The Seventh and First Day controversy

In my research of various churches, the bible, and so on, a Sabbatarian friend of mine gave me this book on the Seventh Day Sabbath which gives a rather forceful argument from the bible on why we were to keep it:

Jesus kept it…

Jesus said:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Matthew 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Amongst others. It seems rather solid to me and all this but, I would still like to get an opposing view on the issue before I just flippantly commit to some dogma. Would you please tell me, or redirect me to a book, the Catholic position on the issue in a comprehensive manner?

Here is the best explanation I’ve found debunking the issue. The group is ex-seventh day Adventists:

exadventist.com/Home/Sabbath/tabid/53/Default.aspx

Make sure that you use the information but do not tell your friend it’s ex SDA, they simply will not listen. Just use the info as it’s layed out. I’ve an ex-seventh day sabbath keeper and I can tell you honestly, these folks have done there homework. God bless and good luck!

Thank you. Is there any other material I can be refered to?

Here are some articles from the Catholic Answers’ magazine THIS ROCK that will be helpful:

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9109prot.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9312chap.asp

catholic.com/library/seventh_day_adventism.asp

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish but to fulfill. …I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and pharisees, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven,” Matthew 5:17ff.

In other words, the Law must be kept in a way that is greater than a mere legal observance of the Commandments. It must be exceeded by the example of Him Who embodies the Righteousness behind the Law: Jesus Christ. This is why Christians are not bound by the Law, but by the New Covenant of grace and love in Jesus Christ. Sunday is the day the fulfillment of the New Covenant in Love - not in Law - (and an anticipation of the day of the coming of the Lord of Love in glory) when the Divine Food that binds us to this Covenant is received by those united in the fullness of His Church.

Adventists, with their strong fixation on the OT, have adopted a very legal-minded attitude toward obeying God that is far more Jewish than it is Christian. But, again, we in the New Covenant are not a people of “law,” but a people of grace who live in a Covenant based on Love. No “law” binds you or any Christian to Jesus Christ; rather, you are bound to Him by a Covenant of Faith and Love, and you obey Him because of that Covenant of Faith and Love (per Hebrews 5:9, Romans 16:26, etc). Obedience does not have to be based on Law. Obedience can be based on faith and love, and the latter is the nature of the New Covenant in Christ. This is the Good News of the Gospel, and the Adventists are largely blind to it.

Or rather, a NEW Sabbath has been inaugurated. The reason there are two sabbaths and not just one is probably because salvation history will have TWO sabbaths, and not just one, that is, first an IMPERFECT Sabbath (the OLD one) followed by the true Sabbath (the New One).

Put simply, the imagery of the days of creation, according to several ECFs, is a foreshadowing of the RE-creation of the world, that is, the Redemption of Man. Hence, salvation history is a succession of “ages” or “days”, the first part of which is the prevalence of “sin”(darkness, “evening came”) followed by Redemption (light, “morning followed”). Then, the imagery implies that, from the Fall of Man to the end of the world and New Creation will be exactly “eight ages” inclusive.

And this agrees with most Catholic data when we assume the general scenario of the approved mystics.

Five ages delineate the Old Law:

I. The Fall/ the Flood
II. Babel/Language Confounding and calling of Abraham
III. Egypt’s Enslavement / Exodus and Kingdom of Isreal
IV. Intermediate Jewish Falling Away / Exile and Restoration
V. Second Falling away and OT Antichrist Antiochus / First Coming of Christ

In the sixth day, God “creates” man in His own image, in the sixth age, God RE-creates man in His image by bringing the Gentiles into the light of Christ:

VI. Pagan Rome persecutes / Catholic Christendom

The seventh day is the Old, imperfect Sabbath:

VII. Minor Apostasy (1500 - today) / Glorious Restoration of Catholicism and age of peace (according to mystics)

Hence, in the seventh day there is truly “rest” for God’s People, for God will show humanity the consequences of its apostasy through the Minor Chastisement, reuniting Christians and gloriously restoring the faith throughout the world.

Finally, there is the eighth day:

VIII. the Great Apostasy and NT Antichrist / the Second Coming of Christ and New Creation

Note, when humantiy falls away the second time from Catholicism, they no longer have the excuse they have now because of Christian division. They are unforgivable and irredeemable. and so the world must end with the Second Coming, which brings the utlimate Sabbath, the eternal New Creation.

Note also the parallel of the days of the weeks: day “eight” is also day “one”, just as the eighth note in a scale in music brings one back to the first note, only one “octave” higher. Similarly, there are parallels between day one and day eight. In day one, the Fall holds reign over humanity (in Noah’s day, most of mankind is wicked), unchecked by any Redemption. So God DESTROYS the world and BEGINS the Redemption of humanity. In the eighth day, the Fall once again reigns in humanity (the Gentiles have permanently and irrevocably rejected the Gospel), and again God destroys the world. But so then in the first day God BEGAN the redemption of humanity by using WATER to destroy but also cleanse/redeem the world, so in the eighth day, God ENDS the Redemption by destroying the world by FIRE, condemning it because it is irredeemable and unforgivable. And in both cases, a NEW World begins, the first, a world that is starting to be redeemed. in the eighth, a world that has already been redeemed is passing into the ULTIMATE New World, the everlasting Resurrection and New Creation.

Similarly with the Beast: see Revelation 17: “Five have fallen” (the Old Law). “One is” (Pagan Rome, the sixth), “the other has not yet come” (the seventh , the minor apostasy), “and the beast which was and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goes into perdition” (the fallen nature of man is consummate with all the stages of the beast, and the beast “was” (the fall reigned in the first head, unchecked by Redemption), and the beast “is again” in the eighth (the fall reigns again at the end of the world, but this time irredeemable)).

I know this i alot but it’ll give them something to think about.
:slight_smile:

addenduum:

the beast “is not” between heads one and eight because humanity is in the process of being redeemed, that is, because God is still “remaking humanity”, the fall takes a back seat to God’s Love and Power that is gradually restoring man unto Himself.

“And now arise, O Lord God, and go to thy RESTing place, thou and the ark of thy might. Let thy priests, O Lord God, be clothed with salvation, and let thy saints rejoice in thy goodness.” 1 Chr.6:41, Ps.132:8. Jesus, the living God, the ONE who does not abolish but fullfills(Matt.5:17), rested from all His work(Rom.4:24) of New Creation(2 Cor.5: 17) on the FIRST Day(Gen.2.3, Luke 24:51), therefore blessing it and sanctifying it.
Case closed.Folks, they don’t call me “threadkiller” for nothing.:cool:

Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday.

It’s only a ‘controversy’ to SDA. However, not to be rude, SDA are closer to being Judaizers than anything else.

That being said, if they are so dead set on it being Sat. because that is what the law says, ask him then

1. Does he eat Kosher Meat?
  2. Does he Put the Scroll on the front of his door?
  3. Does he celebrate the ‘Jubilee’ festivals as well as all the other festivals in Leviticus?
  4. Does he sacrifice goats, lambs, doves etc?

If he says no, ask him why then is his group being so selective about which day to worship.
Also remind him that if you are going to subject yourself to part of the law, you subject yourself to all of the law, and Christ suffering amounts to nothing.
I think some guy by the name of Saul said that a long time ago.

In Christ

I think the argument from Matt 24:20 is sound. Although there are other possible reasons why the sabbath would have been a poor day for travel, the notion that the journey would have proved unfortunate in terms of religious factors seems strongest.

The Matt 5 text is less appropriate, however, since elements of the “law” did eventually vanish with the dawn of the Christian age (which the fathers compared to a new creation). There is no basis for limiting the reference to the “law” as a reference to the Ten Commandments alone; the laws of circumcision, meats, and washings are also in view–laws which did pass away.

Still, I would direct you to another passage in the gospels that intimates the sabbatarian inclinations of the writers of the gospel:

Sabbath Preparation and the Johannine Community: A Brief Note on John 19:42

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.