The search for the truth and faith

Surely searching for the truth is a virture but how does one search for the truth and have faith at the same time?

Searching for the truth requires one to doubt the presumptive truth that you already hold, faith forbids doubt.

Can anyone explain to me how searching for the truth and faith fit together?

Hi Peter,

Another Catholic forum has as its motto:** Faith seeking understanding.** In other words, you can accept by faith everything that the Church teaches without understanding everything. But by study and meditation you can gain ever deeper understanding and even increase the strength of your faith.That is seeking the truth. What do you think?

Verbum

Faith is an act of will.

Even the slowest among us can have faith even though they understand very little.

I don’t see how seeking to understand is counter-productive to the Act of faith. I often find that the results of my Truth Search really reinforce my faith. In fact I can’t think of time when seeking the Truth, that, it hasn’t resulted in increased faith.

If 1) Faith involves trust in Jesus as the son of God and 2) Jesus is “the Truth”, how can searching for truth and faith not be happening together, with the same end?

Searching for the truth requires one to doubt the presumptive truth that you already hold, faith forbids doubt.

I disagree, faith allows for doubt and provides a means of dispelling it.

Can anyone explain to me how searching for the truth and faith fit together?

Faith and searching always go together - With or without Scripture we know that God Is:

Rom 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God himself has made it plain to them.
Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes-his eternal power and divine nature-have been understood and observed by what he made, so that people are without excuse.

Faith is the engine which prompts us to search.
In searching we are given more Faith to find that which is the Truth contained within us. Then we given even more Faith to accept that Truth when we find it.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things we hope for, the certainty of things we cannot see.

All of which comes through Grace.

Grace is something God offers to us of His own free will in order to fulfill His wish that we all be saved.

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some people understand slowness, but is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to perish, but wants everyone to come to repentance.

In order to fulfill His wish we must accept and then act upon the Graces He gives us. For example, Scripture states that no one seeks God

Romans 3:10 As it is written, "Not even one person is righteous.
Rom 3:11 No one understands. No one searches for God.
Rom 3:12 All have turned away. Together they have become worthless. No one shows kindness, not even one person!

Yet, people seek Him. Scripture states again that no man can come to the Lord unless God draw him

Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him to life on the last day.

When God offers us Grace and we do not act upon it, that grace is lost to us. If we do not believe in the reality that Jesus died and rose again, it is toward our own destruction

Joh 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s unique Son.
Joh 3:19 And this is the basis for judgment: The light has come into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light because their actions were evil.

The Grace we received to question about God and to hear and receive the Scriptures is for nothing, if we do not accept and then act upon that knowledge

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

So Faith and Grace are mixed together into the search for Truth, and the acceptance of that Truth once found, all by the Grace of God - in whom we seek.

Peace

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.