..."the seas would be no more"

As the title states, I don’t really want this thread to have an official topic (assuming that’s allowed). I was keeping up with the recent thread about debunking the rapture, which has gone a bit off topic, and I learned a lot from the different insights people were offering. So that’s what I’d like this thread to be: a collage of insights that people can learn from. As long as people are taking the topics here somewhat seriously, I don’t think we can go wrong.

To get us started, my curiosity was stoked by a comment made in the “need help debunking the rapture” thread. Once Christ returns and begins his reign on earth, the comment said that the seas would be no more. So what would happen to people who love to fish and sail and the like?

I think , that when Jesus spoke , he didn’t perhaps always mean literally ,
To say the the seas would no longer be here, did he really mean those words ?
Simply because if their were no seas, then where would all that water go ?
It would also mean their would be no more storms for water to accumulate …
Perhaps we miss the interpretation ,or the meaning had been lost over millennia

Where would all the water go? It’d vanish. He’s God. He can do supernatural acts.

That was my comment. It is taken directly from Revelation 21.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband; (Revelation 21:1-2)

The sea often represented doubt, uncertainty, strife, turmoil and fear. That is what is meant when Jesus calms the sea.

*And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O men of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. (Matthew 8:26) *

Jesus casts out doubt and fear and brings peace and calmness. Sometimes the sea represents the Gentile nations and the land represents Israel.

Then I saw another mighty angel coming down from heaven, wrapped in a cloud, with a rainbow over his head, and his face was like the sun, and his legs like pillars of fire. He had a little scroll open in his hand. And he set his right foot on the sea, and his left foot on the land, (Revelation 10:1-2)

To have your foot on a nation means that you control the nation. The angel controls both the Gentile nations (sea) and the nation of Israel (land).

The word sea appears several hundred times in the Bible. Sometimes the author is talking about a literal sea, just a large body of water, and there is no other meaning. Other times it has a spiritual sense such as Israel’s salvation in passing through the Red Sea but Pharaoh and his troops destruction in that same sea, or the flood of Noah as a prefiguring of baptism (1 Peter 3:20-21).

I don’t think St. John was really concerned with sailing and such when he wrote the Book of Revelation. I could be wrong however. He was a fisherman by trade. I really know nothing.

-Tim-

As per the Forum Rules each thread must remain on one topic only.

Jesus Christ is reigning right now in heaven, does He have to give that up, empty his status again, to reign on earth? When He is already reigning.

I will make you fishers of men. You will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. That was fulfilled in Acts. I will make you fishers of men. No sea, nothing to fish, but there is a new heaven and new earth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.