The Rosary Hurts My Brain

I started praying the rosary a while back, for the first time in my life. I am drawn to it, and on days when I have failed to pray it due to time or to tiredness I miss it.

Yet, here’s the strange part: the rosary hurts my brain. Painful sensations pulse right up in the right hand top side of my head. Additionally, my chest tightens. I am driven at times to get up and walk around as I pray it, in an attempt to “walk it off.”

I note that if I rush through the prayers in rote fashion, without meditation, just ticking them off, these sensations abate. What I wind up doing is this: putting the pedal down, so to speak, until I get uncomfortable with the pain, then letting it up and ticking off the prayers until I feel more comfortable, then putting the pedal back down again. The rosary then becomes like a strange pain management program.

Now I don’t like this part where I wind up backing off and going rote. But really the intensity of physical feeling that comes along kind of forces me to, out of fear mainly. To me this is kind of freaky and I don’t know to make of it. I’ve never experienced anything remotely like this before, and it’s unsettling. I’ve never been one to have any sort of these experiences related to prayer, churchgoing, or anything really.

Here are my questions:

1. Does this happen to anybody else?
  2. Should I see a doctor?
  3. Has anybody heard of such a thing elsewhere?

Thanks!

That’s so weird. I thought that it was just me. :eek: Ever since I began praying intensely (I think :slight_smile: :confused: not 100% sure when it started) I have felt a much greater need to walk around, whether walking around outside or inside. I don’t think it hurts my brain. But I sometimes do find it hard to concentrate when praying the Rosary. Generally though I take this as spiritual warfare because even when I stop praying I find it hard to concentrate, and usually whenever this happens (not too frequently - probably once a month or so) it is during a usual time period of something extremely very important in my life.

The chest tightening happened to me once or twice. A lady at my Church told me that one time she was not praying or anything and she was in the hospital and she felt a demonic presence - I think almost choking her or something. :mad: :eek: :confused: :shrug: She reminded me to never give up the Most Holy Rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I think that one of the most strange latest experiences that I have had with the Divine Mercy Chaplet is that I prayed it in the car one day, it was raining outside, the car barely avoided accidents on the highway. The car drove back safely home with no problems. Immediately it reached the house, it stopped (broke down, needed to be restarted) . I suspected that I was being stalked and persecuted by evil but under strong spiritual protection because of my prayers and my striving for spiritual perfection and holiness to my utmost ability most of the time. :o

See a doctor.
Some people have reported problems with tension, breathing difficulties and right-temporal-lobe function after prolonged meditation in Eastern religions, I have heard. I don’t know if that’s what you have or not, but if exercising and speeding up helps, tell your doctor that too.
Remember that we can’t give medical advice here, and I’m not offering these observations as medical advice.

Thanks, survive. I wasn’t aware of the medical advice prohibition.

Scratch that question at large about seeing a doctor, then.

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.” (1 Peter 4:12-13)

That verse struck me when I was going through some strange pain. But I didn’t have health insurance so I researched it and found out it wasn’t dangerous. Then I realized God was simply purifying me for the task at hand, and its been gone for awhile now. But that’s just my story, you might want to see a doctor. And you might want to only pray part of the Rosary, or half of it at a time. We’ll expect to see you again for a checkup next week! :smiley: God bless.

wow, I am not the only who gets that feeling in the head, it is more of a shock to me, I usually get it while reciting the rosary and view a holy image or when I am reading something about Our Lady. Also at the same time, I start crying profusely too. I don’t think there is nothing medically wrong, unless you have other problems like nose bleeds or something. I think it is just some grace is working through me, the more I learn and pray about the rosary and the promises it has and the apparitions, the more I reject what I was, and embrace what I should be

Free information on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
**Litany of the Blessed Virgin ** intermirifica.org/Mary/marylitany.htm
**Cathechis of the Popes on Mary, Mother of God, ** catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Mary
Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.
The Way of the Cross by St. Josemaria Escriva escrivaworks.org/book/the_way_of_the_cross-point-4.htm
**Rosarium Virginis Mariae ** by His Holiness Pope John Paul II: To the Bishops, Clergy, and Faithful on the Most Holy Rosary vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html
The Violence of Love by Archbishop Oscar Romero plough.com/ebooks/ViolenceOfLove.html

I have no idea. If you have alarming physical symptoms for any reason, see your doctor, but I doubt if the rosary is to blame. You may be hyperventilating. sounds like you are trying to force your prayer. begin by dropping back and just saying the prayers. remember to breathe. as you become more accustomed to the prayer you will find yourself better able to recall and think about the gospel mystery. don’t force it.

From: Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

#1791 When a great storm was approaching, I began to say the chaplet. Suddenly I heard the voice of an angel: “I cannot approach in this storm, because the light which comes from her mouth drives back both me and the storm.” Such was the angel’s complaint to God. I then recognized how much havoc he was to have made through this storm; but I also recognized that this prayer was pleasing to God, and that this chaplet was most powerful.

#1798 Suddenly, I found myself in a strange cottage where an elderly man was dying amidst great torments. All about the bed was a multitude of demons and the family, who were crying. When I began to pray, the spirits of darkness fled, with hissing and threats directed at me. The soul became calm and, filled with trust, rested in the Lord.

At the same moment, I found myself again in my own room. How this happens… I do not know. +

1799 J.M.J. I feel that there is a power which is defending me and protecting me from the blows of the enemy. It guards and defends me. I feel it very distinctly; it is as if I am being shielded by the shadow of His wings.

I often walk, as I pray. I suffer from breathing difficulties… which make it hard for me to kneel, during prayer. And I tend to be a high-strung and nervous personality type. So, walking… while praying… is very helpful for me.

Of course, kneeling is a very good and reverent posture for prayer… (and I do kneel, during Mass and Eucharistic Adoration); But not everyone can kneel, with ease. God is so loving and merciful. He hears our prayers, no matter what. I’m sure, He’s looking more at our hearts… than our posture. Hope this helps. God bless, and I hope your headaches cease.

Hmm… I don’t have a solution to what it could be, there could be a lot of explanations. You could consult a priest or do some research to find out from an expert. Pray about it. There is a Saint Gemma Gilgani who experienced some mystical phenomena.

www.stgemma.com

Like Saint Bernadette being visited by the Virgin Mary, she was visited by Saint Gabriel Possenti of the Sorrowful Mother, who prayed the rosary with her. Pray to them and ask for help.

I thank you respondents.

I am comforted to the degree that my situation is not entirely unheard of. It has a precedent in Eastern Orthodoxy as one said, and a couple others have chimed in relating experiences similar to mine.

I’m going to continue my pedal on/pedal off crazed version of the the Holy Rosary, lol.

Keep an eye out for a man in the paper who was found, mysteriously dead, with a tire tread on his head and a rosary in his hand, yet alone in his basement. That would be me! hahaha

Peace be with you!

mystagogia, AveSantaMaria, and anyone else- You are not alone

When I Pray the Rosary, when I pray, or even when I’m in Church I (sometimes) feel frustrated and stressed-out because I feel “pains” in my heart and lungs–almost like I can not breathe. I do have asthma/allergies by the way but I don’t think asthma/allergies has anything to do with it.

I get angry at myself because I feel frustrated and stressed-out. I love praying the Rosary, praying, going to Mass, Adoration, etc. I love dedicating my time to spend with Our Lord and Our Blessed Mother. Like I stated, I get angry at myself because I want to pray the Rosary, pray, go to church, and so forth with total devotion and with zeal for God.

I could be wrong but perhaps the devil wants us to feel all this physical pain so we don’t Pray the Rosary and so forth. It could be God that gives us physical pain also so we can rely on Him more. Maybe, we feel the pain for all people who are suffering and we don’t know/recognize (abortion, sick, elderly, abused, third world, Purgatory, etc.)

• Well, I stated I could be wrong.

Who am I to say that I suffer? When the Lord, the Blessed Mother, and so many Saints suffered?

For those who suggested seeking medical advice? What if your doctor does not believe in God? or Praying the Rosary? What if your doctor suggested to give up on Praying the Rosary?

I don’t know about you but I certainly would not give up on Praying especially the Rosary even if it hurts. I’m glad that my Rosary can be a ladder for all the Holy souls suffering in Purgatory.

[quote="mystagogia, post:1, topic:142609"]
I started praying the rosary a while back, for the first time in my life. I am drawn to it, and on days when I have failed to pray it due to time or to tiredness I miss it.

Yet, here's the strange part: the rosary hurts my brain. Painful sensations pulse right up in the right hand top side of my head. Additionally, my chest tightens. I am driven at times to get up and walk around as I pray it, in an attempt to "walk it off."

I note that if I rush through the prayers in rote fashion, without meditation, just ticking them off, these sensations abate. What I wind up doing is this: putting the pedal down, so to speak, until I get uncomfortable with the pain, then letting it up and ticking off the prayers until I feel more comfortable, then putting the pedal back down again. The rosary then becomes like a strange pain management program.

Now I don't like this part where I wind up backing off and going rote. But really the intensity of physical feeling that comes along kind of forces me to, out of fear mainly. To me this is kind of freaky and I don't know to make of it. I've never experienced anything remotely like this before, and it's unsettling. I've never been one to have any sort of these experiences related to prayer, churchgoing, or anything really.

Here are my questions:

1) Does this happen to anybody else?
2) Should I see a doctor?
3) Has anybody heard of such a thing elsewhere?

Thanks!

[/quote]

I'm just curious are you still having "problems" praying the Rosary perhaps you can pray the Rosary online

comepraytherosary.org/

You can also Pray the Rosary by viewing YouTube

youtube.com/user/mysaviormygod

God bless,
goforgoal

I found, long ago, a beautiful chanted Rosary. When I listen to it I usually have a deeper, more peaceful prayer experience and can meditate on the mysteries better than I can without. If you think it might help, PM me, I can email a copy to you.

Can I ask what physical posture you adopt when you start your prayer? Do you sit, stand, kneel? Hunch your shoulders a bit? Hold your arms outstretched? These things can make a difference to your physical comfort.

Yep, Goforgoal, I still have this problem whenever I pray the rosary. Pain, racing heart. I like to have room to stand and to pace around whenever I'm doing it. Walking it off, so to speak! It's an intense experience. On Wednesdays at my parish we have adorations and these have been problematic because I feel the need to get up and pace it off, so I'm shy to go. But I'll go and suffer it, and so I've come up with a new problem: sore biceps, because I'm gripping the pew in front of me with white knuckles the whole time. It's like going to the gym, quite a workout!

[quote="mystagogia, post:16, topic:142609"]
Yep, Goforgoal, I still have this problem whenever I pray the rosary. Pain, racing heart. I like to have room to stand and to pace around whenever I'm doing it. Walking it off, so to speak! It's an intense experience. On Wednesdays at my parish we have adorations and these have been problematic because I feel the need to get up and pace it off, so I'm shy to go. But I'll go and suffer it, and so I've come up with a new problem: sore biceps, because I'm gripping the pew in front of me with white knuckles the whole time. It's like going to the gym, quite a workout!

[/quote]

Hmmm, sounds like you're mighty tense. Try some deep breathing and relaxation exercises before you start and whenever you start to get headachey. See if it helps.

With all respect, I can't imagine your spouse or best friend would enjoy talking to you if they knew it caused you enormous physical pain to speak to them.

And I can't for the life of me think that God would particularly be pleased by the idea of you 'enduring' or 'suffering' to talk to Him in this way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.