The Sabbath day

I am struggling with this: How do we as Christians live out this Commandment from God the Father in this rat race of the 21st Century?
{20:8} “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
{20:9} You shall labor six days, and do all your work,
{20:10} but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. You shall not do any work in it, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your livestock, nor your stranger who is within your gates;
{20:11} for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy.

[quote="tonyg, post:1, topic:315193"]
I am struggling with this: How do we as Christians live out this Commandment from God the Father in this rat race of the 21st Century?
{20:10} but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. You shall not do any work in it, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your livestock, nor your stranger who is within your gates;
{20:11} for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy.

[/quote]

Tony,

For Christians, the Jewish Sabbath is no longer. Sunday, the Lord's Day, the eighth day, is the fulfillment of the Sabbath. The OT commandment for a Saturday Sabbath no longer applies. With Sunday, the Lord's Day, the Day of Resurrection, we are to rest, take leisure, avoid undue work, take time with family and attend Mass.

Read the Catechism below

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm

I actually DO labor for six days (Monday through Saturday) and rest on the seventh (Sunday). And I used to have a calendar with weeks that ran Mon thru Sun.

[/quote]

Remember when Jesus is on the Cross he says that the law has been fulfilled. With that the Old Testament its fulfilled and new things are set in place. For example, the lamb was no longer the necessary sacrifice, now its the Body and Blood of Christ. 2nd, in the OT cetain foods were prohibited from eating, in the NT Jesus said, all foods are cleaned. Circumcision made way for Baptism, and the Sabbath (saturday) made way to the Lord's Day which is Sunday.

Not only do you have Biblical references were the apostles met on sundays, but the early Church Fathers also speak about how the Christians celebrated on Sunday and not on Saturdays

I guess what I’m asking is: If we are buying or selling – operating any type of business – running from place to place with our children to participate in activities outside of the family – not going to mass or services because we want to go to the beach or go skiing; things like that? I’m talking in today’s hectic society. Am I out of touch, or missing the point?

[/quote]

We are required, by the command of Christ "Do this, as often as you do it, in memory of me" to attend mass ritually. We are counseled to avoid all servile labor on the Lord's day. This is not a law of enslavement, but the law of love. Should we not desire to be with the One we love? Love desires the good of the other. In the case of Christ, it is that He be honored, worshipped and adored on each Lord's day. It is not that difficult to find a mass no matter where you go. And if there is no mass there, the true presence of Christ is not there. Why go there?

[quote="tonyg, post:5, topic:315193"]
I guess what I’m asking is: If we are buying or selling – operating any type of business – running from place to place with our children to participate in activities outside of the family – not going to mass or services because we want to go to the beach or go skiing; things like that? I’m talking in today’s hectic society. Am I out of touch, or missing the point?

[/quote]

Tony,

Read the Catechism, link provided on my previous post. The Catholic Church makes it pretty easy in most locations to attend Mass on Sunday (or Saturday evening). Need to do as Christ asks and not as the world asks. One has Truth and one does not. Should attend Sunday Mass out of love and not strict obligation...IMHO. Or in other words, it should be clear that Sunday Mass is the priority on Sunday, second to everything else.

It's easy to get distracted by the world. Don't allow yourself to...this is what God is asking of you. Follow him and his Son.

[quote="Porknpie, post:2, topic:315193"]
For Christians, the Jewish Sabbath is no longer. Sunday, the Lord's Day, the eighth day, is the fulfillment of the Sabbath.

[/quote]

The Creation account established the week as a 7 day cycle. The NT designates the day after the seventh (Sabbath) as the first day.

Matthew 28.1, "Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb."

Tony,

The questions of what or what not to do on God's holy day has always been a tricky one in the life of God's people.
Here are a couple of the important biblical principles to bear in mind:

1. The iteration of one holy day in seven within the Decalogue underscores the universal and perpetual nature of the sabbath (rest) as binding and necessary and points to the pattern of God's work in creation and His observance of a holy day of rest.
    Exodus 20, "Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

2. Just like marriage, God established six days of labor and one holy day of sabbath (rest) for the blessing of His creatures. "the LORD blessed" the sabbath day to be a means of precious opportunity for men to lay aside the yolk of daily grind and the preoccupation of secular affairs, and to gather with other Christians in drawing near to God in special acts of worship.
    Isaiah 58, "“If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day,
    and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the Lord honorable;
    if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly;
    then you shall take delight in the Lord,
    and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth:
    I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

We now have "a Sabbath Rest prepared for us" in Christ.

Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath not vice versa. He demonstrated that by breaking it. We do not observe the Jewish Sabbath anymore but we do rest on the Lord's day to worship and in thanksgiving to him, the day of his resurrection, the eighth day - Sunday.

[quote="cap76, post:8, topic:315193"]
The Creation account established the week as a 7 day cycle. The NT designates the day after the seventh (Sabbath) as the first day.

Matthew 28.1, "Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb."

[/quote]

The Lord's Day is both the first day of the week and the "eighth day". Catechism below...

2174 Jesus rose from the dead "on the first day of the week."104 Because it is the "first day," the day of Christ's Resurrection recalls the first creation. Because it is the "eighth day" following the sabbath,105 it symbolizes the new creation ushered in by Christ's Resurrection. For Christians it has become the first of all days, the first of all feasts, the Lord's Day (he kuriake hemera, dies dominica) Sunday:
[INDENT]
We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.106[/INDENT]

[/quote]

Jesus Himself is our Sabbath rest, and it is He we need to enter.

Heb 4:1-11

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest is still open, let us take care that none of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2 For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

"As in my anger I swore,
'They shall not enter my rest,'"

though his works were finished at the foundation of the world. 4 For in one place it speaks about the seventh day as follows, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." 5 And again in this place it says, "They shall not enter my rest." 6 Since therefore it remains open for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7 again he sets a certain day — "today" — saying through David much later, in the words already quoted,

"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts."

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not speak later about another day. 9 So then, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; 10 for those who enter God's rest also cease from their labors as God did from his. 11 Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.

Today, we need to hear His voice, and not harden our hearts. Sabbath, or resting from our labors, means walking in His grace, by the power of His Spirit, rather than working under our own labors. Each day can be a Sabbath rest for us, as we walk by faith, not by sight. We wear ourselves out because we are ego driven, and instead of resting quietly in Him, we spin ourselves out trying to "do" instead of "be".

During this Lenten season, we can strive to enter His rest, by ceasing from our ego driven attitudes. When we let Him be Lord, instead of ego, we will find peace and rest.

I often work Sundays, and must find other time during the week to attend Mass and do my devotional activities. But every day is a chance to practice entering His rest.

[/quote]

Jesus Himself is our Sabbath rest, and it is He we need to enter.

Heb 4:1-11

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest is still open, let us take care that none of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2 For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

"As in my anger I swore,
'They shall not enter my rest,'"

though his works were finished at the foundation of the world. 4 For in one place it speaks about the seventh day as follows, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." 5 And again in this place it says, "They shall not enter my rest." 6 Since therefore it remains open for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7 again he sets a certain day — "today" — saying through David much later, in the words already quoted,

"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts."

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not speak later about another day. 9 So then, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; 10 for those who enter God's rest also cease from their labors as God did from his. 11 Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.

Today, we need to hear His voice, and not harden our hearts. Sabbath, or resting from our labors, means walking in His grace, by the power of His Spirit, rather than working under our own labors. Each day can be a Sabbath rest for us, as we walk by faith, not by sight. We wear ourselves out because we are ego driven, and instead of resting quietly in Him, we spin ourselves out trying to "do" instead of "be".

During this Lenten season, we can strive to enter His rest, by ceasing from our ego driven attitudes. When we let Him be Lord, instead of ego, we will find peace and rest.

I often work Sundays, and must find other time during the week to attend Mass and do my devotional activities. But every day is a chance to practice entering His rest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.