the Rosary

I was always taught there were three mysteries to the rosary. Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious. I cam across a new mystery called the Luminious can you tell me more about the rosary mystery.

Introduced by Pope John Paul II two years ago to celebrate the year of the rosary.

1. The baptism of the Lord
  2. Christ’s self-manifestation at the wedding feast at Cana
  3. The proclamation of the kingdom and call to conversion
  4. The Transfiguration
  5. The institution of the Eucharist

what day of the week are you supposed to say this set of mysteries.

Thursday.

But you are free to say a different set if you feel the need to meditate on them. I am partial to the joyful mysteries.

[quote=gs7959]what day of the week are you supposed to say this set of mysteries.
[/quote]

Hi,
Mon & Thurs - Joyful
Tues & Fri- Sorrowful
Wed & Sun- Glorious
Sat- Luminous

The new mysteries were introduced so that our Lords public life would be included, and the Rosary would be complete.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Yours in Jesus , Mary and Joseph

John

Actually,
Monday: Joyful
Tuesday: Sorrowful
Wednesday: Glorious
Thursday: Luminous
Friday: Sorrowful
Saturday: Joyful
Sunday: Glorious

Oh my, I think we need a quote (I just love cut and paste!) This is taken from John Paul 2 aposotlic letter on the rosary in 2002

According to current practice, Monday and Thursday are dedicated to the “joyful mysteries”, Tuesday and Friday to the “sorrowful mysteries”, and Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday to the “glorious mysteries”. Where might the “mysteries of light” be inserted? If we consider that the “glorious mysteries” are said on both Saturday and Sunday, and that Saturday has always had a special Marian flavor, the second weekly meditation on the “joyful mysteries”, mysteries in which Mary’s presence is especially pronounced, could be moved to Saturday. Thursday would then be free for meditating on the “mysteries of light”.

It’s interesting that the bishops have the rosary and marian metals on their agenda this week. We will have to see what they have to say.

Deacon Tony

the days of the week to say the various mysteries are suggestions, not laws, and the entire letter the pope wrote to introduce these mysteries is very instructive, as is his suggested method for praying the rosary. somebody here with a better memory than mine can direct you to his writings. Since I usually pray the entire rosary during my morning walk time, I pray them “in order”, between the joyful and sorrowful mysteries. this has had the effect of extending my walk time and distance, which is good for my health, too.

[quote=John Russell Jr]Hi,
The new mysteries were introduced so that our Lords public life would be included, and the Rosary would be complete.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Yours in Jesus , Mary and Joseph

John
[/quote]

Exactly John. Originally the 3 decades (150) Hail Marys total) were “modelled” after the Psalter (150 Psalms) that is prayed in the Liturgy of the Hours. However, that left a big gap in our Lord’s life: we went from his birth right to the agony in the garden. The Luminous Mysteries concern His public ministries, and fill in that gap.

Do you have to be Catholic to pray the rosary and is the eucharist found in the bible if so where… I’ve never read it through to be honest I’m still in Gen…AGAIN:o

[quote=leschornmom]Do you have to be Catholic to pray the rosary and is the eucharist found in the bible if so where… I’ve never read it through to be honest I’m still in Gen…AGAIN:o
[/quote]

Hi,
Yes, anyone can pray the rosary. With the eucharist try reading John chap.16 for starters.

Yours in Jesus, Mary & Joseph,

John
Saints are just sinners who keep trying.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I’m guessing, based on what I would have suggested, that John Russell Jr meant to send you to John 6 not John 16. In particular, check out John 6:51-58, but basically the whole chapter is relevant.

[quote=Pug]I’m guessing, based on what I would have suggested, that John Russell Jr meant to send you to John 6 not John 16. In particular, check out John 6:51-58, but basically the whole chapter is relevant.
[/quote]

Hi,
Woops. Thanks.

[quote=leschornmom]Do you have to be Catholic to pray the rosary and is the eucharist found in the bible if so where… I’ve never read it through to be honest I’m still in Gen…AGAIN:o
[/quote]

You don’t have to be Catholic to pray the Rosary. There are some anglicans who pray the Rosary.

The Eucharist is found in John Chapter 6. It is also found in 1Corinthians10, 1Corinthians11, and in the last supper.

When praying the Rosary do you say which one your saying and what you want to dedicate it for or just say the Rosary and keep the dedication in mind.

[quote=gs7959]When praying the Rosary do you say which one your saying and what you want to dedicate it for or just say the Rosary and keep the dedication in mind.
[/quote]

I usually announce the intentions for which I am praying aloud, before I start praying the Rosary. As far as I’m concerned (I’m no authority), you don’t necessarily have to keep them on the top of your head while praying (as that could hinder your meditation on the mysteries). Before each mystery I also announce the mystery aloud and read a Scripture verse in order to focus my meditations. If you haven’t prayed the Rosary before, you could think about getting the free “Virtual Rosary” program. It’s a pretty pain-free way of praying, as the computer does all the work and lets you know where you are. It also provides various Scripture verses as well. All you have to do is click “Amen” at the end of each prayer. (No, I’m not affiliated with the program :slight_smile: )

You can download it here.

I want to say thanks a lot all the inof I have gotten helps

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.