and Echard, “Scriptores O.P.”, 1, 849). **His preaching, however, was attended with much success.”

To the E.O. posters, I actually came very close to joining you when I renounced my atheism. I understand your scepticism of the rosary. I think you all have some venerable traditions also, but the rosary is a beautiful thing, and I hope one day we will be in communion again…

I have had definite experiences with promise #1 and signal graces. It was startling when they happened.

I looked under his name page on New Advent and did not see the statement (or anything resembling), that was why I questioned you.
newadvent.org/cathen/01246a.htm

Alanus de Rupe

(Sometimes ALAIN DE LA ROCHE).

Born about 1428; died at Zwolle in Holland, 8 September, 1475. Some writers claim him as a native of Germany, others of Belgium; but his disciple, Cornelius Sneek, O.P., assures us that he was born in Brittany. Early in life he entered the Dominican Order, and while pursuing his studies at Saint Jacques, Paris, he distinguished himself in philosophy and theology. From 1459 to 1475 he taught almost uninterruptedly at Paris, Lille, Douay, Ghent, and Rostock in Germany, where, in 1473, he was made Master of Sacred Theology. During his sixteen years of teaching he became a most renowned preacher. He was indefatigable in what he regarded as his special mission, the preaching and re-establishment of the Rosary, which he did with success throughout northern France, Flanders, and the Netherlands. His vision of the restoration of the devotion of the Rosary is assigned to the year 1460. Alanus published nothing during his lifetime, but immediately after his death the brethren of his province were commanded to collect his writings for publication. These were edited at different times and have occasioned much controversy among scholars. His relations of the visions and sermons of St. Dominic, supposed to have been revealed to Alanus, are not to be regarded as historical. His works are published by Graesse in Trésor des livres rare et précieux.

It’s interesting they would claim he was delusional in an article about the Rosary, but leave that out when speaking about the man himself. I wonder who these “highest authorities” are who admit this regarding a Blessed?

I will have to do some further investigation myself into the matter. Thanks for pointing me to the source.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.