The second anointing

In reading the thread about the excommunication of Sam Young I noticed in the list of grievances the following:
10. Keeping secret the ordinance of the Second Anointing and the fact that it is taking place today in our temples. What is this ordinance? How does one qualify for it? Why is it not open to all? What does this ordinance mean for those receiving it?
Personally I believe in reincarnation, I believe in an ultimate goal but it will require more than one lifetime to achieve it. I don’t believe that there is any ceremony that anyone can do to increase there chances of a better afterlife and this includes baptism.
The interesting point for me depends on if the leadership believe the SA provide some sort of afterlife benefit to those who receive it. If they believe it then why are they keeping it a secret and thereby preventing there membership from doing whatever is required to receive it? If they don’t believe it has an afterlife value then why are they continuing to spread false teachings?

The only second anointing I am aware of is that referred to in the part of the Catechism of the Catholic Church dealing with the Sacrament of Confirmation . The quote below is from that section .

" A custom of the Roman Church facilitated the development of the Western practice: a double anointing with sacred chrism after Baptism. The first anointing of the neophyte on coming out of the baptismal bath was performed by the priest; it was completed by a second anointing on the forehead of the newly baptized by the bishop. The first anointing with sacred chrism, by the priest, has remained attached to the baptismal rite; it signifies the participation of the one baptized in the prophetic, priestly, and kingly offices of Christ. If Baptism is conferred on an adult, there is only one post-baptismal anointing, that of Confirmation."

who is sam young. the catholic church doesn’t have temples. is this LDS?

This does sound lds… probably that bishop recently excommunicated.

Otherwise probably confirmation or holy orders.

Since it uses anointing and no reference of sacrament it is probably LDS.

I miss my Mormon friends terribly I tried so hard to share with them but even now they have totally shunned me against their own heart when they realized I would never join.

Lds is one of the worst things ever happen to me and I was never a member

Second anointing is probably what is called endowment in LDS

You have to be temple worthy probably. It is separate from their baptism

Sorry for multiple post I’m tired and forgot.

The second anointing is not related to the endowment. It’s a totally separate ordinance, performed in the LDS temples.

Here’s an interesting story about the second anointing if you’re interested.

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/tom-phillips-and-the-second-anointing/

LDS is hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I was a member for 57 years.

Thank you for this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.