The Sacred Heart of Jesus

Can you pray to the Sacred Heart of Jesus informally (without reciting a memorized prayer)? And you pray to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by praying to Jesus with the thought of His Sacred Heart, right?
Thank you

Yes, of course! We should always do that because when we receive Communion or adore the Blessed Sacrament, every part of Jesus (including His heart) is there for us :slight_smile:

Set and formal prayers are good, but we should speak to Him often as we would with a friend. I’m sure that you wouldn’t always use a script to speak to your mom, right ;)?

Ok for sure to pray to The Sacred Heart in your own words.

And you pray to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by praying to Jesus with the thought of His Sacred Heart, right?

Sure, this is a way of praying to The Sacred Heart through an image produced by the imagination. It is ok too to pray to The Sacred Heart before an image or artwork of some kind of The Sacred Heart of Jesus. St Teresa of Avila did use a favourite artwork image of Jesus to pray before at times, as she said she did not have a very active imagination. Anything that will help us to raise our heart and mind to Jesus is ok.
A comment: These are not any sort of idols as we understanding that they merely remind us of a reality we cannot yet perceive. An idol is something that a person believes has an intrinsic and independant very real life of its own.

Thank you both for your replies. They really helped me.

:thumbsup:

If I can humbly refer you to “Miracles of the Sacred Heart” an ebook that I wrote that describes a hundred miracles that were granted by Our Lord for those who take advantage of His generosity and ask Him through His Sacred Heart.

I wrote the ebook to give you encouragement and persistence to your prayer life. Spiritual, physical and financial miracles are described. Great for Catholics and all those who want to know about the promises made about the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

Go to my website, catholicchurchsaints.com for more information.

stjoe4u2

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.