The Sabbath....and Sunday?

Since we all know the Ten Commandments I have always found it interesting how the Sabbath got changed from Sat. to Sun.

Back in 325 A.D. or 326 A.D. Consitine (a ruler) changed the “Day of Worship” from Sat to Sun. Yet, if we look at the Ten Commandments, God says, “Remember the Sabbath…”

For over 300 years before the change Catholics and Jews worshiped on the Sabbath and it was a day of Rest, as found in Gen.

Jesus, himself, “Worshiped on the Sabbath”. He also said, that he was “Lord of the Sabbath”. Paul and the other Aposiles worshiped on the Sabbath.

True Jesus was risen on Sunday, the first day of the week. Yet, even for the 40 days after he was risen and was seen by many, Jesus (as far as I know) never told anyone to change the day of worship.

True the Calendar has changed some, the years, months, but not the “Days” of the week.

I’m glad the Catholic Church has Sat. Mass. For some reason I just feel this is when I should worship as I tend to look at Jesus as my example. (this is not to say that I haven’t ever attended a Sunday Mass, I did for many years growing up.) But there is something special about “Worshiping” the same Day Jesus did.

I would really like to know what others feel about this topic.

your theology is wrong and your history is wrong
the Sabbath is still Saturday
The Lord’s Day is Sunday, and has been since Jesus Christ rose from the dead on Sunday, you have a problem with the Church observing and re-collecting the Resurrection on that day, your complaint is with Jesus Christ so take it up with Him. Constantine had nothing to do with it, other than legalize practice of the Christian religion in the Roman Empire and ending the persecution of Christians.

**The Sabbath commandment, as originally given, said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about worship, nor was it understood to be about worship.

It was about a cessation of labor–a work stoppage and enforced rest that applied even to one’s slaves and farm animals (read the Biblical text).

The very word “Sabbath” means “cessation.”

Services were held in the Tabernacle, in the Temples, and from the time of the exile onwards in Synagogues not just on the Sabbath (which term also applied to the feast days) but TWICE DAILY. To this day Orthodox, Conservatives, and even some Reform Synagogues have TWICE DAILY services.

Now, the enforced leisure of the Sabbath allowed for longer services–but again, AFTER the Exile.

Because, ,you see, the Synagogue is a product of the First Exile.

For the first 300 years, Christians had no trouble with attending the Eucharist in the wee hours of Sunday morning, and then treating Sunday as an ordinary working day.

What would you say if you could find an old, continuing community of Jewish Christians? What would you say about their practices?

Guess what. There is JUST such a community in India. They trace their ancestry to a colony of Jewish Christians that moved to India in the 100’s. They had NOTHING WHATEVER to do with that nasty ole pope feller–or Constantine, for that matter.

They have a hierarchy, the seven sacraments–and their main day of worship is SUNDAY.

Think about it.**

But there is something special about “Worshiping” the same Day Jesus did.

As I said, Synagogues held daily services, morning AND evening. And where did you get the idea that Jesus worshipped only only one day in the week?

Can you show me in the Bibe where Jesus said The Lord’s Day in on Sunday?

No I don’t have a Problem with the Sabbath being Sat. I DO know for a fact that it is on Sat.

The Lord himself (Jesus) said He was “Lord of the Sabbath”. True Jesus rose on the first day of the Week. Please look at all the “history” of the Sabbath and Sunday (Sunday being changed by law as a day of worship, from the Sabbath Worship and Rest Day) You will find many at the bottom of this page. Or you can look up the “History” of it on the internet or go to your Library and you’ll find it in the “History” type books too.

Now **no where **did I say in my posting that I was against anyone going to church to Worship on Sunday, nor am I against the Catholic Church. (after all I am a Catholic).

I also stated that I had attened Church on Sunday, But that I Enjoy and that there is something Special (to me) Worshiping on Sat In the Catholic Church, worshiping on the day that Jesus did. He worshiped on Sat, in the Synagogues.

No where in my posting did I say anything against the Catholic Church or the Sunday Mass. (In some Catholic Churchs there is Mass Daily, I don’t see these as wrong either) I just stated my thoughts and feelings about How I Feel about going to Mass (at the Catholic Church) on Sat. and was wondering what others thoughts were.

True Jesus with out a doubt worshiped his Father more than one day a week. Like I’m sure the rest of us do.

He taught people on other days of the week, one only has to follow his travels and we can see that. But Jesus is the one who said, that he was **“Lord of the Sabbath”. **And he is the one that said for us to “follow and obey His Fathers Commandments” Like He did as an example to us.

I have no idea where you were comming from with your comments on the Pope. (If you have a problem with the Pope, I’m sorry.) I happen to like and Respect the Pope.

I thank you for your reply as I did ask for your thoughts.

First off, we do not use Scripture Alone, but the Church uses both Tradition and Scripture, in teaching. Therefore, you won’t find anything about Sunday becoming the Lords Day.

However, the tradition and history of the Early Church, shows that
the early Church began to observe Sunday as the Sabbath, as early as 60 AD.

For a better explanation of how this change was made, go here;

catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9902fea1.asp

God Bless
Jim

Yes, the commandment says, “Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.”

Questions:

1. WHAT did the commandment require in order to “keep the Sabbath Holy”? Think carefully before you answer.

2. Is there LESS grace or MORE grace since Christ came?

3. What day do we Christians get to keep in an UNholy and profane manner that we may live according to our own desires?

bpbasilphx,

The posting of this subject, if you will re-read my first posting isn’t to cause a “Heated Debate” and if this is how you’ve read it, (maybe due to the way I wrote it?) then that is Not my intention at all, please let me make that clear to both yourself and puzzleannie. If you thought that was what I was doing, then I must say I am very sorry, that was not my intentions.

Just to set the record straight…

1. I **Do Not **have a problem with the Catholic Church worshiping on Sunday. (no where in my post did I say that.)

However I did say I Enjoy worshiping on Sat.(Sabbath) By the way the Cathoic Church is who Provides this service on Sat and because they do Provide Mass on that day I happen to enjoy going to church on Sat, which, Yes we do seem to agree it is still the Sabbath. No, I don’t fault anyone or the Cathoic Church for having Mass on Sunday. I see Nothing Wrong with it. Let’s get that point clear, so there is no misunderstanding.

I didn’t post this to get into a debate! I did ask however what others “thoughts” were.

I as a Catholic Christain, would never dream of down trodding on a fellow Christain, (including our seperated brother’s and sister’s) instead I would try to guide them and uplift them in their search for truth, if I thought their thoughts were in error. Because I am not above mistakes myself and I just might learn something myself that I may have over looked or not fully understood by “Helping or Guiding” them.

Question # 3.

There is NO Day that we as true followers of Jesus get to keep UNholy and in a profane maner.

#2. Our Salvation is through Gods Son, Jesus, who came to save this world from our sins.

Is there Less or More Grace since Jeuse came? (I’m not real sure what your thought’s were with this question or what angel you were thinking, so I’ll try the best I can to explain where I’m comming from.)

If you were comparing Jesus as the “Lamb of God”, to the Old Testament Times when they had to attone for their sins and use animals as a sacrifice to God, then I would say we have More Grace, since Jesus is the “Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.” and no animal sacrifice could ever do that.

#1.

Exodus 20: 8-11
** Remember to keep Holy the Sabbath Day. Six days you may labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you. In six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD has blessed the Sabbath Day and made it Holy.**

Exodus 31: 12-18
The LORD said to Moses, “You must also tell the Isrelites: Take care to keep my Sabbaths, for that is to be the token between you and me throughout the generations, to show that it is I, the LORD, who make you holy. Therefore, you must keep the Sabbath as something sacred. Whoever desecrates it shall be put to death. If anone does work on that day, he must be rooted out of his people. Six days there are for doing work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of complete rest, sacred to the LORD. Anone who does work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. So shall the Isreaelites observe the Sabbath, keeping it throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. Between me and the Israelites it is to be an everlasting token; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, but on the seventh day he rested at his ease.” When the LORD had finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Commandments, the stone tablets inscribed by God’s own finger.

Websters Concise Dictionary:
Holy: 1. recognized as sacred by religious use or authority: holy ground. 2. spiritually pure: a holy love. 3. venerated as sacred: a holy relic.

Mark 2: 27
Then he said to them: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. That is why the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

Matthew 12: 8
The Son of Man is indeed Lord of the Sabbath.

Luke 4: 16
He came to Nazareth where he had been reared, and entering the synagogue on the Sabbath as he was in the habit of doing, he stood up to do the reading.

There are many more places in the Bible where even Jesus first chosen (the Apostles) taught Jews and Gentiles both on the Sabbath. (Sat.)

This is why I Enjoy going to Mass on Sat. (Sabbath).

Just because I enjoy it and the Catholic Church has Mass on Sat/Sabbath. does not mean that I have anything against Sunday Worship, The Day Jesus had risen on.

I think of Sunday, the Day Jesus Rose on as a very Special and Holy Day, known today as the Lords Day. It was on this day, Sunday, the first day of the Week, that Jesus, fulfilled the Scriptures saying He would be risen on the thrid day, and he was.

Does this mean I never worship on Sunday? Of course not.

It’s just there is something special about the Sabbath to me, the fact that God wrote the Commandments with His Own Finger, and the fact that Jesus and the Apostles taught and worshiped on the Sabbath, (Even after Jesus had assended to Heaven. The Apostles contiuned to teach on the Sabbath to both Jews and Gentiles for many years.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.