The Selection of Pope

Hi All
I have a question for you. If the Holy Spirit guides the leaders of your church in the selection of a new Pope, why is the vote Not
unanimous? Would the Holy spirit lead some of the leaders in one direction and some in another direction?
Thank you
In Him and Only Him

The answer lies in the manner in which you asked the question. The Holy Spirit guides the Cardinal electors. The Spirit doesn’t make their decision for them.

-ACEGC

[quote=NonDenom]Hi All
I have a question for you. If the Holy Spirit guides the leaders of your church in the selection of a new Pope, why is the vote Not
unanimous? Would the Holy spirit lead some of the leaders in one direction and some in another direction?
Thank you
In Him and Only Him
[/quote]

No, it’s just that the majority is more attuned at the moment to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Those who initially might have a different opinion on the most suitable candidate and then join in the final acclamation are like those who come a little bit later to the feast. :slight_smile:

because even the leaders of the church are still human, and
subject to human emotion and ‘self-interest’…

but, the Spirit leads enough to the truth, so that the right
man is selected…

but, this reminds me of something that happened when i
was a kid… in the Baptist church i attended, they were
looking for a new preacher… they had 4 or 5 that came
and gave a sermon, on successive Sundays… every single one,
said the same thing after they gave the sermon, they said
that they felt the Holy Spirit was calling them to come and
be the preacher at that church…

well, after the ‘trial sermons’, they had a meeting after
church one Sunday to decide which one was the right
preacher for us… an old guy stood up and said, 'well, i can tell
you one thing for sure, the Holy Spirit knows we only
need one preacher, so 3 of them fellows are lying"… lol

i don’t necessarily think they were lying, but maybe they
felt something else calling them… but, we ended up with
the right man…

:slight_smile:

[quote=NonDenom]Hi All
Thank you
In Him and Only Him
[/quote]

Even if the Cardinals got together and conspired to make a selection for some crazy reason for someone who shouldn’t be Pope, the Holy Spirit will protect the truth.

This is evident in how we have had some crummy Popes and never any change in doctrine.

I would suggest you read Pope Fiction to get a good overview on Popes.
Here is a link, to a sample from the book
envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.2/mar_apr98_coverstory.html
The book goes into far greater detail and you can look into the facts to check accuracy. It also covers the continuity of the dogma and the Church

God Bless
Scylla

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.