the same thing

For all the Orthodox who want to defend differences, and complain about Catholics saying that we are really the same I am happy to relate this experience.

We had an EO priest serving today whom I had not met before. Chatting during coffee, he asked where I was originally from. When I answered, he said: That is a center of Orthodoxy in America. I replied that I am a Byzantine Catholic. He said: “Oh it’s the same thing.”

Really?
Interesting.

Really.

He has a point.
Liturgy, spirituality…
Many things are the same.

I didn’t argue. I just thanked him for the breath of fresh air.

I see hope with things like this, or when Orthodox acknowledge that Catholic Sacraments are legitimate.:slight_smile:

Well, they are different. The Orthodox are not in line with Rome.

Did he offer you communion?

Some Orthodox priests, as I have read, let Catholics receive the Eucharist.

Rome is not in line with Holy Orthodoxy.

sigh Really? You really had to say that
Because saying that is really going to entice unity, or is it justify your own triumphalism?

You will meet priests of all types. When I was discerning Orthodoxy, I had an Orthodox priest tell me to speak with my Catholic spiritual director about what I should do.

You can find this strain of ecumenism from time to time. Unfortunate? Yes, but it is not representative of our faith. The ones who have seen the Uncreated Light speak loudly and clearly against this line of thinking.

There is also such a thing as being polite.

Had he said “Oh, well I guess that’s different then” I’m sure your conversation would have ended awkwardly and the two of you would have avoided talking to each other any more.

I’ve also noticed that in North America Orthodoxy and Eastern Catholicism tend to grow in parallel. So when talking about places where there are lots of Orthodox, you really are talking about the same things if you bring up Eastern Catholics.

Even then, one priest saying that the two are the same doesn’t prove all of us here wrong. One thing that distinguishes us from Catholics is that we don’t believe that any individual is infallible under any conditions.

I have met many Orthodox priests. This strain of ecumenism is common.

The ones who have seen the Uncreated Light speak loudly and clearly against this line of thinking.

Really? I am interested in documentation on this specific point.

Of course he was being polite, but surely he wasn’t insincere. I have had other responses. Most, but not all, are similar to this. A visiting woman monastic asked the resident priest if he knew that I was a heretic - this with a huge LOL; there has since emerged a very, very close relationship between her monastery and our Christ the Bridegroom monastery. The truth is relationships are closer and better than anyone would ever guess by reading here.

This site attracts a contingent of Orthodox who are interested in disunity. And apparently a RCs too. Fortuately this group really is not representative.

Even then, one priest saying that the two are the same doesn’t prove all of us here wrong. One thing that distinguishes us from Catholics is that we don’t believe that any individual is infallible under any conditions

This is not a matter to be proved. How very “scholastic” of you.

You may like to disagree with your priests, and like to think that you know better. But the infallibility comment is very revealing. Catholics also do not think that their priests are infallible; nor do they think their internet polemicists are. Oh, maybe that is the difference that you are thinking about.

I would rather say it is more common in some areas/jurisdictions than in others. Of all the priests I have met, only one held that view.

Read the writings of Elder Joseph the Hesychast, Elder Cleopa, Elder Paisios, and Elder Ephraim (just to name a few). When one noetically beholds the ineffable Glory of God, one comes to the knowledge of true Theology (as the Apostles received on Pentacost). All of the Glorified, without exception, oppose such ecumenism.

I would rather say that there are a few jurisdictions where it is uncommon. I am aware of the vicious persecution of Greek Catholics by some.

Read the writings of Elder Joseph the Hesychast, Elder Cleopa, Elder Paisios, and Elder Ephraim (just to name a few). When one noetically beholds the ineffable Glory of God, one comes to the knowledge of true Theology (as the Apostles received on Pentacost). All of the Glorified, without exception, oppose such ecumenism.

No, no, no. You made a claim on a specific topic. Provide the pertinent quotes from these Elders.

Ok. I am on a phone right now, but I will get you those quotes later tonight when I get home.

I’m not sure that’s allowed.

My post was not a polemic, as you accuse it of being. Your need to accuse those who disagree with you, however, is polemical. Good day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.