The Rosary.

What do you think about praying The Rosary at different times throughout the day? I am very intrigued by Muslims and their 5 daily Salat prayers. The Rosary consists of 5 decades and 5 mysteries. Would it be permissible to pray each Mystery at different times? I feel as though this would be a good way to stay closer to the faith.

Thoughts? Comments?

As far as I am concerned, any way you pray, any time, any how, is good. Pray on, Christian soldier!

You could, and it’s very noble to want to pray throughout the day, but I don’t recommend the Rosary for that [read below for my substitute recommendation], and here’s why: indulgences.

The Rosary is an indulgenced prayer. If you’re unfamiliar with indulgences, they are a remission of temporal punishment due to sin that are a free gift of the Church, coming from the infinite merits of Christ and His Saints.

Unlike satisfactions which can be applied to oneself, another, or the Holy Souls of Purgatory (at the mercy and wisdom of God’s discretion), indulgences may only be applied to the one performing the act (you, in this case) or the Holy Souls in Purgatory (again at God’s discretion).

catholic.com/quickquestions/do-the-indulgences-granted-for-praying-the-rosary-require-that-all-of-the-mysteries-a

This explains that among other requirements, the 5 decades must be prayed continuously.

Do not scoff at indulgences, if you are unaware of them! The Holy Souls will thank you with their prayers. Imagine, if you could obtain a plenary indulgence instead of a partial indulgence, and grant them remission from their guilt!

Instead, I encourage you to practice the Angelus. It is presented here.
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/Angelus.htm

The Angelus is a prayer from the Medieval period, and it is traditionally prayed thrice daily. Once at sunrise, once at midday, once in the evening. This varies from place to place but one way you could do it is simply pray it at 6 AM, 12 PM, and 6 PM.
It normally is sounded by three sets of three bells, followed with a whole lot of bells. However, it is largely forgotten outside of religious communities (every monastery I have been to still uses it daily)

It is an excellent way to reflect on the salvation that God has offered us!

Pax Christi!

So do you say the entire thing or just the Hail Mary parts?

Pax Christi!

Pray however you like, but the Rosary is best prayed in one sitting (or kneeling, I suppose).

There are many litanies that take five minutes or so and can be sprinkled throughout the day.

The Angelus is also a great suggestion.

God bless!

Also, in the way Muslims prostrate themselves during Salat, what would you say to doing a similar prostration during the Angelus?

I dont think so

you can also consider little offices.

I had always heard that if you start praying the Rosary you don’t stop in the middle of it, but that you finish it. (Talking about one set of the mysteries here- joyful, sorrowful, glorious etc.) However, I have heard a priest say you can split that up during the day too if you didn’t have the time to say it all at once, so I’m not sure about my first statement. I do think though its better to spend praying the rosary all at once. Some pray the joyful in the morning, sorrowful at the 3 o clock hour and glorious in the evening. Others will assign a set of myseteries for the different days of the week, such as joyful mysteries said on Mondays and Thursdays, Sorrowful on Tuesdays and Fridays…etc.

I think the important thing is that you are meditating on the mysteries BUT If you want to pray 7 times a day like it is instructed in the Old Testament, there is always the breviary, the Divine Liturgy or Liturgy of the Hours which I heard all priests and religious are instructed to pray. If you go to a monastery you will probably see that they gather for prayer 7 times a day. There is a book that lay people can buy- I borrowed mine from the local church as they had extra copies- that once you learn how to navigate it (its kind of tricky) you can pray exactly those prayers the Church is praying for that day. I highly recommend it!

If you are interested in the Divine Office, I would recommend the app by Surge Works.
It’s expensive to begin with, tho much less so than the books.
I love it because there are recordings of the prayers, with hymns (they pick beautiful music) that make it seem like you are praying in community. You can use earbuds for privacy if you need to.
It’s good for computer, iPad or iPhone. Not sure about androids, I’m a mac, you see. No PC in my house!

Oh, duh, I forgot about the Divine Liturgy. It is a lot more intense, as it’s lengthier and requires a book, but it is wonderful. The monastics do it every day.

As for prostrating yourself, as far as I know that’s totally up to you.

Edit: Oops! I just realized you meant “the entire thing” with regards to the Angelus.
Yes, pray the entire thing as it is written there, from “The Angel…” down to the final “Amen.”

You pray that whole thing thrice, daily.

The Divine Liturgy is available online divineoffice.org/

I think he should start little office,any kind before he starts using loth. this is proper growth.

Start off with only the morning and evening prayers. Or just the readings.

Ok.

The easiest to begin with is “Night Prayer” as it is a simple seven day cycle that repeats. It even comes in a little book which is less expensive than the one volume “Christian Prayer.”

It is recommended by St. Louis Marie de Montfort that we pray the Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries at different times of the day, and not all at once. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.