The Rosary of the Holy Wounds

I haven’t heard much about this devotion, execpt that our Lord revealed it to Sr. Mary Martha Chambon and that a number of promises go with it for those who practice the devotion.
Sr. Mary’s cause for beatification was introduced in1937 — has she since then been declared a Saint?

It is a Chaplet .

THE LITTLE CHAPLET OF THE FIVE WOUNDS OF JESUS CRUCIFIED
from St. Alphonsus Liguori

I.
O my Lord Jesus Christ, I adore the wound in Thy left foot. I thank Thee for having suffered it for me with so much sorrow and with so much love. I compassionate Thy pain, and that of Thine afflicted Mother. And, by the merit of this sacred wound, I pray Thee to grant me the pardon of my sins, of which I repent with all my heart, because they have offended Thine infinite goodness. O sorrowing Mary, pray to Jesus for me.

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory, etc.

By all the wounds which Thou didst bear
With so much love and so much pain,
Oh, let a sinner’s prayer
Thy mercy, Lord, obtain!

II.
O my Lord Jesus Christ, I adore the wound in Thy right foot. I thank Thee for having suffered it for me with so much sorrow and with so much love. I compassionate Thy pain, and that of Thine afflicted Mother. And, by the merit of this sacred wound, I pray Thee to give me the strength not to fall into mortal sin for the future, but to persevere in Thy grace unto my death. O sorrowing Mary, pray to Jesus for me.

Thy mercy, Lord, obtain!

III.
O my Lord Jesus Christ, I adore the wound in Thy left hand. I thank Thee for having suffered it for me with so much sorrow and with so much love. I compassionate Thy pain, and that of Thine afflicted Mother. And, by the merit of this sacred wound, I pray Thee to deliver me from Hell, which I have so often deserved, where I could never love Thee more. O sorrowing Mary, pray to Jesus for me.

Thy mercy, Lord, obtain!

IV.
O my Lord Jesus Christ, I adore the wound in Thy right hand. I thank Thee for having suffered it for me with so much sorrow and with so much love. I compassionate Thy pain, and that of Thy most afflicted Mother. And, by the merit of this sacred wound, I pray Thee to give me the glory of Paradise, where I shall love Thee perfectly, and with all my strength. O sorrowing Mary, pray to Jesus for me.

Thy mercy, Lord, obtain!

V.
O my Lord Jesus Christ, I adore the wound in Thy side. I thank Thee for having willed, even after Thy death, to suffer this additional injury, without pain indeed, yet with consummate love. I compassionate Thine afflicted Mother, who alone felt all its pain. And, by the merit of this sacred wound, I pray Thee to bestow upon me the gift of holy love for Thee, that so I may ever love Thee in this life, and in the other, face to face, for all eternity, in Paradise. O sorrowing Mary, pray to Jesus for me.

Thy mercy, Lord, obtain!

A similar version and more info here…
fisheaters.com/5wounds.html

I’m not sure where Sr. Mary Martha Chambon comes into the Chaplet Of The Five Wounds, because it is a Passionist order chaplet. Maybe this is something different?

Also the above prayers for the chaplet were shortened to make it easier and more popular to recite.

In this form the Chaplet of the Five Wounds was found too long. To render its use somewhat easier, the Father General of the Congregation asked Pope Leo XII, viva voce, that, without losing the indulgences, it might henceforth suffice to say only a Glory be to the Father on each bead, with a Hail Mary between the sections.

There’s more on the chaplet here -

cpprovince.org/archives/thepassionist/chaplet-5wounds.php

:o Know wonder I didn’t hear much about it, it looks like I should have done some research before I asked. Following the link you gave it does mention “The Rosary of the Holy Wounds” and also that it was condemned in a decree from the Holy Office. I have not been able find out why, perhaps I should not ask and let it go. Then I Googled Sr. Mary Martha Chambon, and there are a lot of references to her along with different devotions including “The Rosary of the Holy Wounds”. :confused: :mad: What’s amazeing to me is, if these are not approved how can they be placed on Catholic Web Sites without the authority of the Church behind them? There must be a lot more to it than what I see, anyway thanks everyone for your help.

I don’t know about the “rosary” of the Holy Wounds, but the chaplet devotion was approved by the Church in the 1800’s.

I have just recently decided to become catholic and I have really gotten into the rosary of the holy wounds. As a former baptist, I find it difficult to pray to mary. So, temporarily, I have found an alternative to the Holy Rosary…which is, The Rosary of the Holy Wounds. I really believe this rosary prayer helps me feel calm and more in tune with God. If anyone has any suggestions on how i may start praying the Holy Rosary I’d really like to hear them. :slight_smile: Thanks and may God bless your day.

Yeah something that really helps me is to know that the first part “Hail Mary…etc” is quoted directly from the Bible.

“Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners…etc” is the same as asking anyone to pray for you because Mary has not died but is alive in heaven and able to pray like the rest of us.

And finally The Holy Rosary is not about focussing on Mary but about using the “Hail Mary” to help meditate on the sacred Mysteries of Jesus life. From what I understand while we say the Hail Mary we are in fact thinking about the mysteries.

I don’t have too many issues anymore about Mary because the 4th Commandment is “Honour your Parents”. Jesus came to fulfil the law so He would be happy for us to immitate Him by honouring His mum.

I hope this helps

God bless u2 dude

Hello, GO VISIT HOLY LOVE MINISTRY in Ohio! I was a Lutheran for about 26 years and became a Catholic 2 years ago. My Catholic name is St. Faustina. My 22 year old son and I went to HOLY LOVE MINISTRY,OHIO and I believe in my heart it IS a HOLY PLACE OF LOVE. Jesus’s present for the present day. We were there April 18, 19, 20, 2009 for Divine Mercy Weekend. I smelled the Blessed Mother’s fragrance on the site, and there were no flowers around the area. We got the Holy Water and I drank some, (the mothers salty tears because of abortion and people turning away from God) and brought alot home for friends and family. My son took a picture at 22:25 PM, April 18, before Jesus’s apparition, on his phone camara and there is a supernatural big white ball in the sky, with the sun behind it and a reflection on the ground of the sun and blue underneath that. (Mary’s signature is a circle). I took a picture that night with a throw away camara and in the sky there is a purple (the passion) round ball in the sky, with a white statue of Jesus in the field that glows. Yes there were flashes that shot over the people and they were not from camaras, because a camera flash is only a second and the other flashes shot over the crowd. Our group leader who goes there all the time showed my son and I her digital camara and through the lens we saw flashing lights around the white statues of Jesus and Mary that night. After the stations of the cross, I was thirsty and remembered I had an apple in my pocket from lunch. I was so excited because that apple was sooo good, sweet and juicy. (good fruit). We went to the “Lake of Tears” and prayed at each station of Mary’s sorrows, my son was crying at the fifth station where Mary looks at her son on the cross. The next day the photo of St. Joseph looks like a marble statue and another picture he looks real. We took a picture of Jesus inside with his hands up and his shadow is pointing down. St. Michael’s statue looks like he is lifting his sword to poke a woman walking by. A picture of Jesus’s white statue outside looks like He is crying on the picture. (Maybe Jesus is cryng, because this simple message of loving God and your neighbor, praying, loving and believing in Mary and Jesus’s United Hearts and Holy Love Ministry, like a trusting child is being discouraged). There was a priest from Columbia who said the statue of the Blessed Mother talked to him. I asked him what did she say? The blessed mother told him “I love you”, and he started to cry. A lady who lost her 41 year old husband that Jan., talked to her in a dream and said he was happy where he was, he loved her and their 3 children and he will be waiting for her. When I got home the graces continued. I sliced a tomato for a sandwich and when my son walked in the kitchen said “there is a cross inside the tomato”, We took pictures of the tomato to show friends. I had many circles on the inside, center of my windshield of my car. My son witness this also. I am encouraging people to go because I believe with all my heart, like a child who loves Jesus and Mary and is so grateful and thankful for all the joyfull blessings they always give us. Holy Love from Divine Love. Is He asking you to visit HIM???

The Bishop of Cleveland has issued a decree stating the apparitions and locutions of Maureen Sweeney Kyle are not supernatural in origin.

dioceseofcleveland.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1152&catid=1&Itemid=534

Instead of praying about His wounds, have you considered the Litany to the Sacred Heart of Jesus instead? Or the Holy Name of Jesus? Neither makes much mention of Mary and both are more widely prayed and even indulged according to the Handbook of Indulgences.

sacredheart.com/LitanyOfTheSacredHeart.htm

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/incab3c.htm

Maybe it’s just me, but thinking about our Lord’s wounds doesn’t do much to stir my devotion. But His Sacred Heart and Name, do!

Just curious, and not being disrespectful but did the Bishop of Cleveland ever go to Holy Love Ministry? Did he take pictures and witness it in person with an open heart? Praying and loving God does not go against the Catholic Church.

WOW ! This post has me seriously concerned !
For years, I’ve prayed what I believed to be the “Rosary of the Holy Wounds” - but it did NOT include the longer prayers listed in a reply here. I believe it’s to assist the Poor Souls in Purgatory. As I know it, the Rosary (chaplet but said on Rosary beads) is as follows:

(On the large beads) - Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Wounds of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, to heal the wounds of our souls.
(On the small beads) - My Jesus, Pardon and Mercy, through the Merits of Thy Sacred Wounds.

Will someone please clarify / advise on this? :confused:

Yeah, me too.:confused:

I googled the words and found it listed as, "Chaplet of the Holy Wounds."
Here is the link,
holysouls.com/chapletoftheholywounds.htm

Hope this helps.

[quote="Enigmaspot, post:15, topic:112925"]
I googled the words and found it listed as, "Chaplet of the Holy Wounds."
Here is the link,
holysouls.com/chapletoftheholywounds.htm

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Careful with that version. Check out the disclaimer at the end -

Disclaimer: This devotion is approved for private use only. No application to the Diocese or the Chruch has been made for public use. May God bless you and heal you and hide you in His Holy Wounds.

How can thinking about His Holy Wounds not stir any devotion in you? They were part of the price He paid for our salvation! Have you never been stabbed with something sharp? Have you never carried a heavy load that cut into your shoulder and caused you some pain? "By His wounds you were healed"1 Peter 2:24 Loving and venerating these Holy Wounds which Jesus’ body still bears has always been a Catholic devotion.

The disclaimer is in error, or at least inaccurate. According to “The Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices” by Ann Ball (published by Our Sunday Visitor), the Chaplet was given to a sister of the Visitation Order; it was approved for use by that Order in 1912, and it was approved by the Apostolic Penitentiary (the tribunal responsible for the Sacrament of Reconciliation) in 1924 for all the faithful.

I’m puzzled as to why it is credited to St. Alphonsus Liguori in post 2, but then claimed as a Passionist devotion. St. Alphonsus founded the Redemptorists. Was he ever a Passionist?

Here is what the Holy Office said:
“The decree of the Holy Office, therefore, seems to refer to a certain new form of devotion, called the Rosary of the Holy Wounds or the Rosary of Mercy. This new Chaplet, consisting of ejaculatory prayers only, and claiming many magnificent promises from God, was achieving much publicity during the period shortly before the decree.”

They did not approve this as such for the “promises” and “indulgences” it was said to have
had. The approval was for the chaplet only. But this dosen’t mean that the prayers are
not acceptable. The prayers are beautiful and are just great in themselves. It simply means that they have not been officially recognized to be propagated with special blessings of the church. But in themselves, they are valid and good prayers. Or they are private prayers which you have chosen to pray. Anyone can make up their own prayers to say and in fact is good to do since they will mean more and will come from the heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.