The scientific big-bang and evolution are truth you can find in the bible?

When GOD created the universe, everything POPPED out of thin vast space and I am sure it made that Bang, and the earth was instructed to produce what ever it has to offer. . .

God is Love, God gives, and in His love and Goodness only He knows and i seriously doubt that any human knowledge, sagacity, wisdom, etc… except maybe the simple happenings will ever come close to what He knows in his love about this subject.

so there probably was something like a loud bang or a quiet bang was created that ensued some of what is. if you hold to the big bang theory remember according to the theory that there was something or someone before the event. now in the bible if any of these theories, similar or different theories stay true even just from time. there may be evidence that stands against in the Bible ( through allegory, perspective etc… ) or through God’s Truth in His creation 'till they or one of them are proven empirically.

God bless

All knowledge is from GOD ie. All we know is what he allows us to know it can be through scientists or sages and Prophets and most importantly Christ…

Can you find about DNA, the building block of life and the carrier of our genetic makeup in the Bible?
Of course not!
The Bible is NOT a scientific book, and it does not claim to be one either.
Science can explain the natural world and grant us insight on the wondrous intelligence that made up the laws that govern our Universe.
The Bible tells us how to live our lifes so that we may merit the reward of living the rest of our infinite life with God.

When I read the first chapter genesis and look at the picture of how the galaxy’s are scattered across the universe and their articulate positions and distances from another .it is evident . I See SCIENCE, it is of scientific WORK indeed. .

+1, though I’ve often though about it, ‘Let there be light’, could be construed as the flash of the big bang, then the formation of the earth, the creation of plant life, then the creation of animal life and man. But that is only a sort of reverse allegory, reading into the text, at a later something that may never have been intended in the first place. Interesting though it may be.

I tend to view creation in Genesis as a statement that God created all those things in nature and the universe that people worshipped as gods, nature, animals, stars and moon etc. How could they be god if they were created by God? Similarly, man can be his own god.

You’ve got the big bang wrong - it was a rapid expansion of space, not an explosion in space.

The Catholic who first proposed the big bang theory, Monseigneur Georges Lemaître, said this:

“The writers of the Bible were illuminated more or less — some more than others — on the question of salvation. On other questions they were as wise or ignorant as their generation. Hence it is utterly unimportant that errors in historic and scientific fact should be found in the Bible, especially if the errors related to events that were not directly observed by those who wrote about them . . . The idea that because they were right in their doctrine of immortality and salvation they must also be right on all other subjects, is simply the fallacy of people who have an incomplete understanding of why the Bible was given to us at all.” :slight_smile:

He also said:

“Should a priest reject relativity because it contains no authoritative exposition on the doctrine of the Trinity? Once you realize that the Bible does not purport to be a textbook of science, the old controversy between religion and science vanishes . . . The doctrine of the Trinity is much more abstruse than anything in relativity or quantum mechanics; but, being necessary for salvation, the doctrine is stated in the Bible. If the theory of relativity had also been necessary for salvation, it would have been revealed to Saint Paul or to Moses . . . As a matter of fact neither Saint Paul nor Moses had the slightest idea of relativity.”

I don’t know about the bible, but it’s endorsed in the Catechism, and since the evidence of these happenings speaks for itself, and truth cannot contradict faith, I have no problem believing that God is powerful enough to create the world with naturalistic mechanism rather than ex nihilo.

I have also wondered about that, and agree it is interesting.

The Genesis stories can more or less be linked to the big bang and evolution.

I’m no theologian or scientist, but I think that you can fairly easily make a connection of Adam and Eve to evolution. Before eating the fruit they were pure and lived according to God’s will. In a way, all animals do this. After the fruit they were no longer pure and had sinned. At some point, the first humans began to have a cognitive understanding of the world and at that point, they also committed the first sin.

I think there was also a theory out there which even reconciles the 7 day creation to the billions of years creation of the universe.

Anyway, whether you believe in those or not, I think the stories of the Bible can fairly easily be linked to the modern scientific theories. The Bible never claims to be a scientific book, but the stories told in them are still inspired by God and can be stories that either tell the 100% factual truth or give a metaphoric account of what happened so that people could understand the complexities of what God had done in a simple fashion. At the end of the day, you just need to believe that God is the author of all life.

Soma have claimed Psalm 139:13-16 may point metaphorically towards God’s use of DNA and natural selection as processes to form his creations (God is both “maker and shaper,” after all), but it more obviously refers to God’s foreknowledge:

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

As a lay schmo, and not a scientist, I find all I NEED to know in the brief account of creation in Genesis. I have yet to read anything from the world of science which disputes the creation in Genesis, as long as I don’t go in for that young earth stuff, which is simply a strange and obstinate refutation of science and the spirit of the Genesis story from folks who won’t accept the possibility of allegory in scripture, even regarding events which are prehistoric to physical existence.

The point is here. If and when one tries to understand those kind of scientific phenomenon like univers’s creation and the sun’s blasting flames without GOD’s hand IN them, they sound crazy and unfounded. . Because they can not just happen on their own. . We need to align our understanding and findings, ie of our scientists with GOD’S word, for he want us to. This is the information Age. .past Stone age.
We are evolving right now. . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.