The Sepuagint

I read the below information from wikipedia:

“Rabbis first translated the Torah into Koine Greek in the third century BC[5]. According to the record in the Talmud,

‘King Ptolemy once gathered 72 Elders. He placed them in 72 chambers, each of them in a separate one, without revealing to them why they were summoned. He entered each one’s room and said: ‘Write for me the Torah of Moshe, your teacher.’ God put it in the heart of each one to translate identically as all the others did’[6]

Further books were translated over the next two centuries. It is not altogether clear which was translated when, or where; some may even have been translated twice, into different versions, and then revised.[7] The quality and style of the different translators also varied considerably from book to book, from the literal to paraphrasing to interpretative. According to one assessment “the Pentateuch is reasonably well translated, but the rest of the books, especially the poetical books, are often very poorly done and even contain sheer absurdities”.[8]

As the work of translation progressed gradually, and new books were added to the collection, the compass of the Greek Bible came to be somewhat indefinite. The Pentateuch always maintained its pre-eminence as the basis of the canon; but the prophetic collection (out of which the Nevi’im were selected) changed its aspect by having various hagiographa incorporated into it. Some of the newer works, those called anagignoskomena in Greek, are not included in the Jewish canon. Among these books are Maccabees and the Wisdom of Ben Sira. Also, the Septuagint version of some works, like Daniel and Esther, are longer than those in the Masoretic Text.[9] Some of the later books (Wisdom of Solomon, 2 Maccabees, and others) apparently were composed in Greek.”

I’m not well informed of the origin of the Septuagint but I find it a little disturbing that ““the Pentateuch is reasonably well translated, but the rest of the books, especially the poetical books, are often very poorly done and even contain sheer absurdities”

Can someone please clarify or explain this?

God bless,

I’m not well informed of the origin of the Septuagin

I suggest you start learning, friend. It’s a good place to start to learn fact from fiction about the Septuagin.

newadvent.org/cathen/13722a.htm

1. Do not ever rely on Wiki as an accurate source of info. It is editable by anyone. Whatever you read on Wiki, you must verify with another separate, credible source.

2. If you want accurate *Catholic *information, go to a *Catholic *source. As the above poster recommended, New Advent is an excellent resource.

The Pentateuch (Torah) is the best attested and earliest codified part of the Jewish Scripture (Christian Old Testament). The other part of Jewish Scripture – the Prophets and the Writings - were codified later, and yes there some different versions in circulation. The :Prophets" were codified prior to the “Writings” as it’s likely some of the “Writings” were still being written shortly before and perhaps even during Jesus’ time. It wasn’t until the 2nd century A.D. that the Jews formally codified what was Scripture…and which specific versions of books that had more than one version.

Languages are terribly difficult to translate, even if the translation is accurate word for word, the true meaning might be lost because different cultures think differently. The Tanakh does not contain greek thought. It is all hebrew thought.

For instance there is a german proverb which goes:

“The nut falls not far from the tree.”

If an english speaker hears this, then he ordinarily thinks that the german speaker means.

“A chip off the old block”

However, that is not what germans mean by that saying. They mean that:

“The thought lies not far from the deed.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.