The Rosary.

I was asked by protestants about the rosary, they were saying that it was like chanting and the usual where in the bible is this or that about rosary or Mary.

I don’t know if they even say the Our Father or if they rarely say it, they seem to just pray in the manner of “thanks for this and that, please help me with this etc.”

Thanks.

The rosary is the prayer of devotion to honor & venerate Mary. It was Our Lady of Fatima who implored us to pray the rosary.

You can counter that it isn’t like chanting because we aren’t using sounds or words with the idea that these hold power in themselves. Compare with Buddhist or Hindu chants, which are sometimes unintelligible, are believed to hold spiritual and psychological power, and/or can go on for hours. This isn’t meant as an “us vs. them” thing, it’s just to see the difference.

Rather, the rosary is a meditation on certain events of Jesus and Mary’s lives by means of reciting certain prayers. As for having a biblical basis, you can answer that the rosary per se does not have “biblical support” but the events being meditated upon are indeed present in the Bible, specifically in the New Testament.

Regarding your other question, Protestants do actually say the “Our Father” but perhaps a slightly different version sometimes (for example, using “debts” and “debtors” instead of “trespasses” and “those who trespass/trespassers”) with the doxology added.

Hope this helps!

Ask them to provide a location in Scripture for the “bible alone” or “faith alone”. Ask them where in the New Testament does it call itself “The new testament”? :smiley:

You can provide the scriptures for Rosary. Though they will likely keep pushing on the “chanting” thing. Its foreign to them. And if its foreign then by default its evil or non-Biblical. I’ve heard references to scripture regarding repeating mindless prayers over and over. Except again, they are taking something out of context. And I would agree if its mindless chanting then yes its pretty much a waste of time. However, when we pray the Rosary we are not doing it mindlessly. We are meditating on Jesus’ life and stepping thru the mysteries of faith.

I’ve begun to respond to non-Catholics regarding their questions as follows in a very calm and loving manner… “You are asking me about my faith (or devotional prayer, etc). I’m happy to explain it to you but I’m not going to debate it. I believe it and have no duty to convince you necessarily. So if you’re willing to listen to my answer to your question, then I’m happy to provide you that answer. If I don’t know the exact answer I’ll research it and provide it to you.”

Two things often happen …they either walk away as they realize I’m not going to argue/ debate if that’s their motive OR they actually listen (rarely).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.