The Saddening, Dangerous Remarks of Franklin Graham

On July 17, Franklin Graham made some deeply disturbing remarks on his Facebook page. This man who was once known for his acts of mercy and love through Samaritan’s Purse (an organization he still heads up, which still does tremendous work to ease suffering around the world) continued his growing political and xenophobic tendencies and actively advocated that Muslims no longer be allowed to immigrate to the United States.
In part, he wrote:

[quote]We should stop all immigration of Muslims to the U.S. until this threat with Islam has been settled. Every Muslim that comes into this country has the potential to be radicalized–and they do their killing to honor their religion and Muhammad. During World War 2, we didn’t allow Japanese to immigrate to America, nor did we allow Germans. Why are we allowing Muslims now? Do you agree? Let your Congressman know that we’ve got to put a stop to this and close the flood gates.

Let’s take that apart, piece by piece.
[/quote]

patheos.com/blogs/rebeccaflorencemiller/2015/07/the-saddening-dangerous-remarks-of-franklin-graham/

Why are the remarks of Mr. Trump acceptable, and Mr. Graham’s, not?

ICXC NIKA

Maybe cause Trump has no religious authority?

We were in a declared war with the Japanese and Germans which is different than what is happening today. I think that all immigrants need to be properly screened. I read that his sister was a far better speaker and evangelist than he was/is and that he fought for the position his father filled so well.

I think the problem of radicalism is not so much as the “outsiders” coming in, but the mentally ill that are already here.

In the 50, and 60’s mental hospitals were pretty much closed down to save the government money. Now the mentally ill are free to roam and be walking time bombs. Just try getting a person off the streets and committed. A higher percent of mass killings are not done by Muslems per sa, but Americans that have gone over the edge.

1. The country has not declared a war since 1941 (probably because the Congress would never agree) but we are definitely fighting.

2). How much of that mental illness stems from the drug culture that has become more and more acceptable?

ICXC NIKA

Not sure I understand the problem.

During World War II, the FDR administration, to its shame, also put Japanese-Americans in internment camps, as well as German-Americans (the latter fact not too well known). I hope we’ve learned a little since then. Further, not only Muslims can be radicalized and join ISIS or Al-Qaeda, but alienated youth of Christian and Jewish faiths, as well as atheists, are also vulnerable to propaganda. Should we ban all immigration then?

As I’ve noted before, Franklin Graham has a tendency to go to extremes in some of his remarks, generally not so bad as certain other Evangelicals, however. I don’t know how much influence he has on (young) people, but such comments are far from positive, let alone impractical. How would such a policy of exclusion be enforced?

In my estimation, Franklin Graham and Donald Trump, despite apparent differences, when it comes to their extremist views, are two peas in a pod.

You can thank President Reagan for closing all the psychiatric hospitals and wards in our country. When he became President health care was real real low on his priority list - he just felt that good health care for our country was not all that important as far as he was concerned. So he signed a bill into law and closed all Psychiatric hospitals and wards and that action released all the mentally ill patients in to our country. Many of them became homeless. Since Pres. Reagan was in office I don’t remember any president trying to do their best to make sure our nations citizens have the best health care. So scarey!

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has led the fight on behalf of mental health institutions and patients for the past 40 years.

Well, there’s that whole bikini incident that just happened in France. I think his point is that stuff like that will increase in the US as the Muslim population increases.

Also, calls to limit freedom of speech; that is, to slander Muhammad.

I don’t exactly know what’s wrong with limiting Muslim migration to decrease the chance of radicalism.

There is no problem with Graham’s position. Its not xenophobic, it is simply an effective way to reduce the threat.

I think it’s a little more complicated than that. You might peruse the article “How Release of Mental Patients Began” by Richard D Lyons Published in October of 1984–you can find it online at the NY Times website.

The peace of Christ,
Mark

I agree. How often do you hear of Episcopalian extremists, Murderous Methodists, Kamikaze Catholics, Pernicious Presbyterians, Luciferian Lutherans. or Inglorious Baptists going around killing people in the name of their religion?

Every time someone kills an abortion doctor. A few other occurrences, as well. Christian terrorism is very much a thing although its far less common and is usually a lone wolf act.

We also shouldn’t ignore the reasons why people join radical Islamic groups like ISIS in the first place. It’s easy to just says ‘it’s because their religion promotes such actions’ and ignore the various contributing factors. There’s more to it than just religious.

Also, I laughed at Inglorious Baptists. That’d make a great band name.

How big do you think the threat is from Muslim immigrants?

As Donald Trump might say, I assume some of them are good people.

I agree with him

Oh Donald… :shrug:

When was the last time this even happened?

It is contrary to the Constitution, at least the way it has been interpreted by the courts, in that no federal immigration law can involved religious discrimination.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.